The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

There was a guy on HFBoards who claimed he has some inside information. Apparently he said that the Canucks were higher on Juolevi than Tkachuk at this time last year. People over there seem to be taking him somewhat seriously as he has been right in the past, but take this all with a  grain of salt.

He said that they have players ranked in different categories. Categories like "offensive forwards," "2-way forwards," offensive defensemen," etc. (which is not hard to believe).

Reading in between the lines a little bit, you can gather some information.

This information is all from him:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offensive Forwards:

1) Hischier

2) Tippet

3) _______

4) _______

5) Mittlestadt

6) _______

7) _______

8) Vilardi

He seems to know that Hischier and Tippet are the top 2 in this category, and Vilardi is at 8th. He also says that we have Yammamoto somewhere ahead of Vilardi, but not sure if that means he could also be above Mittlestadt.

2-Way Forwards:

1) Patrick

2) Necas

3) _______

4) Rasmussen

Patrick is obviously 1st, but he says we are very high on Necas. Rasmussen also comes in at 4th on this list.

Offensive Defensemen:

1) Liljegren

2) Makar

3) Joseph

He has them in this order.

Defensive Defensmen:

Hague

He didn't include a ranking, but said that they have Hague listed as a defensive defenseman.

2-Way Defensemen:

1) ________

2) Valimaki

3) Foote

He said Foote was #3 and then in a later reply revealed that Valimaki is at #2.

Other Notes:

He really stressed how picks 4-16 are equal. There is absolutely no difference other than personal preference/team need in that range. Patrick and Hischier should be the first two forwards gone (duh) and Liljegren should be the first defenseman gone. There has been chatter on Tippet and they might be high on him. He says Necas, Rasmussen, Tippet and/or Petterson are likely the preferred players outside the top 3.

That's all the information he gave. Take it all with a grain of salt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I'm happy that they're considering Petterson. I'm also slightly pleased that we likely won't be taking Vilardi as his skating is a concern. I haven't seen Tippet a lot, but I have heard a lot of mixed reviews. His shot is apparently similar to Boeser's but he has been drawing a lot of Virtanen comparisons as a lower IQ player.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

There was a guy on HFBoards who claimed he has some inside information. Apparently he said that the Canucks were higher on Juolevi than Tkachuk at this time last year. People over there seem to be taking him somewhat seriously as he has been right in the past, but take this all with a  grain of salt.

He said that they have players ranked in different categories. Categories like "offensive forwards," "2-way forwards," offensive defensemen," etc. (which is not hard to believe).

2-Way Defensemen:

1) ________

2) Valimaki

3) Foote

Heiskanen is probably #1 two-way dman.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offensive Forwards:

1) Hischier

2) Tippet

3) _______

4) _______

5) Mittlestadt

6) _______

7) _______

8) Vilardi

He seems to know that Hischier and Tippet are the top 2 in this category, and Vilardi is at 8th. He also says that we have Yammamoto somewhere ahead of Vilardi, but not sure if that means he could also be above Mittlestadt.

2-Way Forwards:

1) Patrick

2) Necas

3) _______

4) Rasmussen

Patrick is obviously 1st, but he says we are very high on Necas. Rasmussen also comes in at 4th on this list.

Offensive Defensemen:

1) Liljegren

2) Makar

3) Joseph

Defensive Defensmen:

Hague

He didn't include a ranking, but said that they have Hague listed as a defensive defenseman.

2-Way Defensemen:

1) ________

2) Valimaki

3) Foote

Other Notes:

He really stressed how picks 4-16 are equal. There is absolutely no difference other than personal preference/team need in that range. Patrick and Hischier should be the first two forwards gone (duh) and Liljegren should be the first defenseman gone. There has been chatter on Tippet and they might be high on him. He says Necas, Rasmussen, Tippet and/or Petterson are likely the preferred players outside the top 3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I'm happy that they're considering Petterson. I'm also slightly pleased that we likely won't be taking Vilardi as his skating is a concern. I haven't seen Tippet a lot, but I have heard a lot of mixed reviews. His shot is apparently similar to Boeser's but he has been drawing a lot of Virtanen comparisons as a lower IQ player.

Who is Joseph? for offensive D. I dont see him ranked anywhere?

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Offensive Forwards:

1) Hischier

2) Tippet

3) _______

4) _______

5) Mittlestadt

6) _______

7) _______

8) Vilardi

2-Way Forwards:

1) Patrick

2) Necas

3) _______

4) Rasmussen

Offensive Defensemen:

1) Liljegren

2) Makar

3) Joseph

Defensive Defensmen:

Hague

2-Way Defensemen:

1) ________

2) Valimaki

3) Foote

Other Notes:

If we won #1, id be taking Hischier. But realistically outside the top 3. Id want Necas,Peterrson, Liljegren if still available, Middlestadt. But realistically this draft licks monkey turds, so ill be happy with mostly anybody they pick,except Tippet & Rasmussen.

Necas would be my first choice, such a smart player, great skater, good on the backcheck/forecheck, great on the PP, makes good reads, hes got some stickhandling too. I think he will be a good pro, depending on commitment obvs. He needs to bulk up, work on his balance.

12 minutes ago, KKnight said:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=188337

I had never heard of him until I saw that post. I'm not sure about rankings and why he hasn't shown up on those. He's playing on the same team as Neill and Brisebois, so our staff has probably gotten some extra looks at him.

8 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=188337

I had never heard of him until I saw that post. I'm not sure about rankings and why he hasn't shown up on those. He's playing on the same team as Neill and Brisebois, so our staff has probably gotten some extra looks at him.

He was in the Top Prospects game as well. I don't know much about him. We would be raiding Charlottetown. I double check he's ranked 31 by  hockeyprospects.com january ranking. 

40 minutes ago, KKnight said:

He was in the Top Prospects game as well. I don't know much about him. We would be raiding Charlottetown. I double check he's ranked 31 by  hockeyprospects.com january ranking. 

Sounds like an offensive defenseman we could be targeting with our 2nd rounder.

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Offensive Forwards:

1) Hischier

2) Tippet

3) _______

4) _______

5) Mittlestadt

6) _______

7) _______

8) Vilardi

2-Way Forwards:

1) Patrick

2) Necas

3) _______

4) Rasmussen

Offensive Defensemen:

1) Liljegren

2) Makar

3) Joseph

Defensive Defensmen:

Hague

2-Way Defensemen:

1) ________

2) Valimaki

3) Foote

Other Notes:

I'm definelty a fan of Tippett but not sure what the verdict is on where he'll go. Of the mock drafts I've seen so far he's gone from anywhere between 4th and 18th. We would be just about set at forward if we got Tippett, we'd just need that top line center. 

I don't understand. Outside of Hischier, who can possibly be rated higher than Mittlestad in offense? I guess it's because I haven't kept up with this draft as much as previous drafts... can anyone with more knowledge expand more on Tippett? What are his best skillsets? What are his weaknesses? Player comparisons? What is his projection? NHL star? Top line? Second line? Likelihood? How does he compare to other players similar to him in the draft? 

4 hours ago, KKnight said:

3 hours ago, KKnight said:

He was actually one of the dmen that really stood out to me in that game. If he's ranked early-mid 2nd that would be awesome if snagged him. He's big and made a lot of fast plays with the puck. Not so much fast as in panicking but quick good plays. I think I remember him getting around the ice pretty quickly as well. He'd be a hell of a good 2nd round snag

Tippet is the only OHL player in the top 100 of points per game all time in his draft year for the OHL.
The closest comparables from recent drafts are Alex Nylander and Max Domi in terms of production. But he's a lot bigger than those guys.
He only has 9 PPG goals this year though, and is putting 4.8 shots on net per game.
His primary points per 60 is 2.75, that's good for 14th overall in the whole CHL.
Gabe Vilardi and Nico Hischier are ahead of him in that department, but he's top 3 in draft eligible players in that regard.
Tippet is the top goals/60 draft eligible player in the CHL right now as well.

Robert Thomas and Gabe Vilardi lead the way in primary assists per 60 in the CHL.

Another player flying under the radar is
JONAH GADJOVICH
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=252476

His primary points per 60 is ahead of guys like:
Kailer Yamamoto
Cody Glass
Robert Thomas
Nick Suzuki

Ivan Lodnia also ranks very well by primary points per 60 he is top 25 in the whole CHL and 4th among first time draft eligible guys.  He's playing behind Taylor Raddysh, Dylan Strome, and Alex Debricat too. Next year his ice time could go from 14 mins per game up to around 18 or 19.

Cody Glass and Nick Suzuki are 20th and 21st overall for second assists per 60. This isn't exactly a bad thing, but just that their stats might be inflated a bit because of what other people are doing. Having said that we learned the other day that powerplay second assists are actually more important than power play goals in terms of projecting consistent offense. Where as goals and first assists at even strength are much better than secondary assists.

Edited by Derp...
  • Upvote 2

On 2/13/2017 at 9:30 AM, Brobidus said:

I'm very much hoping for a more skilled player with our 1st rounder this year. The 2 way players have been great but we've been missing a pure skill player since we traded off Shinkaruk. 
Would love to see Hischier, Vilardi or Pettersson, Necas in our system. 

Funny, because these are all guys with good two-way ability.

I agree with @J.R.'s comment about the whole "meat and potatoes" thing. Some of the best skill guys available in any league can also possess good two-way ability. It's not as black and white as most make it out to be. 

Breaking down points into different situations and giving them a value accordingly based on https://hockey-graphs.com/2016/10/26/introducing-box-plus-minus/ gave me a list for OHL players. I'm calling it PPI for now. Here's a look at the players who contributed the most in terms of point importance on a goal.

Top 50 OHL Forwards:

Forwards  
TOTAL PPI Name
30.356 Nick Suzuki
30.109 Owen Tippett
25.868 Jason Robertson
23.455 Joseph Garreffa
23.047 Robert Thomas
21.856 Ivan Lodnia
21.111 Matthew Strome
21.069 Jonah Gadjovich
20.231 Austen Keating
20.041 Morgan Frost
19.87 Gabriel Vilardi
19.458 Lucas Chiodo
18.154 Isaac Ratcliffe
18.098 Brady Gilmour
17.072 Jack Studnicka
16.385 Zach Gallant
15.673 Ben Jones
15.284 Greg Meireles
14.642 Linus Nyman
14.627 Macauley Carson
13.855 Sasha Chmelevski
13.741 Adam Ruzicka
13.027 Albert Michnac
12.714 Alex Formenton
11.385 Oliver Castleman
10.958 MacKenzie Entwistle
10.887 Cole Coskey
10.872 Kirill Maksimov
10.426 Nate Schnarr
10.299 Matthew Philip
10.199 Maksim Sushko
10.129 Daniil Vertiy
9.342 Marian Studenic
8.985 Brett Neumann
8.541 Ryan McGregor
7.771 Luke Boka
7.514 Liam Hawel
7.514 Danial Singer
7.1 Aidan McFarland
7.1 Gera Poddubnyi
7 Darian Pilon
6.656 Jason Willms
6.615 Zachary Roberts
6.528 Dylan Seitz
6.471 Liam Stevens
6.456 Nick McHugh
6.428 Renars Krastenbergs
6.386 Ondrej Machala
6.027 Cole Purboo
5.715 Nick Pryce
5.7 C.J. Clarke

Top 20 OHL Defence  
TOTAL PPI Name
19.642 Conor Timmins
15.41 Eemeli Rasanen
15.223 Nicolas Hague
14.371 Adam Thilander
13.345 Noel Hoefenmayer
10.951 Markus Phillips
10.689 Sean Durzi
10.218 Tom Hedberg
9.311 Kade Landry
8.863 Nick Grima
8.152 Brady Lyle
7.036 Dmitri Samorukov
6.367 Cole Fraser
6.163 Mac Hollowell
4.995 Reagan O'Grady
4.968 Hayden Davis
4.732 Liam Ham
4.339 Elijah Roberts
4.121 Joey Keane
4.05 Fedor Gordeev
3.081 Drew Hunter

Couple things stick out. Conor Timmins is having a great year, ad doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention. Jason Robertson and Joseph Garreffa are both key contributors on their teams and would be good picks. Also these are totals based on current goals and assists not on a per game hence why Vilardi is so low. Probably will do that later.

Edited by Derp...

Here are some highlights from the U-18 Five Nations Tournament for team US:

JB watched this tournament.

Joshua Norris #14

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=273954

Grant Mismash #16

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=269306

I could see JB eyeing up these players. Norris will be going to UMichigan to play with Lockwood next year and Mismash will be going to UND.

One step closer to a top 3 pick after tonight's L ...Good new considering it's a total crapshoot after Liljegren and Hischier are off the board

As much as I like Pettersson and the Finnish defencemen in this draft, we really need bonafide superstar, and I don't see that happening unless we continue to fall

(Not a Tippett, nor a Vilardi fan)

10 hours ago, Zoolander said:

One step closer to a top 3 pick after tonight's L ...Good new considering it's a total crapshoot after Liljegren and Hischier are off the board

As much as I like Pettersson and the Finnish defencemen in this draft, we really need bonafide superstar, and I don't see that happening unless we continue to fall

(Not a Tippett, nor a Vilardi fan)

Watch us finish 28th+/- and drop 3 spots again :picard:

Come on hockey gods, we're due!!!