The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

35 minutes ago, danaimo said:

Has it been confirmed that Canucks get the CBJ 2nd pick this year?   Because I believe that they can exercise the option to wait until next year.

I remember an article mentioning that Columbus has until the start of June to decide whether we get the 2017 2nd or 2018 2nd. 
Last year Friedman tweeted on the 1st of June that Columbus had deferred the pick: (https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/two-more-teams-will-retain-their-draft-picks-and-defer-compensation)
Nucks Misconduct also had an article quoting the 1st of June: (http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2015/10/21/9582916/blue-jackets-hire-john-tortorella-and-canucks-get-a-2nd-round-pick)

I swear that this year will be the same (either the 1st or 2nd of June) but I can't find an article that says by when Columbus has to decide by.
Hope this helps!

What I am afraid of is we fall to 5th and Patrick/Hischier/Vilardi/Middlestadt get selected and we are at 5th.  Whom does Benning take?  Does he go with Liljegren, whose stock has been falling or go with Necas/Glass.  I been so hyped up on either Middlestadt/Vilardi and with last year's draft disappointment at the time picking of Juolevi and not Tkachuk it would be tough if this was the scenario.  Although I would rather have Necas/Glass if this was the case.

7 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

I remember an article mentioning that Columbus has until the start of June to decide whether we get the 2017 2nd or 2018 2nd. 
Last year Friedman tweeted on the 1st of June that Columbus had deferred the pick: (https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/two-more-teams-will-retain-their-draft-picks-and-defer-compensation)
Nucks Misconduct also had an article quoting the 1st of June: (http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2015/10/21/9582916/blue-jackets-hire-john-tortorella-and-canucks-get-a-2nd-round-pick)

I swear that this year will be the same (either the 1st or 2nd of June) but I can't find an article that says by when Columbus has to decide by.
Hope this helps!

Guess the depends on if they think know next  year 2nd is deeper than this year's.   Would be nice if it was this year though, nice little bonus.  Does anyone know if next year's draft will have a deeper talent pool?

17 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Guess the depends on if they think know next  year 2nd is deeper than this year's.   Would be nice if it was this year though, nice little bonus.  Does anyone know if next year's draft will have a deeper talent pool?

I have heard that this years draft is weaker than 2018 will be, but who really knows for sure.  I think CBJ having such a good year this season will be what influences them to send the pick to us this year.

• Upvote 1

In their 47 year history the Canucks have never had a 1st overall. They've had a few 2nd overalls (Tallon, Linden, Nedved and Daniel), but never a first. It would sure be nice to finally get one. They're way overdue. This team needs a jolt of good luck for a change. I'm okay if they stay put and get 2nd overall, as we'd still end up with Patrick or Hischier. Worst case scenario is they pick #5, and they'll still get a good player, but not a #1 type player. They need this.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

In their 47 year history the Canucks have never had a 1st overall. They've had a few 2nd overalls (Tallon, Linden, Nedved and Daniel), but never a first. It would sure be nice to finally get one. They're way overdue. This team needs a jolt of good luck for a change. I'm okay if they stay put and get 2nd overall, as we'd still end up with Patrick or Hischier. Worst case scenario is they pick #5, and they'll still get a good player, but not a #1 type player. They need this.

I'd rather get the first overall pick next year. Draft a C this year and take Rasmus Dahlin 1st OA next year. One can dream:towel:.

Edited by CANUCK-EXPRESS
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

What I am afraid of is we fall to 5th and Patrick/Hischier/Vilardi/Middlestadt get selected and we are at 5th.  Whom does Benning take?  Does he go with Liljegren, whose stock has been falling or go with Necas/Glass.  I been so hyped up on either Middlestadt/Vilardi and with last year's draft disappointment at the time picking of Juolevi and not Tkachuk it would be tough if this was the scenario.  Although I would rather have Necas/Glass if this was the case.

I still get nightmares from last years draft. The worst possible thing that could happen to us happened. Canucks luck eh. Dubois didn't look good during the World Juniors though and I am stilll very happy with Juolevi. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

To be honest, the combine means nothing. To be completely frank. The interviews are the more important part. 

The interviews are crucial. Anyone remember Ryan Pilon, WHL defender and possible 1st round draft pick who retired from the game. It must have become quite clear in the interview stage that he wasn't into the game anymore. 

Edited by canuckpuckluck15
clarify 1st round not 1st overall

26 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

I'd rather get the first overall pick next year. Draft a C this year and take Rasmus Dahlin 1st OA next year. One can dream:towel:.

Yeah, Dahlin is very talented, going to be a star. Canucks D would be strong at LD

Juolevi

Dahlin

Hutton

Tryamkin (if he returns)

McEneny

Brisebois

• Upvote 1

What is the expectation with Valardi as a top pick? Is he a true top 2 center. I seem to recall either Button or Mackenzie saying he may be a better fit as a winger at the next level. Anyone here have a solid opinion on that? If he's going to end up on the wing in the NHL then JB has to take a pass even if we are picking a 5 oa. Glass or Mittlestat makes more sense

2 hours ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

thoughts on Juolevi now?

would u still take Tkachuk over him?

There's Patrick and Hischier, then everybody else. I'm not sure it matters much who we'd take 3-5. Most likely what TL and JB determine during the interviews and by positional needs. I think they're probably looking for a #2C, so could be Vilardi, Mittelstadt or maybe Glass.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm a bit of a skeptic when they tell us the drafting order after the fact, but don't actually show us the order at the time the balls are dropped. It's all secret stuff for some reason. Just saying, Bettman would sure love to see his new baby get 1st overall.

It's for dramatic effect re the unveiling.  The lottery is filmed and supervised by Ernst & Young.  There are representatives of each lottery team present too.  They each get a copy of the list with the combinations allocated to each team so when the numbers are drawn they can match it to that list and verify which team won.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

What is the expectation with Valardi as a top pick? Is he a true top 2 center. I seem to recall either Button or Mackenzie saying he may be a better fit as a winger at the next level. Anyone here have a solid opinion on that? If he's going to end up on the wing in the NHL then JB has to take a pass even if we are picking a 5 oa. Glass or Mittlestat makes more sense

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There's Patrick and Hischier, then everybody else. I'm not sure it matters much who we'd take 3-5. Most likely what TL and JB determine during the interviews and by positional needs. I think they're probably looking for a #2C, so could be Vilardi, Mittelstadt or maybe Glass.

I'm getting a little tired of everyone calling Vilardi a Center 

he didn't even play centre this season when it mattered in junior 

Benning specifically said he was looking for a top line playmaking centre 

patrick

hischier

mittlestadt

glass/Suzuki/necas 

no vilardi 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I'm getting a little tired of everyone calling Vilardi a Center 

he didn't even play centre this season when it mattered in junior 

Benning specifically said he was looking for a top line playmaking centre 

patrick

hischier

mittlestadt

glass/Suzuki/necas 

no vilardi 

I think because most sites have him listed as a C. In fact, every site I've checked.