The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Just now, R3aL said:

I know via draft you take BPA but with Virtanen and Boeser - and prospects 3-5 being so close I cant see Management leaning towards Tippet I just cant. Over Vilardi, Glass, Necas and the top dmen.

Yup, they need a play-making center far more than a "possible" upgrade at wing, and there are plenty available ranked at the top-end.  Otherwise it's pretty much pure gambling (not to mention spinning one's wheels), especially in a draft without generational talent.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yup, they need a play-making center far more than a "possible" upgrade at wing, and there are plenty available ranked at the top-end.  Otherwise it's pretty much pure gambling (not to mention spinning one's wheels), especially in a draft without generational talent.

Agree!

1 hour ago, Scruffy05 said:

3 to 9 is a crap shoot. So is 15 to about 50.

This year looks like a really flat draft.

Should be the perfect draft opportunity to show us the fan base what Benning and Co have been sold as being proficient at!

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I wonder if the Canucks drop to 3,4 or 5 if they try and make a move to get the #1 or #2?  This might be a year that a team in those positions would be willing to listen and the price wouldn't be overly high.

That would be absolutely terrible IMO

Cost prohibitive.

people are under this belief that trading down will only garner a minor return, yet every single year continue to make posts where trading up costs everything we have and more.

If we're in 4-5 and have to trade up it's our first, plus a blue chip plus possibly another pick or two this or next year.

If we trade down though the return will be the same, which is why I have 0 issues trading down.  If we can garner a return of a 1st in the top 7, a blue chip prospect/defensive or center (for skilled depth) plus a pick or two this or next year I am all for it.  Hischier is really the only player I am sold on and he's still a 2 year project at least in regards to development

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Cost prohibitive.

people are under this belief that trading down will only garner a minor return, yet every single year continue to make posts where trading up costs everything we have and more.

If we're in 4-5 and have to trade up it's our first, plus a blue chip plus possibly another pick or two this or next year.

If we trade down though the return will be the same, which is why I have 0 issues trading down.  If we can garner a return of a 1st in the top 7, a blue chip prospect/defensive or center (for skilled depth) plus a pick or two this or next year I am all for it.  Hischier is really the only player I am sold on and he's still a 2 year project at least in regards to development

Hischier can play in Utica next year, that's huge and is the difference between Nylander and Virtanen at this stage in their development.  Honestly, I don't see the cost being that big, in this draft

59 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

That's the thing -- unless you believe Tippett is SIGNIFICANTLY better than our current prospects at the same position, it makes little sense to just swap him into the pool and and in effect lose a few years of development on current prospects by trading them away.  In a rebuild you do not start trading away prospects just to fill some holes or "hopefully upgrade", unless you believe they aren't developing well nor projecting as expected (see: Shinkaruk, Mallet, and Jensen).  We need to get these players developed and into the lineup, not endlessly draft replacements because the new toys look shinier.

My query was only that, not really what I want the Canucks to do, I see your point and am just looking at what other people might think in that scenario.  I know with the centres available Benning should pick one but he has gone off the board before so you never know.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Patrick

Hischier

Vilardi

Glass

Necas

I don't want anyone else in the top 5 now.

Horvat

Patrick/Hischier/Vilardi/Glass/Necas

Gaudette

Then we solid down the middle for years to come.

Cant wait for the lotto to be over so we will know if Nolan and Nico are a reality or completely off the table!

Something you don't like about Mittelstadt? He has significant international and tournament pedigree....

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Cost prohibitive.

If we got 1st overall I would definitely advertise that the pick was for sale. The draft seems so flat that that as long as we keep top 7 or even top 10 we are walking out with a very good player.

53 minutes ago, Scruffy05 said:

If we got 1st overall I would definitely advertise that the pick was for sale. The draft seems so flat that that as long as we keep top 7 or even top 10 we are walking out with a very good player.

If I was GM and picked #1 I'd trade down to number 3 if we could get a blue chip prospect out of the deal, and then pick Vilardi at number 3 overall.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Hischier can play in Utica next year, that's huge and is the difference between Nylander and Virtanen at this stage in their development.  Honestly, I don't see the cost being that big, in this draft

I do.  People continually forget that the 1st overall pick is the 1st overall pick.  We don't have the wealth to be spending on moving up a few spots if we're not 1st/2nd overall.

1 hour ago, Scruffy05 said:

I would too.  We have center/defensive needs.  Both of which can be addressed from 3-8.  We also need skilled depth in our prospect pool, which can be addressed picking up a blue chip prospect and or extra picks.

People seem so very keen on focusing on this draft alone.  Without ever considering we're destined to be drafting top 10 for 2018 and 2019 whcih could very easily net us a #1 center, top line winger, franchise D.  They keep using this draft as a becnhmark, a draft which by all accounts is very lackluster.  over the next 3 drafts, we will draft and determine the direction of this team for the next decade or more.

Moving down at all in any draft is risky, but this seems like the year to do it and benefit largely from doing it

Just now, TheHockeyNerds said:

Lol Virtanen stuggled mightily as a 20 year old in the AHL. Imagine if he was 18 or 19 playing in that league 

Hischier/Liljegren/Necas are not Virtanen, but would seriously help his game.  Virtanen is the kind of player that needs skilled linemates to produce.

Any of those 3 are eligible for the AHL immediately and 2 years of development with our upcoming prospects is only beneficial to them , the Comets and the organization as a whole.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Warhippy said:

Hischier/Liljegren/Necas are not Virtanen, but would seriously help his game.  Virtanen is the kind of player that needs skilled linemates to produce.

Any of those 3 are eligible for the AHL immediately and 2 years of development with our upcoming prospects is only beneficial to them , the Comets and the organization as a whole.

The idea of drafting a professional ready player (whether AHL or NHL) seems like a no brainer. Too many college or more time in the CHL players. 

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I do.  People continually forget that the 1st overall pick is the 1st overall pick.  We don't have the wealth to be spending on moving up a few spots if we're not 1st/2nd overall.

I'd be more interested in Hischier at #2 anyway

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

agreed.......that said, if they land #1 overall, they go Patrick, no question.  or, trade down to #2 and get Hischier and a prospect

32 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

The idea of drafting a professional ready player (whether AHL or NHL) seems like a no brainer. Too many college or more time in the CHL players. 

NCAA isn't an issue for me, prospects there seem more NHL ready  as they've been playing against guys as old as 24

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd be more interested in Hischier at #2 anyway

If he's available sure would be yup.  But, Only if we can ensure the team doesn't shoot him in to the bigs immediately.  He's a draftee that is 2 years away IMO, 2 years in the AHL would be nothing but beneficial for both Hischier but also our other prospects

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

agreed.......that said, if they land #1 overall, they go Patrick, no question.  or, trade down to #2 and get Hischier and a prospect

Trading down to 2nd and garnering extra picks/prospects.  Yes please.  This is the year I can see a trade down being in the best interests of a top 2 drafting team