The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

A player you build around displays leader type qualities.   Yes Viliardi and Glass are two players that show strong leadership.  You're confusing that with a franchise player.

Tippet is a strong complimentary piece,  like Gaborik, like Kessel, like skinner, like Eberle like vbrata.  All important pieces and can put up points, but not someone you can expect to carry your team. 

IMO, we have enough guys on our current lineup and in our system who display leadership qualities (Bo, Gudbranson, Gaunce, Juolevi, Cassels, to a lesser extent Stecher, Gaudette, and Boeser). The team really lacks guys with pure offensive instinct or pure offensive mentality. Currently, we have Subban, Boeser, and maybe Goldobin (although I see him more of a playmaker), who can be an offensive catalyst. 

I would also argue Gaborik has carried Minnesota for most part of his tenure there. Same with Kessel, with Toronto, and Eberle in Edmonton, during his first few season (some Oilers fan thought, he would be their future captain).

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Worst trade ever, Shiznak. Giving up way too much. 

One defensemen, who doesn't bring much to the table, besides being great in his own end. A player who, may or may not be, NHL ready in 2-3 years and two picks who have little chance of even making into the league. For two NHL ready prospects.

I'll take this deal, anyday of the week, on a rebuilding club.

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

One defensemen, who doesn't bring much to the table, besides being great in his own end. A player who, may or may not be, NHL ready in 2-3 years and two picks who have little chance of even making into the league. For two NHL ready prospects.

I'll take this deal, anyday of the week, on a rebuilding club.

Tanev traded on his own is likely to fetch us a B+/A- prospect from around the league (Kapanen e.g) no point trading him away just to move up a few spots where we can probably get just as good of a player at 5. There is no generational talent that we need to sell the farm for. Our picks are too valuable at this point. You wanna strike a home run if you were to form a deal such as yours. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, shiznak said:

IMO, we have enough guys on our current lineup and in our system who display leadership qualities (Bo, Gudbranson, Gaunce, Juolevi, Cassels, to a lesser extent Stecher, Gaudette, and Boeser). The team really lacks guys with pure offensive instinct or pure offensive mentality. Currently, we have Subban, Boeser, and maybe Goldobin (although I see him more of a playmaker), who can be an offensive catalyst. 

Bo and guddy for sure, but we have a north south scorer in Jake, we have a offensive skilled playmaker in Goldy and Sven, we have skilled scorers in Boeser and Dahlen, what this team is missing is a Getzlaf, Kopitar, Johansen, Barkov type

5 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I would also argue Gaborik has carried Minnesota for most part of his tenure there. Same with Kessel, with Toronto, and Eberle in Edmonton, during his first few season (some Oilers fan thought, he would be their future captain).

Yes they did and that was a big part of the reason those teams never had any sort of success.  Every one of those teams fans will tell you they are/were not leaders and should only be complementary players.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Tanev traded on his own is likely to fetch us a B+/A- prospect from around the league (Kapanen e.g) no point trading him away just to move up a few spots where we can probably get just as good of a player at 5. There is no generational talent that we need to sell the farm for. Our picks are too valuable at this point. You wanna strike a home run if you were to form a deal such as yours. 

Travis Sanheim is at worst a "B+" prospects. He their second best prospect on defense, behind Provorov. 

You also have to factor in, by the time the 5th overall pick, whomever may it be, won't enter into the league in 3 years time, at the earliest. While by that time, Tanev will be entering his twilight years as a player.

So essentially its Tanev for 2-3 "prime" years for Patrick and Sanheim.

Edited by shiznak

34 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Bo and guddy for sure, but we have a north south scorer in Jake, we have a offensive skilled playmaker in Goldy and Sven, we have skilled scorers in Boeser and Dahlen, what this team is missing is a Getzlaf, Kopitar, Johansen, Barkov type

Yes they did and that was a big part of the reason those teams never had any sort of success.  Every one of those teams fans will tell you they are/were not leaders and should only be complementary players.  

Jake and Tippett play nothing alike, though.  Jake is a fitness power forward, who utilize his strength to score goals. He had a decent shot, but nothing alike Tippett, who has the best shot in his draft class. Tippett is more of a skilled/crafty power forward, who can beat you with his shot, his body, or just being in the right spot. Someone like a Rick Nash or Bobby Ryan, both who went 1 and 2, respectability. 

Horvat is our Getzlaf, Kopitar, etc. Every team in the league only has one of those, in their lineup and those guys are surrounded by great complementary players. What this team is missing is a skilled power forward, even if it means he's a complementary player. For every Toews or Getzlaf, you need a Hossa or Perry. 

Gaborik had great success in Minnesota, and was one of the main reason (with Wes Waltz) why they beat us in 2003. Kessel and Eberle has no supporting cast in goal and on defense and that's why they never had any success.

Edited by shiznak

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Jake and Tippett play nothing alike, though.  Jake is a fitness power forward, who utilize his strength to score goals. He had a decent shot, but nothing alike Tippett, who has the best shot in his draft class. Tippett is more of a skilled/crafty power forward, who can beat you with his shot, his body, or just being in the right spot. Someone like a Rick Nash or Bobby Ryan, both who went 1 and 2, respectability. 

Horvat is our Getzlaf, Kopitar, etc. Every team in the league only has one of those, in their lineup and those guys are surrounded by great complementary players. What this team is missing is a skilled power forward, even if it means he's a complementary player. For every Toews or Getzlaf, you need a Hossa or Perry. 

Gaborik had great success in Minnesota, and was one of the main reason (with Wes Waltz) why they beat us in 2003. Kessel and Eberle has no supporting cast in goal and on defense and that's why they never had any success.

Klim Kostin begs to differ. 

28 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Jake considered the best shot in his draft year? 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

how about for that 2nd pick if available:  Nikita Popagayev, Isaac Ratcliffe or Grant Mismash?  all are LW and big with some skill, we are good with our RW, presumably C if we go that route with that 1st pick, but some big LW would be nice to pick in this draft as well

If we get the 2nd round pick from Columbus this year, I would look into combining that with our 2nd round pick to trade up into the last 1/3 of the first round, hopefully closer to pick 20. Could get a guy like Foote or Vesalainen or a smaller high skilled player like Suzuki or Brannstrom there. 

I'm actually pretty high on Brannstrom. He's a smaller defenseman at 5'10" and 179 lbs but he's a very late birthday for this draft. If he was born two weeks later he would be in the 2018 draft. Brannstrom is a smooth skating puck-moving defenseman who can quarterback the powerplay and unload one-timers from the point. He was running the powerplay alongside Liljegren on the U18s. He's playing against men in the SHL as a 17 year old and by some accounts is very strong and can hold his own despite his smaller frame. Some people say if he was an inch or two taller he'd be a top-5 pick this year, and with him having a late birthday he might be able to grow an inch or two taller and add on 15-20 pounds by the time he makes the jump to the NHL. Because of his size he's rated all over the place... Corey Pronman from ESPN has him as the 11th best prospect. Jeff Marek from Sportsnet has him at 14. On the other side of the scale, ISS has him unranked (i.e. not in their top 31) and Craig Button has him at 45. 

Brannstrom might be like Stecher with much higher offensive upside. Solid puck moving top-4 defenseman who can quarterback the first-unit powerplay is good value for a late first round selection.

Edited by Blömqvist
  • Upvote 1

2019/20

Dahlen - Patrick - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Goldobin

Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson

Zalewski - Gaudette - Virtanen

McEwen/Molino

I like this. We need Patrick. If not, can always replace with Mittelstadt or Vilardi. Not as good mind you.

36 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Jake considered the best shot in his draft year? 

Maybe decent was the wrong choice of words. He had one of the best amongst his peers, but it wasn'tthe best as terms of hardness and accuracy, as I ranked Dal Colle, Perlini, Fabbri, Ehlers, and even Bennett, above his.

28 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

5924f3450a2cf_ScreenShot2017-05-23at7_42_44PM.png.79aa7200b8f3d0476bd446debd1bf2ff.png

thats a 5/5 for jakes shot right there

It also says his compete level is 4/5, but we all know that isn't true.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, TheSnipeshow91 said:

Really hope we can get Vilardi. The only real knock on him is his skating, or else I think he would be in the same conversation as Patrick and HIschier.

I want Vilardi as well. he seems like he's got the character of Horvat to improve his skating. if he's there at number five. I wouldn't hesitate to select him. but if he's not there. Glass isn't a bad option either. not sure though if either of those guys are first line centres. someone comment on that. 

To Dallas:

Tanev

2nd Rd Pick (Columbus)

To Van:

3 OA

Nichushkin's Rights

Lehtonen

Explanation:

- Mckenzie stated he wasn't even sure Dallas would get a top 4 D or top 6 F at all for 3 OA

- We do them a favor by taking the Lehtonen contract

- Dallas (who wants to win now) will not lose a roster player (besides Lehtonen) in this deal and they will clear cap

- Dallas will get an effective, cheap top 3 D (rather than overpaying someone like Alzner in free agency)

- Dallas still has a second first round pick to fall back on and they receive a pick to offset the one they lose in this trade

Edited by Southpop45

I think JB has to throw a big offer at PHI to get the #2 and draft Patrick. A very skilled 6'3" 200 lb C who plays with grit. If that doesn't pan out, then draft Vilardi if possible. He's the same stature and could be the C we have been looking for. I'm not concerned with his skating, as that can always be improved. He has the right attitude and that's key.

I'm not sure drafting another D with the 1st pick will go over well with the fans. I remember last year I was surprised, caught off guard with that pick. I think everyone was. The Canucks need a #1-2C and scoring. Drafting a D 1st doesn't address that problem. Unless, JB somehow makes a trade to bring in a C, like Duchene or Couturier, as examples.  

Edited by NUCKER67

13 hours ago, TheSnipeshow91 said:

Really hope we can get Vilardi. The only real knock on him is his skating, or else I think he would be in the same conversation as Patrick and HIschier.

I agree. If this video doesn't convince you that he's a #1 center one day, I don't know what's wrong with you

this was his highlights from last season and he's just so good offensively. Good playmaker, solid IQ, shot, pass, board play is off the charts, plays physical, good in all 3 zones. He knows where to be on the ice and gets in the right position at the right time. He's a hard nosed players and likes to get into the dirty areas in the ice. He's also very good in his own end and usually stays with his check. This video alone along with his performances in the Knights series was enough to sold me into him. He's going to be a special player in the NHL and if he falls, I don't think twice and I select him

• Upvote 1