The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

4 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Have you even bothered to look at Dallas depth on the right side? its one of the most terrible in the league. Hence why they were 9th in foals against,Klingburg is A stud Wh o took A step back last year due to the partner eh Maybe A deal involving Edler and tTanev plus us taking back their goalies . who they cant afford to buy out both as they are right against the cap. As I've said before tho Philly makes way more sense since they only have one RHD and he is overpaid and sucks and would probably be part of any deal to acquire the 2nd Cheers

Dallas is up against the cap? i haven't looked it up but guys on their boards say the have lots of space.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn't HItch now the Dallas coach?  Doesn't that mean they are all in next season?  Considering his desire to play a defensive style, wouldn't they much prefer Tanev over the options you suggested?

LHD, RHD......Dallas needs one area to be filled and the other area, Tanev falls under.  Just because they have hitch it doesn't take away from the fact that there hole is on the LEFT side. 

20 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Have you even bothered to look at Dallas depth on the right side? its one of the most terrible in the league. Hence why they were 9th in foals against,Klingburg is A stud Wh o took A step back last year due to the partner eh Maybe A deal involving Edler and tTanev plus us taking back their goalies . who they cant afford to buy out both as they are right against the cap. As I've said before tho Philly makes way more sense since they only have one RHD and he is overpaid and sucks and would probably be part of any deal to acquire the 2nd Cheers

Have you? They'd be 'fine' with Kling, Honka, Johns on their right. That said, they could be even better with Kling, Tanev, Honka, heck, they could use both Edler AND Tanev if they really wanted to load up but I doubt that would happen.

16 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That only makes sense if you are getting back a low value player, like a Garrison type,  Fowler would cost more than we would be getting back for moving Tanev/Edler. 

Why wouldn't ducks just move fowler to DAL for the 3rd overall,  Fills there need much better than what we can offer

You lost me on the low value player/Fowler would cost more. 

Because Hutton helps them far more now and retains their D depth.

Edited by J.R.

15 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Hence why they were 9th in foals against,Klingburg is A stud Wh o took A step back last year due to the partner eh Maybe A deal involving Edler and tTanev plus us taking back their goalies .

Last year was the first year thier two young stud D got any really NHL action.  Honka will be there top 4 RHD and Lindell is there upcoming shutdown D.  What that team needs is a top pairing LHD to play along side of Klingberg. 

LHD Klingberg

Hamhuis Honka

Lindell Johns/oleksiak,

A young top pairing LHD would do wonders for them, and i'm sure that's what they are looking for if they move the 3rd overall, or they just draft Hieskanen and throw money (which they have) at alzner.

who they cant afford to buy out both as they are right against the cap.

Actually they aren't really against the cap. even with those two goalies under contract they have 16 million in cap space. 

As I've said before tho Philly makes way more sense since they only have one RHD and he is overpaid and sucks and would probably be part of any deal to acquire the 2nd Cheers

Philly would be interesting, they do have a need for a RHD

• Upvote 1

DAL has to pay Benn almost $10M a season starting this coming season. Spezza also makes over $7M a season. Those are expensive contracts. Can they afford Tanev? It really sounds like JB really wants to re-sign Miller, so why would the Canucks take on an additional goalie? 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

DAL has to pay Benn almost $10M a season starting this coming season. Spezza also makes over $7M a season. Those are expensive contracts. Can they afford Tanev? It really sounds like JB really wants to re-sign Miller, so why would the Canucks take on an additional goalie? 

If we take their $6m goalie off their hands, a top 4 D at just over $4m who's one of the best in the league at limiting opposition chances is a pretty good trade IMO.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You lost me on the low value player/Fowler would cost more. 

Because Hutton helps them far more now and retains their D depth.

Hutton is 24 years old, he hopes to become what 25 year old Fowler already is.

I don't know how you think Hutton is better for the stars than fowler?

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Hutton is 24 years old, he hopes to become what 25 year old Fowler already is.

I don't know how you think Hutton is better for the stars than fowler?

Hutton would be going to ANA for Fowler.

Edler to Stars or Tanev to ARZ.

Just now, J.R. said:

If we take their $6m goalie off their hands, a top 4 D at just over $4m who's one of the best in the league at limiting opposition chances is a pretty good trade IMO.

But then the Canucks would have 3 goalies, paying them around $16M, and they're already pretty thin at RHD. All this just to get the #3? Unless Patrick falls to #3 I don't think it's a good idea.  If he's targeting Heiskanen, why? He's a LHD. If he's targeting Vilardi, again why? He or Heiskanen may be available at #5. Why are we doing DAL any favours? I hope if something happens with DAL, JB makes them pay.

Just now, J.R. said:

Hutton would be going to ANA for Fowler.

Edler to Stars or Tanev to ARZ.

Oh i see what your saying. 

But ducks don't need a player like Hutton....Mason, Montour, Theodore, Vatanen, Lindolm  and all are under 25. 

Ducks would be just as interested in that 3rd overall pick and they have the cap to take on a goalie too. 

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

But then the Canucks would have 3 goalies, paying them around $16M, and they're already pretty thin at RHD. All this just to get the #3? Unless Patrick falls to #3 I don't think it's a good idea.  If he's targeting Heiskanen, why? He's a LHD. If he's targeting Vilardi, again why? He or Heiskanen may be available at #5. Why are we doing DAL any favours? I hope if something happens with DAL, JB makes them pay.

Not if we don't sign Miller we wouldn't....

I tend to agree that picking up the 3 pick is likely too costly for the likely benefit and IMO we should only be doing Edler plus taking back one of their goalies or Tanev straight up. I'd rather see us target the ARZ, BUF or TBL picks personally.

I don't have Heisk or Vilardi at 3 FWIW. But Heisk has played right side FWIW.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Oh i see what your saying. 

But ducks don't need a player like Hutton....Mason, Montour, Theodore, Vatanen, Lindolm  and all are under 25. 

Ducks would be just as interested in that 3rd overall pick and they have the cap to take on a goalie too. 

Very well may be true. Just pondering on the possibility they might want to retain their vaunted D depth. It would also still likely allow them to move a D after the ED when their value will be higher.

41 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

LHD, RHD......Dallas needs one area to be filled and the other area, Tanev falls under.  Just because they have hitch it doesn't take away from the fact that there hole is on the LEFT side. 

I understand that, but with Hitch there, clearly they are all in now.  Plus, Hitch will want to improve their struggling defensive play.  Tanev is better than any player they currently have at playing D.  Maybe they could trade one of their RHD for a pick or something?  

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't think we have the assets for the 3rd overall without a swap of picks, I'd do the Edler for the ANA pick. 

or i'd even be up for

Rodin (rights) for Niemi + 49th overall

Dallas has no reason to trade an asset to get rid of Niemi.  His buyout is $1.25 Million for 2 years.  Dallas has a ton of cap space.  A team taking Niemi off of their hands provides Dallas very little value.

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Dallas has no reason to trade an asset to get rid of Niemi.  His buyout is $1.25 Million for 2 years.  Dallas has a ton of cap space.  A team taking Niemi off of their hands provides Dallas very little value.

They also have an internal cap and would likely far prefer to put those funds towards an actual player, you know, actually playing for them, while their window is open.

Will they buy Niemi out if it comes down to it? Sure. Would they prefer a trade to get rid of him instead? Yup.

Edited by J.R.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

They also have an internal cap and would likely far prefer to put those funds towards an actual player, you know, playing for them while their window is open.

Will they buy Niemi out if it comes down to it? Sure. Would they prefer a trade to get rid of him instead? Yup.

Of course they would prefer to trade him.  I don't see them dropping from 3 to 5 in the draft, or giving up their 2nd round pick to do so.  Those are the types of deals being proposed, and there is no way Dallas gives up those assets to save a total of $2.5 mil.

I'm not sure Pettersson will be taken in the top 10, unless JB drafts him high. Could be interesting pairing him with Dahlen, apparently they're best friends on the Timra team. He'll really need to bulk up though.

21 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Have to think that is where they are leaning hard to if all goes according to plan in the draft order come draft day.

I'd assume there going to bring Mittlestadt and Vilardi aswell. Last year CBJ brought Keller and  Brown down there and buffalo brought Chychrun. Bascially amounts to  team doing more due dillifence.