The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 hour ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

With the draft in just a couple of days here's my final rankings, what do you guys think?

1. Nolan Patrick 

2. Nico Hischier 

3. Gabe Vilardi 

4. Cody Glass

5. Elias Pettersson 

6. Casey Mittlestadt 

7. Miro Heiskanen 

8. Martin Necas 

9. Timothy Liljegren 

10. Cale Makar

Heiskanen or Makar go in the top 5. 

Now that we know Vegas is going to end up with several 1st round picks, it might be a good idea to see if we can trade down with them. 5OA for two 1st round picks (10-25). They already have the 6th pick, so 5OA would give them 2 top prospects, just like we have been clamouring for. As much as we all want that, maybe it's a smarter move to try and trade down, and trust Benning's scouting to snag two players instead of one; and we get to keep Tanev for this season, and possibly do a trade at the TDL for picks in next years draft. Then maybe we can trade up for Dahlin if need be. My 2 cents

Edited by Memories of Slegr
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, winthecup said:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

New%20Jersey.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/172 lbs
Position:C/RW
Team: Halifax (QMJHL)

Philadelphia.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/200 lbs
Position:C
Team: Brandon (WHL)

Dallas-13-pres.gif
Ht/Wt:5'11"/174 lbs
Position:LHD
Team: HIFK U20 (Fin Jr.)

Colorado.gif
Ht/Wt:5'10"/176 lbs
Position:RHD
Team: Brooks (AJHL)

Vancouver08.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/180 lbs
Team: Portland (WHL)

Las-Vegas-2017.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/201 lbs
Team: Eden Prairie HS (MN)

Arizona.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/201 lbs
Team: Windsor (OHL)

Buffalo-10-pres.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/200 lbs
Position:RW
Team: Mississauga (OHL)

Detroit.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/160 lbs
Team: Timra IK (SWE)

Florida-2016-17.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/167 lbs
Team: Brno (CZE)

Los-Angeles-11-pres.gif
Ht/Wt:5'10"/185 lbs
Team: Owen Sound (OHL)
Ht/Wt:6' 5"/205 lbs
Team: Tri City (WHL)

Winnipeg-11-pres.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/200 lbs
Team: Tri City (WHL)

Tampa-11-pres.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/190 lbs
Team: Rogle Jr20 (SWE)

NY%20Islanders.gif
Ht/Wt:5'10"/175 lbs
Position:LW/RW
Team: Sioux City (USHL)

Calgary.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/198 lbs
Team: Kelowna (WHL)

Toronto-2016-17.gif
Ht/Wt:5'10"/172 lbs
Team: HV71 (SWE)

Boston08.gif
Ht/Wt:5'11"/195 lbs
Position:C/LW
Team: HV71 (SWE)

San%20Jose08.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/205 lbs
Position:LW
Team: Frolunda (SWE)

St.%20Louis.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/185 lbs
Team: Dynamo (VHL)

NY%20Rangers.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/185 lbs
Team: Blues (FIN)

Edmonton-12-pres.gif
Ht/Wt:5' 9"/160 lbs
Position:LW/RW
Team: Spokane (WHL)

Best mock draft on the net.

2 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Who gives a **** about revolt from the fan base?   I trust the guys who spend all year scouting these players to make the right choice on who to draft.  Not the keyboard jockeys who only know these players by YouTube highlight clips. 

Pettersson is a HELL of a damn good hockey player and we would be lucky to draft the kid. 

Mrs. Benning is that you? I like Petterson don't get me wrong, his numbers are good. I just see Vilardi and Glass becoming better players. When I watched them they passed the eye test with me. What do I know though, I'm just an arm chair GM.  I really hope JB makes the right choice. He better, his contract is up soon... 

Edited by messier's_elbow

2 hours ago, Monteeun said:

To be fair, Oilers can't really be used as comparables. They are in a league of their own. :bigblush:

I think that Petersoon looks like a bigger project then Glass and Vilardi.  He night turn out to be better but could be a bust. He is very slight.

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Completely untrue.  Offense is played at one end of the ice.  Defence is played at the other end. 

Be creative and generate offense in the attacking zone.

Know who to cover when you backcheck and defend against the other team cycling in the defensive zone.

You don't play defense in the offensive zone... you play offense.

We'll agree to disagree, they are in direct relationship to each other.

32 minutes ago, Memories of Slegr said:

Now that we know Vegas is going to end up with several 1st round picks, it might be a good idea to see if we can trade down with them. 5OA for two 1st round picks (10-25). They already have the 6th pick, so 5OA would give them 2 top prospects, just like we have been clamouring for. As much as we all want that, maybe it's a smarter move to try and trade down, and trust Benning's scouting to snag two players instead of one; and we get to keep Tanev for this season, and possibly do a trade at the TDL for picks in next years draft. Then maybe we can trade up for Dahlin if need be. My 2 cents

this team needs top 5 talent and 10-15 in addition to, not instead of

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are you predicting where the guys get drafted, or where YOU THINK they should get drafted?

i think Heiskanen and Makar will go higher, and Liljegren and Necas will fall out of the top ten.  

Good list though.

Thanks! Definitely where I think they should get drafted! Not the highest on MH or Makar but expect them to go top 5 

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Speed and skill = Pettersson, Mittelstadt and Necas

A responsible 200-foot game, size and playmaker = Vilardi and Glass

Not sure who I want yet, but I know I don't want to draft another Gaunce, just because he's a big guy who plays C. I want highlight reel goals, lots of them. I want a shootout sniper. I want speed breaking out of our zone rushing up the ice, creating excitement.  

I would like to see Mittlesteadt put up 90+ points in the WHL in his draft year.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

this team needs top 5 talent and 10-15 in addition to, not instead of

You find players where you find them. The only thing top 5 does is give you betters odds at a 'hit'. There are lots of great prospects throughout the first round. Rather than blow all our assets trading up in this draft, save it for next year's when there are more elite prospects available. I'm with you. We need top 5 talent. But that top 5 talent looks a lot better next year, and this year's first round has a lot of evenly rated prospects. Double up. 

17 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Cody Glass says Hi

That's what I meant.  He mentioned pure offensive guys like Midflesteadt vs 200 ft players like Glass/Vilardi.  I'm not sure how a guy like glass puts up 90 pts and isn't considered pure offense

• Upvote 4

Just now, stawns said:

That's what I meant.  He mentioned pure offensive guys like Midflesteadt vs 200 ft players like Glass/Vilardi.  I'm not sure how a guy like glass puts up 90 pts and isn't considered pure offense

I figured that's what you meant. It was almost too easy for me to answer that. 

Glass is someone who I don't know a lot about, but after watching that feature on his family I would be happy if we got him at 5th. The point steady point production (at home and on the road) is a very positive sign, but that character is invaluable. We would be a team full of leaders:

Horvat

Boeser

Glass

Juolevi

Hutton

Demko

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Glass is someone who I don't know a lot about, but after watching that feature on his family I would be happy if we got him at 5th. The point steady point production (at home and on the road) is a very positive sign, but that character is invaluable. We would be a team full of leaders:

Horvat

Boeser

Glass

Juolevi

Hutton

Demko

He has been my pick for a while.  I like Vilardi too, but there's just something about Glass that feels Yzerman-like. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

He has been my pick for a while.  I like Vilardi too, but there's just something about Glass that feels Yzerman-like. 

I haven't watched him a lot, but his production on paper is very good. He seems like a David Krejci type player. Adding that to Horvat might not match the entertainment factor of other teams, but it could prove to be pretty effective. 

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I haven't watched him a lot, but his production on paper is very good. He seems like a David Krejci type player. Adding that to Horvat might not match the entertainment factor of other teams, but it could prove to be pretty effective. 

Coming from Boston, JB would love a player like Krejci.