The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

If I was a betting man, I'd say Glass and Necas are the Canucks key C targets short of this happening:

If Vilardi is available at 5 and benning drafts Necas instead, he should run outta town with pitch forks. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ya huh, It wont likely matter anyways dont see Vilardi making it past 4. Potentially top sxiers including, Dahlin, Goldobin, Baertchi, and Necas is way too soft for the Western Conference.   

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Yeah, "soft."

Goldobin I'll give you a pass on, but just because they're not 200 lbs. + and don't throw their bodies around and fight like Milan Lucic doesn't make them soft.

Guys in our system like Boeser, Dahlen, Baertschi, Granlund, and who knows, maybe someday Necas are strong on the puck, win battles on the boards, go to the hard areas, and play an astute defensive game. That is anything but "soft." My favourite example of a guy like this is Viktor Arvidsson (who is only 5'9 for crying out loud), and that little viking was born for playoff hockey. He's the biggest reason why I'm cheering for the Preds to win it all (aside from the Sens of course). 

Out of +'s

Add in neither of Boeser or Horvat being small or wilting flowers, Virtanen likely in the middle 6 somewhere eventually and Kane being UFA just as we clear $14m in salary....

Dahlen, Glass/Necas, Boeser

Kane, Horvat, Goldobin

Granlund, Gaudette, Virtanen

Looks just fine as a potential, future top 9, 3+ years from now IMO.

1 hour ago, funkyfresh said:

Why? 

I'm always skeptical when someone shoots up the rankings because of how they do in a tournament (small sample size). Apart from that I don't think his performance in the Extraliga was that impressive -  very similar to Spacek a couple years back who I also believe was ranked around 5 for international skaters in the 2015 draft. Not many players have gone on to success in the NHL after playing their draft year in Extraliga. Hertl was one of them who has had NHL success but his numbers were much better than Necas and his highlight reel was amazing. I've seen some of Necas highlight videos (in addition to international play) and nothing has really wowed me. He also played a lot with Martin Erat who is one of the best players in the league. 

I'm sure he has a high ceiling and could very well end up being a great pick (as with a lot of guys in the top 12) but I believe there are much better prospects at 5 and less risky picks with similar upside in the top 10. 

Edited by baumerman77

2 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

I'm always skeptical when someone shoots up the rankings because of how they do in a tournament (small sample size). Apart from that I don't think his performance in the Extraliga was that impressive -  very similar to Spacek a couple years back who I also believe was ranked around 5 for international skaters in the 2015 draft. Not many players have gone on to NHL success from Extraliga in their draft year. Hertl was one of them who has had NHL success but his numbers were much better than Necas and his highlight reel was amazing. I've seen some of Necas highlight videos (in addition to international play) and nothing has really wowed me. He also played a lot with Martin Erat who is one of the best players in the league. 

I'm sure he has a high ceiling and could very well end up being a great pick (as with a lot of guys in the top 12) but I believe there are much better prospects at 5 and less risky picks with similar upside in the top 10. 

Uhhhhh...

2 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Yeah, "soft."

Goldobin I'll give you a pass on, but just because they're not 200 lbs. + and don't throw their bodies around and fight like Milan Lucic doesn't make them soft.

Guys in our system like Boeser, Dahlen, Baertschi, Granlund, and who knows, maybe someday Necas are strong on the puck, win battles on the boards, go to the hard areas, and play an astute defensive game. That is anything but "soft." My favourite example of a guy like this is Viktor Arvidsson (who is only 5'9 for crying out loud), and that little viking was born for playoff hockey. He's the biggest reason why I'm cheering for the Preds to win it all (aside from the Sens of course). 

Jake Guentzel just scored his 8th of the playoffs.

5'11 180lbs

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Yeah, "soft."

Forgot to add, I'm hoping for an OTT / NSH final. *Thumbs up*

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, baumerman77 said:

I'm always skeptical when someone shoots up the rankings because of how they do in a tournament (small sample size). Apart from that I don't think his performance in the Extraliga was that impressive -  very similar to Spacek a couple years back who I also believe was ranked around 5 for international skaters in the 2015 draft. Not many players have gone on to success in the NHL after playing their draft year in Extraliga. Hertl was one of them who has had NHL success but his numbers were much better than Necas and his highlight reel was amazing. I've seen some of Necas highlight videos (in addition to international play) and nothing has really wowed me. He also played a lot with Martin Erat who is one of the best players in the league. 

Do you like Horvat? he was a riser in his draft year.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Out of +'s

Add in neither of Boeser or Horvat being small or wilting flowers, Virtanen likely in the middle 6 somewhere eventually and Kane being UFA just as we clear $14m in salary....

Dahlen, Glass/Necas, Boeser

Kane, Horvat, Goldobin

Granlund, Gaudette, Virtanen

Looks just fine as a potential, future top 9, 3+ years from now IMO.

is Kane a free agent this off season or next?

my rankings so far:

1 hischier

2 patrick

3 mittelstadt - very skilled offensively. If he can improve his defense, could be a home run pick.

4 vilardi - i see him as a winger more than a centre. He'll have success  like tkachuk. 

5 necas-  2 way centre with great speed. If he can improve his shot accuracy, he can be a legit 1st liner in the nhl.

HM: glass, heiskanen, makar, liljegren(i believe he can have a bounce back year when 100% healthy), pettersson(could be the steal of this draft when he bulks up and if he's able to translate his skills to the nhl).

Benning cant really mess this up. I dont think he'll be drafting rasmussen with virtanen pick not working out so far.

If benning can trade tanev for a pick between #7-12, he can draft 2 of these guys.