The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Where have I heard that before....about another player who dominated a lower tier level......

He had a big year last year. He won't ever be the best player from that draft lol but he has potential still. 

16 minutes ago, cyoung said:

He had a big year last year. He won't ever be the best player from that draft lol but he has potential still. 

29 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Although I laughed at that pick years ago, Mark Jankowski has actually put up some decent numbers in the AHL. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the Flames roster for next season

He'll probably be a decent NHLer, but again not even close to the best player.  LIkely the same will be about Makar... He's probably not going to be a bust, but will he be the best D to come out of the draft...Better than the centers that will still be available at 5.  I doubt it.....

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, J.R. said:

...Glass, Necas...

(I know, not 3 but...)

He really kept emphasizing speed and skill.

necas sure if he's the top of his list and he feels he has "North American heart"

Glass I think is great - I just got that feeling from that interview that those were his top 3

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

He really kept emphasizing speed and skill.

necas sure if he's the top of his list and he feels he has "North American heart"

Glass I think is great - I just got that feeling from that interview that those were his top 3

Glass has speed, skill and heart. Ticks a lot of those boxes :lol:

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Glass has speed, skill and heart. Ticks a lot of those boxes :lol:

Not amazing speed though, his skating isn't great. That's why I'd be concerned about him putting on too much weight. People saying he will be 6'4 220lbs.....its insanity. 

1 minute ago, cyoung said:

Not amazing speed though, his skating isn't great. That's why I'd be concerned about him putting on too much weight. People saying he will be 6'4 220lbs.....its insanity. 

He's got above average skating.

It's better than Vilardi's who people keep going on about how easy it will be for him to improve. Glass has a higher starting point and same goes for him.

Also wouldn't mind Necas.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

He's got above average skating.

It's better than Vilardi's who people keep going on about how easy it will be for him to improve. Glass has a higher starting point and same goes for him.

Also wouldn't mind Necas.

Ya Vilardis skating is a bit rougher, I find his other skill set will help translate his below average skating to the NHL level. 

Picking so high makes me want to go the safe route (glass/vilardi/hesk).... Necas, Makar and Liljegren scare me for that reason but I'd be happy with whoever we get honestly. 

Just now, cyoung said:

Ya Vilardis skating is a bit rougher, I find his other skill set will help translate his below average skating to the NHL level. 

Picking so high makes me want to go the safe route (glass/vilardi/hesk).... Necas, Makar and Liljegren scare me for that reason but I'd be happy with whoever we get honestly. 

yup, not going to complain about any of Mittel, Glass, Necas, Vilardi, Liljegrin, Heiskanen or Makar. Any one of them could easily be the best player of the draft or certainly where we're picking.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Good summary of his skating:

http://thehockeywriters.com/cody-glass-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Outside of the physical elements, the skills Glass brings to the table are impressive. He has excellent vision and offensive creativity and can thread a pass to the crease, dangle the puck to attract defenders and find the open winger for the shot on goal. Glass’ skating is a bit awkward, but he has good speed and rarely gets beat. It is easy to see, with some work, Glass being one of the quicker skaters on his NHL team. He should have potted even more goals during his Sophomore season. Glass is a pass-first center but has a dangerous shot that is not uncorked as often as it could or should be. That said, his playmaking skills are excellent, so it’s a minor quibble that he likely grows out of with further seasoning in the WHL.

I imagine he'll probably fall somewhere in the 200-210lb range when mature.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I would take Mittlestadt, Glass, Necas, Makar, Liljegren, or Heiskanen over Vilardi.

I'd probably move Liljegrin ahead of/inline with Necas and Vilardi/Heiskanen ahead of Makar...but yup, ditto.

Edited by J.R.

Just now, playboi19 said:

With the 5th selection in the 2017 NHL draft the Vancouver Canucks select from the USHL Casey Mittelstadt.

Gueesing he's gone by 5th but he's prob at/near the top of the list.

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

Based off bennings comments for a skilled play making C or a PP dman with speed that can transition the puck quick.

Makes me think that this are their top 3: Mittlestadt / Liljegren / Makar

What do Glass and Vilardi classify as? I think Glass especially could be categorized as a play making C