The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Can we confirm with certainty that the 2-3 players Benning wanted at 5 are Makar, Pettersson and Glass? It seems like Vilardi was never in his top-5 (probably wasn't on many teams' top-5). 

If only he played his Glass game better he could have gotten Vegas to give him a 2nd :P

The player he wanted to use his 2nd's to trade a first for is probably Liljegren, but he went in the teens so it would have been more expensive.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/06/23/a-tough-draft-decision-avoided-tomorrows-plans-and-dodgin-kostin/

CA had an interesting piece regarding Jim's draft plans. It seems like he wanted Kostin too, but after The Betrayal of Tryamkin he didn't want to get his heart broken again.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

This! Man..

Can't believe that Jim told the media that he is leaning towards a forward at #33.

Connor Timmins at #33 is such a steal.

He was also pumpung Vilardi and Glasses tires like crazy before the draft so Ill just wait until he makes the pick.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Robertson is a poor skater based on the scouting reports I have read so far on him. Isaac Ratcliff would be a much better optin than Robertson. Jim is high on speed. Hence, I am pretty sure that Robertson is not on Jim' List at #33. I admit that he is an excellent sniper.

speed can be taught, Horvat wasn't the fastest skater when he started

5 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

Holy $&!# I can't believe they got Lind. Excellent pick. So stoked we're finally drafting speed and skill. 

Absolutely! The picks we're making in this draft will help bring our days of record breaking low scoring to an end. 

1 hour ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

speed can be taught, Horvat wasn't the fastest skater when he started

Horvat was a bit of an exception in that regard. His improvement in speed is almost unprecedented. Yes, players can improve skating technique and overall speed with practice but not massively in most cases. A lot of it seems to be an inherent ability that comes from natural athleticism and lower body build, a la McDavid and Bure. You can't teach high end speed. If speed was something that could be so easily taught Cody Hodgson would still be in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

Jesus Christ, Benning is absolutely crushing this draft. Gadjovich could beat Virtanen at his own game.

Did we just draft a future top six line with three consecutive picks??? If all three kids reach their potential I don't see why not.

So excited for GOALS again

Thanks Benning for really trying to make Vancouver score again. Appreciated.

• Upvote 4

Extremely surprised the Canucks didn't go with at least one Dman in the second round. 

That being said, I love the guys we got. Lind seems like a real Swiss army knife type of guy that can play in all sorts of positions, and Gadjovich is well...

getty_jgadjovich.jpg

And also happened to score 46 goals in 60 games.