The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

3 hours ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

This is where I am at too. I think if we get a lottery pick it has to be Patrick, Hischier, Mittelstadt. I am high on CM, I think we have a need for a dynamic puck distributor like him. I think he would mesh well with Brock as the triggerman.

It's the offensive instincts that has made me really high on him. I mean, this is not the most modest scout report out there but.. come on. He's got dynamic offensive instincts that I have a tough time not licking my chops over.

An electric offensive presence on the ice, Casey Mittelstadt brings the complete package of speed, skill, and hockey sense. He competes hard with every shift, and has the dynamic puck skills to keep up with his creativity, which is a hallmark of his game. His awareness is all-encompassing, and he never puts his teammates in positions where their time and space will be bottlenecked. Bigger players don't phase him, as he thinks the game analytically and will find chinks in the opposition's armor on the fly. As a result, Mittelstadt is often seen forcing more complicated plays that the opposition won't be able to read in time. On top of all this, he can play a north-south game, and his transition game is already at an elite level. He's a complete player with the predatory instincts necessary to succeed as a consistent and, perhaps, dominant point producer at the next level. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=300831#sthash.AxFQYDBq.dpuf

Casey Mittelstadt seemingly had no trouble making the leap from high school to United States Hockey league play. His 16-game stint to start the season had him leading the league in scoring with an 8-13-21 (goals/assists/points) line when he returned to Eden Prairie for the high school season. Mittelstadt’s decision to return to Eden Prairie set off a chain of events that persuaded second-year draft hopeful Nick Leivermann and highly-regarded 2018 eligible Jack Jensen, along with the rest of Eden Prairie’s core, to return.

Mittelstadt has stated on numerous occasions that the main reason he decided to play another season of high school hockey was to win a Minnesota state championship with his friends after Eden Prairie fell one game short in 2016.

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Upvote 1

On 3/18/2017 at 5:15 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I just see Stecher being our Barrie type D that can be the PP QB, or even hutton being our Ehrhoff.  Enough to be our PP QB so that's why I don't see it as a really team need.  Liljegren is the only player that we can say is a chance of being better than Stech and Hutton,  but the question becomes how much?  Is he a karlson or a Fowler, because if he's a Fowler, is it worth selecting a top pick on a slight improvement over what our own players will become

I understand the sentiment.

Personally, I'm as excited as all get up we have some rookie D that look exciting.

But our top scoring D, rookie or otherwise, has 21 points. There is every reason to still be looking to load talent on our blue line?

9 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I'm not sold on Lligren 

i think a lot of people put him in there top 10 just because they know and have heard about him in the past 

I don't know if I would use my top 10 pick on this guy 

Benning usually surprises most the time so I think he's gonna pick a guy like glass and it ends up working out for us 

Liligren scares me. I have never seen him play and don't know him but his numbers scare me, though his tournament numbers admittedly look good. Based on the information available to me I don't get it as a pick that high, but I am no scout.

9 hours ago, monkey2 said:

Eemeli Rasanen with our 3rd rounder, could be a great pick. Guy is a Finnish RHD, 6´7´´ and 210lb. He Is putting up points in the OHL. Wears #77 and has a wicked hard shot. I can imagine our D lines now:

Tryamkin - Liljegren

Juolevi - Rasanen

Brisebois - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson?

I like it. Kid looks lanky and uncoordinated right now but has good smarts. As he gets stronger and faster he should continue to develop. Plus I hear he Is tough and plays the body. Could be a good shut down Dman who can complement Juolevi with a hard shot and physicality.

Jeez, he's putting up some very good points.

Eemeli Rasanen
Defense
Born Mar 6 1999  -- Joensuu, Finland 
Height 6.06 -- Weight 205 -- Shoots R

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016-17  Kingston Frontenacs         OHL    66    6   33   39   41
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's also right handed..

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jam126 said:

Oh god, could you imagine Tryamkin, Gudbranson and this kid on the same team? Bruisin' D.

That's the type of D core i have always dreamt of. Skilled, fast, tough, and hard hitting. Intimidating in their prime of 5 years time.

Edited by monkey2

2 minutes ago, KKnight said:

As long as dont take Rasmussen, Tippet im pretty much good. Not that excited about this years draft. 

Rasmussen also had a wrist injury earlier this month and is out for 3-4 months. And Tippett's too one-dimensional and not exactly a need considering we have Boeser and Virtanen.

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I understand the sentiment.

Personally, I'm as excited as all get up we have some rookie D that look exciting.

But our top scoring D, rookie or otherwise, has 21 points. There is every reason to still be looking to load talent on our blue line?

Using the first year point total isn't that best idea.

Burn up 16 points in his first full season, and only 25 the year following.

Head man need 3 years to finally crack the 26 points.

Keith's first year he only put up 21 points in 82 games.

Even Karlsson is only slightly out producing Stechers rookie season

I'm not saying we are golden on the point, by all means take a D this year but I wouldn't be using our best pick in the last 20 years on a player that could very likely hit a similar ceiling to two players already in our system.   Unless we are sure Liljegren will amount to more (I wouldn't take Makar in the top 8), i'd be taking Hischier, Patrick, Vilardi, Mittelstadt long before I take a D.  I'd say a point producing center is more important team need, than a D right now. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, KKnight said:

As long as dont take Rasmussen, Tippet im pretty much good. Not that excited about this years draft. 

Honestly, I think the fact that Rasmussen is from here would count as a negative for a'la rumours surrounding Jake Virtanen off the ice. Young kid with all that money hanging around his childhood clique and all those distractions? Not saying it definitively IS a bad thing but I would prefer a situation where he is in a new city to him and his only support network is the team and veterans on the team.

I wonder, has anybody crunched the numbers on the performance of young kids playing for hometown teams. It doesn't have to be friends and family, it could be enhanced pressure from the fans as well... just a curious thought.

Rasmussen strikes me as a fairly safe pick as players that size can almost certainly carve out a role in the bottom 6 if all fails to go as planned, but we need a dynamic offensive playmaking center and he doesn't appear to fit that mold.

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'm not saying we are golden on the point, by all means take a D this year but I wouldn't be using our best pick in the last 20 years on a player that could very likely hit a similar ceiling to two players already in our system.   Unless we are sure Liljegren will amount to more (I wouldn't take Makar in the top 8), i'd be taking Hischier, Patrick, Vilardi, Mittelstadt long before I take a D.  I'd say a point producing center is more important team need, than a D right now. 

Look, last year we started the season with Bartkowski, a UFA signing at 26 with zero career goals. And Weber. Clearly we had no options whatsoever to bring up young D. Or we would have? And it had been 10 years since we invested a first in a D man. 15 I think if you subtract that Bourdon tragically died in a motorcycle accident. You can only ignore categories so long before it bites you in the bum.  

This year our forward group smacks of such desperation.  See Megna, Jason, Jack Skille, Cahput et al. And our D is further ahead having brought in Guddy, Tryamkin, Juolevi, Brisbois & Stecher.  

So I am on board with drafting a forward. But even if you assume Stecher becomes a Duncan Keith because they had similar rookie numbers? 21 points is still a poor number to lead the team. And he would need more production around him even if he scored 50. I won't be disappointed if we pick a D. BPA now that we are not starved in any one position...

But also to make a point. Hutton had over 20 points last year as a rookie.  Its not an automatic that he or Stecher will become an all star either... 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Look, last year we started the season with Bartkowski, a UFA signing at 26 with zero career goals. And Weber. Clearly we had no options whatsoever to bring up young D. Or we would have? And it had been 10 years since we invested a first in a D man. 15 I think if you subtract that Bourdon tragically died in a motorcycle accident. You can only ignore categories so long before it bites you in the bum.  

This year our forward group smacks of such desperation.  See Megna, Jason, Jack Skille, Cahput et al. And our D is further ahead having brought in Guddy, Tryamkin, Juolevi, Brisbois & Stecher.  

So I am on board with drafting a forward. But even if you assume Stecher becomes a Duncan Keith because they had similar rookie numbers? 21 points is still a poor number to lead the team. And he would need more production around him even if he scored 50. I won't be disappointed if we pick a D. BPA now that we are not starved in any one position...

But also to make a point. Hutton had over 20 points last year as a rookie.  Its not an automatic that he or Stecher will become an all star either... 

I'm not stating stecher will become keith, i'm just stating the using the first year of a players career isn't the best use of judging them for the future.  Right now Liljegren is the only option that has a high chance of becoming more than Hutton and Stecher.  All other D are risks, there is no Doughty, Hedman's or Ekblad in this draft.  They are all hit and miss players,  some might exceed exceptions, some will become bust.  But when it comes to canucks picking the highest they've picked since the twins, i'd hope that we make sure the player we get will become an impact player, a player that this team has a need for like an offensive producing center. If were picking in the top 6 BPA is not a defensemen.

After that top pick, have at it drafting high hit or miss players, we have 2 second round picks and a conditional 4th round pick that's 6 picks in the first 4 rounds.  Plenty of opportunity to still take some D.  Brannstrom, Timmins, jokiharju are slotted to be right around our second pick. 

50 minutes ago, Scruffy05 said:

Honestly, I think the fact that Rasmussen is from here would count as a negative for a'la rumours surrounding Jake Virtanen off the ice. Young kid with all that money hanging around his childhood clique and all those distractions? Not saying it definitively IS a bad thing but I would prefer a situation where he is in a new city to him and his only support network is the team and veterans on the team.

I wonder, has anybody crunched the numbers on the performance of young kids playing for hometown teams. It doesn't have to be friends and family, it could be enhanced pressure from the fans as well... just a curious thought.

Rasmussen strikes me as a fairly safe pick as players that size can almost certainly carve out a role in the bottom 6 if all fails to go as planned, but we need a dynamic offensive playmaking center and he doesn't appear to fit that mold.

I agree Rasmussen could be potentially effective as a bottom 6 player. But, i want the biggest reward, not the safest pick with this draft. We want skill, not grinders. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Stecher is also 22 years old not 18 or 19.

Brent Burns when he was 22 - 43 points

Hedman- 55 pts

Keith- 21 (pretty similar)

In Karlssons 22 aged season he played only 17 games but the year before as a 21 year old he had 78 points in 82 games.

13 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

Stecher is also 22 years old not 18 or 19.

Brent Burns when he was 22 - 43 points

Hedman- 55 pts

Keith- 21 (pretty similar)

In Karlssons 22 aged season he played only 17 games but the year before as a 21 year old he had 78 points in 82 games.

Giordano at 22. 1 point

Ehrhoff at 22 AHL

Josi at 22, 18 points

The point wasn't about age, the point was about first NHL season.  Player confidence will only grow as they feel more accustomed in the league.  Can you look at Stechers 21 points in 61 games this year and determine where his career will top out?

• Upvote 1

If we somehow luckily land 2nd spot in the draft lottery, you think Benning would take Hischier?  I think the obvious answer is yes as he is the BPA and the position we are looking at, but with Benning you never know right?  I would be ecstatic with Hischier but I trust Bennings decision.  What you guys & gals think?

1 minute ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

If we somehow luckily land 2nd spot in the draft lottery, you think Benning would take Hischier?  I think the obvious answer is yes as he is the BPA and the position we are looking at, but with Benning you never know right?  I would be ecstatic with Hischier but I trust Bennings decision.  What you guys & gals think?

What if the team with pick one takes Hischier?  I could see JB trading down in this draft.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What if the team with pick one takes Hischier?  I could see JB trading down in this draft.

But trading down for whom?  Middlestadt or Vilardi maybe, both are solid big players that could fit in on the West Coast.  Or does he trade down for Pettersson and hope that he keeps that chemistry that he and Dahlen have already?  Rasmussen the next Jumbo Joe?  So many options

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Depends what other teams are offering, but if we get 1st or 2nd then we will likely take Patrick or Hischier. If we are top 7 but not top 2 then, from what I see, my list would be:
Top Tier:
Patrick

Hischier

Next Tier (in no particular order)
Vilardi
Mittelstadt

Glass

Liljegren (though I personally don't like the idea, far smarter men on this tell me otherwise)
Makar

As long as more than one of those were still available and somebody was willing to trade I would just continue trading down until my decision is made for me and I get whichever is left. I feel that second tier all have about the same chance to become different but equally good players in their own right, really just a toss up unless my pro scouts tell me otherwise.