The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

5 minutes ago, B53 said:

Necas is not our man.. He is more of the style of a reliable two way forward who is a guarenteed 3rd line centre, but likely 2nd line centre. 99% of the people on here have not seen Necas play. They pretty much havent seen many of the guys play. They just scouting reports and stats on certain guys, and say "thats who we should pick". My favorite is people that say we shoud pick Cale Makar. How that F do you guys know anything about how he plays, other the word of mouth.

For our pick this year, enough of the middle 6 Virtanen's and 2nd pair Juolevi's. Time to take a risk and take potential 1st line forwards, regardless of size. If we had just took Nylander/Ehlers/Connor, or Tkachuk/Keller, we would be good to go. I admit I havent seen THAT many forwards play outside of maybe like 12-15 or so, like Nico Hischier, Nikita Papugaev, Eeli Tolvanen, Gabe Vilardi, Robert Thomas, Michael Rasmussen, Maxime Comtois, Matthew Strome, Kole Lind, Mackenzie Entwistle, and my personal favor Klim Kostin. Half of them I have only seen once at the top prospects game, and others a few CHL games on Sportsnet.

Klim Kostin I watched closely in the Russia series, and he is one of the prospects I am most excited about. Injury sucks though. Hopefully he drops to 2nd round like Tyler Benson did. He reminds me of Yegor Korshkov how he dominated everyone last year, looking like a man vs boys. Not this excited since David Pastrnak a few years ago (soooo choked when we took McCann), or to a lesser extent, Charlie McAvoy/Adam Fox last year. There are certain guys like Pastrnak that stand out so much that the eye test tells you this guy is a stud. Kinda like Kopitar versus his teammates when he plays for Slovenia. Scouts and GM's often over scout, and start knit picking things they dont like, and dont use the simple eye test which tells you: Stud. For example, a year and a half ago, watching the world juniors, you would watch Finland and say how is Pulijaarvi ahead of this Patrik Laine guy. 

Owen Tippett is the best goalscorer, but apparently doesnt bring much else to the table. Eeli Tolvanen I remember a year and a half ago was an absolute stud and looked like a top 5 pick. This year he looked "OK", but there is so much talent there. If we happen to drop to 7 or so, he is an option for sure. Casey Mittlestadt I have not seen play, or heard much about since he has had injury problems, but every year you have that top american player from USHL or Mens U20 team, and they always seem to turn out great. Jim Benning doesnt seem to get any playmakers, only guys who "have a good release on their shot". Putting Sutter, Boucher, and Goldobin on a line together makes no sense to me. Gabe Vilardi is a guy who in my opinion, would make more sense to take then Owen Tippett. Ovechkin is not as good without Backstrom right?

*IF we were to magically get San Jose's 1st round pick, one guy who is a mid to late 1st round pick that I'd love to get is Elias Petterson. He is going to go higher in the draft then expected if he keeps putting up the numbers he has been against men playing at 150 lbs. He plays with Jonathan Dahlen and together they lead their mens team with almost equal points in the season, and now are 3rd in the league in playoff scoring with 6 points in the first 4 games I think? 5 games? I dunno. Another option is Maxime Comtois. Just like Jacob Chychrun last season, the scouts are overthinking things and making a mistake dropping him so far down the rankings. Chychrun and Comtois were supposed to be top 3 picks

I am a huge fan of Elias Pettersson but I can't see him still on board past 12! If Benning took him around 6-8 I'd be happy with the pick. If he does indeed fall to the early teens I'd love to see Benning trade Tanev for that pick and take him.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, B53 said:

Necas is not our man.. He is more of the style of a reliable two way forward who is a guarenteed 3rd line centre, but likely 2nd line centre. 99% of the people on here have not seen Necas play. They pretty much havent seen many of the guys play. They just scouting reports and stats on certain guys, and say "thats who we should pick". My favorite is people that say we shoud pick Cale Makar. How that F do you guys know anything about how he plays, other the word of mouth.

For our pick this year, enough of the middle 6 Virtanen's and 2nd pair Juolevi's. Time to take a risk and take potential 1st line forwards, regardless of size. If we had just took Nylander/Ehlers/Connor, or Tkachuk/Keller, we would be good to go. I admit I havent seen THAT many forwards play outside of maybe like 12-15 or so, like Nico Hischier, Nikita Papugaev, Eeli Tolvanen, Gabe Vilardi, Robert Thomas, Michael Rasmussen, Maxime Comtois, Matthew Strome, Kole Lind, Mackenzie Entwistle, and my personal favor Klim Kostin. Half of them I have only seen once at the top prospects game, and others a few CHL games on Sportsnet.

Klim Kostin I watched closely in the Russia series, and he is one of the prospects I am most excited about. Injury sucks though. Hopefully he drops to 2nd round like Tyler Benson did. He reminds me of Yegor Korshkov how he dominated everyone last year, looking like a man vs boys. Not this excited since David Pastrnak a few years ago (soooo choked when we took McCann), or to a lesser extent, Charlie McAvoy/Adam Fox last year. There are certain guys like Pastrnak that stand out so much that the eye test tells you this guy is a stud. Kinda like Kopitar versus his teammates when he plays for Slovenia. Scouts and GM's often over scout, and start knit picking things they dont like, and dont use the simple eye test which tells you: Stud. For example, a year and a half ago, watching the world juniors, you would watch Finland and say how is Pulijaarvi ahead of this Patrik Laine guy. 

Owen Tippett is the best goalscorer, but apparently doesnt bring much else to the table. Eeli Tolvanen I remember a year and a half ago was an absolute stud and looked like a top 5 pick. This year he looked "OK", but there is so much talent there. If we happen to drop to 7 or so, he is an option for sure. Casey Mittlestadt I have not seen play, or heard much about since he has had injury problems, but every year you have that top american player from USHL or Mens U20 team, and they always seem to turn out great. Jim Benning doesnt seem to get any playmakers, only guys who "have a good release on their shot". Putting Sutter, Boucher, and Goldobin on a line together makes no sense to me. Gabe Vilardi is a guy who in my opinion, would make more sense to take then Owen Tippett. Ovechkin is not as good without Backstrom right?

*IF we were to magically get San Jose's 1st round pick, one guy who is a mid to late 1st round pick that I'd love to get is Elias Petterson. He is going to go higher in the draft then expected if he keeps putting up the numbers he has been against men playing at 150 lbs. He plays with Jonathan Dahlen and together they lead their mens team with almost equal points in the season, and now are 3rd in the league in playoff scoring with 6 points in the first 4 games I think? 5 games? I dunno. Another option is Maxime Comtois. Just like Jacob Chychrun last season, the scouts are overthinking things and making a mistake dropping him so far down the rankings. Chychrun and Comtois were supposed to be top 3 picks

A lot of assumptions in this post there big fella. I would not assume anything about anyone. YouTube is also a great tool to get a "glimpse" or "key hole" into how a player looks. Thought I'd advise you since you failed to mention that in your post above. 

Secondly I can an almost assure you Benning does not take a winger with our first round. We are in greater need of a centre and should have a few options at a suitable centre with our pick. 

Your hindsight looks pretty 20/20 though. So that's good you knew about Kopitar and Pastrnak before all of us. Finally a pro scout on CDC. 

Lastly (please don't think I'm talking down to you) I would not compare at all Chychrun to Comtois. It's a forward vs a d-man. The only comparable is that their stock has dropped but even at that I would put either of them in the same sentence. 

You definitely crammed a lot of info and opinion into your 5th post so I can appreciate that, at least. Exciting times my friend, exciting times. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

I hope he rises into our lap.  It might be the case though the team at 3 might pass on him and go with the guy who's been consistently at #3.  I hope we get the 3rd pick tho so benning can get his guy. I know it will spark years of we should of taken this guy but u know what.  In the end we want the best player.  Some guys take longer and I'm willing to wait.  If its Necas I'm stoked.

Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Glass, Necas, Petterson. I'd say there's a good chance we land Necas at 6th or 7th.   I'd be shocked if he gets picked 3rd. 

7 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Glass, Necas, Petterson. I'd say there's a good chance we land Necas at 6th or 7th.   I'd be shocked if he gets picked 3rd. 

I don't know if Glass will be top ten. 

but definitely can see Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Middlestadt, Necas, Petterson, Lilegren, who else, not sure. that's top eight right there. maybe Glass, and Makar? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't know if Glass will be top ten. 

but definitely can see Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Middlestadt, Necas, Petterson, Lilegren, who else, not sure. that's top eight right there. maybe Glass, and Makar? 

Yeah that looks about right. Glass is a 6'2 centre with skill. I think he at least cracks top 10 at the very least. 

14 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Yeah that looks about right. Glass is a 6'2 centre with skill. I think he at least cracks top 10 at the very least. 

I agree, I think cracks the top 10. What I like about Glass is yeah he's a 6'2 centre with skill who possesses a high hockey sense, strong with the puck,  along with the speed, quick hands, and a crafty shot. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I agree, I think cracks the top 10. What I like about Glass is yeah he's a 6'2 centre with skill who possesses a high hockey sense, strong with the puck,  along with the speed, quick hands, and a crafty shot. 

we need to draft players with high hockey sense. and if he's got size to go with that high hockey sense, sign me up! 

those are usually the players that often do well in the league. 

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yes they have the same odds as third but if neither Vegas nor the team that finishes 3rd last win one of the lotteries who picks first? Pretty sure in that scenario Vegas picks ahead so that team gets bumped another spot back.

No they pick order of all the top ten i believe? that's what they did last year, its how the balls come out of the machine. they dont just pick top 3 then go to standings position

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Hate to burst your bubble but Bergeron is right handed

Hate to burst his bubble but that's not how benning makes decisions 

Hey I had a Canadian center like Bergeron so I should find a czech one! if that's his simplistic approach? LOL

umm no

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

we need to draft players with high hockey sense. and if he's got size to go with that high hockey sense, sign me up! 

those are usually the players that often do well in the league. 

Just by adding an extra 20 something pounds this season made it tougher to push off the puck and yet he's looking to get even bigger and stronger. 

12 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Just by adding an extra 20 something pounds this season made it tougher to push off the puck and yet he's looking to get even bigger and stronger. 

we still talking about Glass, right? haha 

1 hour ago, B53 said:

I was agreeing with your point about people not actually seeing players play and then you suggested we needed elite talent and named these guys and basically through yourself into the same bucket

1. Maxime Comtois - was highly ranked last year and this year hasn't even put up a PPG in the Q - this is not a first line forward and he might fall into the second round

2 Matthew Strome - my guess is you're going by his last name vs skill. Poor skater, more of a grinder and probably higher ranked because he's a strome -certainly not  first line guy

3.  Entwhistle isn't even ranked in the top 2 rounds, Thomas second round, and Klostin lower first.

I am not sure if your post was a troll or what but the guys you're mentioning for the most part are late first/second round picks not top 5

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

In my view here's what it comes down to

1. Draft position obviously but assume we're top 5

2. Top 2 then no brainers given need we take 1) Patrick or if we get 2) Hirschier

3. If we are in three to six hole it then depends on who goes but what I think is key is Benning knows we need a young center and there are quality centers available (so we will end up with a good prospect)

Question I have is, of those centers and I really don't see him taking a dman(unless we have a trade lined up but stranger things have happened,) but question is of the following who does he have ranked higher and who's watched alot of these guys? I have seen none but read alot on a few of them

Villardi - sounds like Bo 2.0 - Benning may want a sure thing and be happy with that - I had read his skating was suspect but also read the opposite but his numbers don't scream elite talent to me.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/03/31/gabriel-vilardi-scouting-report-2017-nhl-draft-3/

Glass - making a real name for himself and putting up big offensive numbers, apparently a good skater and very competitive- needs to fill out though but 6'2 so he should

http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/04/03/cody-glass-scouting-report-2017-nhl-draft-6/

Middlstadt - done alot of reading on this kid and sounds like a legit number one potential, great skater, distributor and makes players around him better apparently- question is quality of competition - since he's in HS - but they factor that into their numbers/adjust - scouts see him top ten so he's legit. Great skater, 6'2 200 lbs already.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/04/02/casey-mittelstadt-scouting-report-2017-nhl-draft-5/

Rasmussen - know very little, read very little but a big kid, local, but much like villardi not puttin up dominant numbers - a project i dont think we would take that high

Necas - unknown read little

Since I haven't seen these guys play and most here haven't either other than youtube highlights its hard to know who's best for us but I would venture to say Middlstadt, Villardi, Glass are probably the order (or at least I would hope) benning has them ranked.

Edited by Boeser6
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

So if Vegas doesn't win the lottery where do they pick?

depends on when one of their balls comes out. Remember last year they have the machine going and draw all the non playoff (lottery) teams and would call out 10-1 position based on what ball came out at what position (like watching lotto 649 results)

But vegas is guaranteed at least #6. 

So, say they get pulled as #7, they would automatically be given the number 6 and then next guy drawn is number 7, then next is number 5. They wouldn't 'go back in' as then they are getting 'more chances at the top pick -which isn't how its designed

So for the draw they are given the same number of chances as finishing number 3

Worst position they can fall to is number 6

Edited by Boeser6

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

No help tonight on the out-of-town tankboard, but if the Canucks lose tomorrow in San Jose they are locked to go no worse than the 5th seed in the lotto, as there would be no teams we can catch even if we win the final three games.  In fact, we need to take 7 of the remaining 8 possible points to move down at all.  Thereby we can pick no worse than top-8.

Canucks loss

NJ beats Philly and Arizona beats Dallas and we're tied for second to last but will have one game in hand on Az