The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

11 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

"Strome" is becoming a euphamism for "over-rated".

I wouldn't draft Mathew for his skill. He's got a pretty hulking frame on him to go along with a great game IQ. Definitely add toughness to our prospect pool. I mean with a late 2nd I could justify it. 

15 hours ago, Boeser6 said:

2 Matthew Strome - my guess is you're going by his last name vs skill. Poor skater, more of a grinder and probably higher ranked because he's a strome -certainly not  first line guy

Matt Strome if taken in the appropriate round could be extremely good value. I'd hope he turns into a Tom Wilson for whoever drafts him. He clearly doesn't have the star power that his other 2 brothers "supposably" have. But I think he's worth a late 2nd or early 3rd. His size and grit could definitely

be used for our rebuilding team down the line. People don't realize that one of his best traits is his hockey sense. 

15 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Matt Strome if taken in the appropriate round could be extremely good value. I'd hope he turns into a Tom Wilson for whoever drafts him. He clearly doesn't have the star power that his other 2 brothers "supposably" have. But I think he's worth a late 2nd or early 3rd. His size and grit could definitely

be used for our rebuilding team down the line. People don't realize that one of his best traits is his hockey sense. 

Remarkably he could turn out better than both his brothers because he doesn't have that hype

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I'd take him in the 3rd round that would be a steal. 

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I wouldn't draft Mathew for his skill. He's got a pretty hulking frame on him to go along with a great game IQ. Definitely add toughness to our prospect pool. I mean with a late 2nd I could justify it. 

skating has been described as suspect and likely not NHL level - avoid

12 hours ago, B53 said:

All the guys I named were top 30 players in the draft, so 1st rounders. We have a top 10 pick this year, and potentially a 30th pick as well. Made sense to me to name those players.

**It would be sweet to get Robert Thomas with the 30th pick. A young Bo Horvat. Popugaev is rated 30th right now, but in my opinion, he looked like a better player then Rasmussen. It's only one game though. A player an inch taller then those two, Isaac Ratcliffe, actually played better then both of them. I have not seen him on anyone's list so I am not sure what he is rated, but I am surprised he has not received more attention.

QUESTION---- Does  anybody know why Matthew Strome is rated so low. Has anyone seen him play? What is so wrong with his game, that scouts have him rated as a late 1st or early 2nd. He had 34 goals and is a point per game player. Was the top scorer on his team as a 17 year old ahead of Will Bitten and Cramarossa's brother. He's on the verge of taking a pretty $&!#ty Hamilton team into the 2nd round of the playoffs. What am I missing. I watched him when the Hamilton-Kingston game was on sportsnet last week, and there was nothing that stood out to me that was super negative. Maybe he wasn't the fastest, and his defensive play didnt stand out, but still. Has anyone got a chance to watch him a few times this year? Does anybody know what the word is on him according to scouts? His brothers seem to think that he is gonna be the best of the 3

a number of the players you named are ranked in the 2nd and 3rd round - i think i explained that in my response

try reading it vs simply scanning and rushing to try and be 'right' - sometimes if you read a response maybe you can accept you made some errors

nothing wrong with making errors - but trying to defend them in light of facts that refute them, simple makes one look childish

A while back, I posted a summary of what a poster over on HF allegedly leaked from a source. Apparently last year he predicted that the Canucks would take Juolevi over Tkachuk by the halfway mark of the season, so it could mean something. Again, probably take it with a grain of salt. It's not Benning coming out with this information.

----------------------------------------------

- On Mittlestadt:

"We will not end up with him. I guarantee that to you. I am 100 percent sure, ok at this point the lowest we will finish is 8. With the 8 pick if he is on the board the Vancouver Canucks WILL NOT BE DRAFTING MITTELSTADT. WILL NOT. Absolultey not. We all not be drafting guys who accumulate 80% of their points on the power play. I will reveal my source like one day before the draft. I promise you guys this."

- A lengthy follow up post:

"This is my source. I will not reveal the full list, but I will reveal the ones that are of interest to Canucks fans.

i,will not say which list this belongs too, all I will tell ya "this NHL team" based on this list their interest level on vilardi and mittelstadt. I don't want Canuck fans to all pissy and stuff when draft day comes BOTH of them are still on board and we pass up on those guys. I will warn you guys ahead of time. I like you guys want the Canucks to suceed too. Feel free to look around mock drafts and stuff, but don't over rely on those. Each player is ranked In a consensuss style. They will be debated. To this point, of course not every scouting staff sees eye to eye. 

I will also, reveal the 2nd ranked 2 way foward according to this team who ranks players based on playing style. Necas is number 2 on this list. They really like him.

Keeping in mind I am almost certain they have the next 2 "2way fowards" ahead of the number 2 ranked "offensive foward". And ad you guys can probably make a guess how many players are in between mittelstadt and heicher, and that's just one category. So already 

You guys can probably gauge yourself, now. Nico/Nolan 1-2. Somewhere in the mix 3-5 is necas, # 3ranked fwd and #4, 2way fwd and #1 ranked offensive dman. 

6 7 8

At this point maybe #2 ranked offensive foward. A huge maybe. If you see list yourself I am almost certain "most nucks fans " will much rather have the number 1 and 2 ranked offensive dmans over the number 2 ranked offensive Fwd. well for me I rather have those offensive dmans over that player. not only that, we also added dahlen and goldobin, boeser is on the rise and baertchi is also improving, so if you ask me I will gladly pass up,on him and stock pile our defence. Cause this player is also not a centre.

Let's not ignore the number 1 ranked power foward. Is he in the 6-8 range? How bout the number 3 ranked offensive fwd? I take this guy 10 out of 10 times over mittelstadt. Why?

Those 2 players play in the same league. That player has 80 percent of his points even strength. Mittelstadt is the opposite. 80 of his stats is from the power play. 

that's all I have to say. I will keep you guys updated when I can. The reason why I said the day before draft is because I can obtain their "final rankings" at that point, and if I can it's 100 percent their final rankings. 

(*his/her*) Personal oppions of this list.

This list was complied by an NHL team, by their scouts. No one has to agree with the list. We've seen NHL teams make the wrong picks before, and it happens. 

I'm sure you guys are surprised to see vilardi and mittelstadt ranked were they are. I am too. This list has give me a chance to see why those players are ranked lower, I am also trying to research, why some players are higher. 

Mittelstadt, I was able obtain information that something like 80 percent of his points are from the power play. I do not have a linkable source on this one. if I can find something I will share it, but most of his points is from the power play. Not to mention his 2 way game needs harsh work that's why he's put into "offensive fwd" thus me saying why I am 100 percent sure will not. Be drafting him with the 8th pick.

Without giving away too much info , I will tell you guys this.

Surprised at were this team has comtois and rasmuesson ranked. 
Surprised at were foote is ranked.
Very surpsrised at were they have Cody glass and Yamamoto ranked."

* He included a picture of the categories and the rankings. Most of the names were inked out:

2-Way F:

Patrick

Necas

Lots of inked out names

PWF:

Kostin

______

Offensive F:
Hischier

______

Mittlestadt

_______

Vilardi

________

________

OFD:

Liljegren

_______

2 Way D:
_______

Foote

_______

_______

Other Categories were empty.

- A later response:

"I cannot disclose that, but its their "latest". 

"its highly unlikely we fall to 8th, to fall to 8th means 3 teams behind us winning the top 3 picks, which is highly unlikely that said, for the sake of it, if we retain the 5th pick, which is our current position. I am 99.9 percent sure we are walking out of this draft with either centreman or a dman. DMAN is if necas and the other centreman they want is gone, then I really think they will target the offensive dman. I rather have that offensive dman over over the number 3 ranked 2 way forward or the number 2 ranked offensive forward. easy."

- A reply to someone asking about his source:

"who said my source was with the Canucks ;)?"

- On Vilardi:

"I see. 71 points 60 games is not elite , let alone top 3. is not that impressive considering he has Logan Brown as a teammate and Michael Sergechev. Not to mention foot speed is resembles Michael Dal Cole at the same age and he is not even ripping it up. Does not represent a top 3 pick at all.

I think that might be the reason why they are not too impressed with Vilardi. lets not lose hope maybe he jumps higher? who knows."

- On Necas:

"kids already doing a fine job playing against men. his hard working and highly skilled style will be North American ready."

- A later response:

"suzuki was not rated.

there are 2 other players in between Heicher and MIttelstadt, so he is actually rated the 4th best offensive foward in this draft.

list was compiled by an NHL team."

- When asked about category rankings vs a list:

"they do have a ranking system based on bpa, I just don't have that list. I"ve seen it before. this list was just a break down of playing styles of prospects."

--------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone wants to see for themselves, his name is lawrence on HF Boards.

I'm not sure how valid this information could be. His spelling/grammar are not good at all, but apparently he was right last year so I can't really say. These are all direct quotes from him/her. The lists are only within their respective categories, so it's impossible to predict who specifically they could be targeting. For example, Necas is ranked #2 in the 2 way forwards category, but does that mean they like him more than Liljegren, who is ranked #1 in the offensive defensemen category? It's impossible to get specifics, but it offers an idea of who they might like or not like. 

Side note, He talked about possibly being able to obtain the final rankings at the end of the year. He also made a point of not trying to get his source fired or exposed. 

Again, take it with a grain of salt. 

• Upvote 4

Ya.....taking all that with more salt than I do my tequila.

What has been the Canucks' #1 issue since losing to LA in 2012?

The power play.

So a centre capable of producing in the PP with size speed and skill and we pass on him?  Nope 

A 17 year old centre anchoring the 2nd and 3rd lines in Windsor better than a PPG AND defensively responsible and we pass on him?  Nope.

Klim Kostin...lawl this would be the year Benning Zach Hammils this club 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The power play.

So a centre capable of producing in the PP with size speed and skill and we pass on him?  Nope 

A 17 year old centre anchoring the 2nd and 3rd lines in Windsor better than a PPG AND defensively responsible and we pass on him?  Nope.

I really just hope we win 2nd overall and we select Hischier. Problem solved.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So... where are Glass and Yamamoto ranked?  High or low?

I don't think he said. Some other posters were asking about them as well I think. 

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The power play.

Regarding Kostin, just because he is the #1 ranked PWF doesn't mean he's someone we are targeting. Benning could view all of the players in all the 2 way forwards category to be better than their #1 ranked PWF. That could apply to all the other categories as well.

Just the same, It could mean that their #1 PWF is ranked higher than anyone else, but that seems unlikely.