The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

On 3/27/2017 at 6:06 PM, Odd. said:

He was right about Juolevi near the draft so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Plenty of people were right about Juolevi, but Botchford has botched so many other things I wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Upvote 1

Defence NHL players

LHD                                      RHD                       

Alex Edler                           Troy Stetcher

Luca Sbisa                         Chris Tanev

Ben Hutton                         Nikita Tyramkin 

Alex Biega                          Eric Gudbranson  

Philip Larson

Defence prospects

LHD                                      RHD                        

Evan McEneny                     Jordan Subban

Oli Juolevi                            Jalen Chatfield

Guillaume Brisebois            Cael Neill 

Tate Olson 

Have I missed anyone? 

Looking at this we can afford to trade Tanev and Edler.  We need a puck moving offence man .  The two best RHD players in the 2017 draft are:

- Timothy Liljegren 

- Cal Makar 

Oli Juolevi             Timothy Liljegren/ Cal Makar

Luca Sbisa            Troy Stetcher 

Ben Hutton           Nikita Tyramkin

Alex Biega            Phillip Larson 

Even Mceneny     Jordan Subban 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

He's a solid support player IMO.  He doesn't necessarily wow you at all but plays a more support role, not driving plays but finishing them.  Not the kind of guy you'd really want to waste a 2nd round pick on necessarily but one you wouldn't regret later on.  He's an RW but benefits heavily bouncing around the top 6.  Think Patrick Sharp without the skating or defensive acumen.  Very very easy things to work on as coach Smith allows him basic free reign offensively and doesn't lean to hard on him for defensive matters.

But I don't expect him to be around in the 2nd round myself and if he is with say our CBJ pick (absolutely not happening) I would jump on him hard.

best case scenario would see us adding a early mid 1st and an early mid 2nd (preferably same team) and drafting Foote and Lind at the same time while still netting Comtois Timmins Kostin (who I think is a serious faller) Strome Brook or even Vaakanainen with our own actual pick and a possible shocking sleeper or faller with the CBJ pick

I'd even be inclined if he is available in the 2nd round to trade the cbj 2nd and our 3rd for him.  Again I like him, I don't see him being available in the 2nd round.  But all around amazing support player and if this year and last year are indicative of next season and 2019 I think we'll be able to draft our #1 C to allow him to play with a Horvat or this years Hischier/Vilardi/Mittlestadt etc

Also, chippy game tonight, Foote might be hurt really only played sporadic shifts that I saw and missed a good portion of the 3rd

When is it (or has it been already) the deadline for Columbus to declare their intention for the Torts compensation?

7 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Since that post was in October 2015, I think he meant June 1st of 2016. If I can remember correctly it was somewhere in the Burrows-Dahlen trade where someone posted a tweet saying that we would get CBJ'S 2nd rounder this year

Edited by Odd.

16 hours ago, Warhippy said:

He's a solid support player IMO.  He doesn't necessarily wow you at all but plays a more support role, not driving plays but finishing them.  Not the kind of guy you'd really want to waste a 2nd round pick on necessarily but one you wouldn't regret later on.  He's an RW but benefits heavily bouncing around the top 6.  Think Patrick Sharp without the skating or defensive acumen.  Very very easy things to work on as coach Smith allows him basic free reign offensively and doesn't lean to hard on him for defensive matters.

But I don't expect him to be around in the 2nd round myself and if he is with say our CBJ pick (absolutely not happening) I would jump on him hard.

best case scenario would see us adding a early mid 1st and an early mid 2nd (preferably same team) and drafting Foote and Lind at the same time while still netting Comtois Timmins Kostin (who I think is a serious faller) Strome Brook or even Vaakanainen with our own actual pick and a possible shocking sleeper or faller with the CBJ pick

I'd even be inclined if he is available in the 2nd round to trade the cbj 2nd and our 3rd for him.  Again I like him, I don't see him being available in the 2nd round.  But all around amazing support player and if this year and last year are indicative of next season and 2019 I think we'll be able to draft our #1 C to allow him to play with a Horvat or this years Hischier/Vilardi/Mittlestadt etc

Also, chippy game tonight, Foote might be hurt really only played sporadic shifts that I saw and missed a good portion of the 3rd

I would like to see Comtois drop to second, it's likely at the moment. 

16 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I live in Kelowna and go to lots of Rockets game so I was interested to see how your view on Lind compared to mine. I personally don't think he'll get drafted in the first round and I'm not sure he is worth our early second rounder. To me has lots of inconsistenties in his game that make him a bit of reach. Even at last nights game he looked a little overwhelmed all though the whole team didn't well. I didn't like his game last night... like you said he is a finisher and drive the play enough for my liking. I much prefer a Dylan Dube type player. The real steal will be in a couple years when Nolan Foote becomes draft eligible. 

32 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

I live in Kelowna and go to lots of Rockets game so I was interested to see how your view on Lind compared to mine. I personally don't think he'll get drafted in the first round and I'm not sure he is worth our early second rounder. To me has lots of inconsistenties in his game that make him a bit of reach. Even at last nights game he looked a little overwhelmed all though the whole team didn't well. I didn't like his game last night... like you said he is a finisher and drive the play enough for my liking. I much prefer a Dylan Dube type player. The real steal will be in a couple years when Nolan Foote becomes draft eligible. 

Beauty man

The Sharp comparison is mostly due to my belief that he'd need 3-5 years of seasoning before reaching his potential.  I wouldn't use our pick in the 2nd on him but the CBJ 2nd no question.  Or if we obtained another for sure.

But I don't see him slipping past 35th 

Nolan is going top 10 in 2019 almost without question.  He's a gamer.  Cal as well.  Both of them will make whoever drafts them happy

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Beauty man

The Sharp comparison is mostly due to my belief that he'd need 3-5 years of seasoning before reaching his potential.  I wouldn't use our pick in the 2nd on him but the CBJ 2nd no question.  Or if we obtained another for sure.

But I don't see him slipping past 35th 

Nolan is going top 10 in 2019 almost without question.  He's a gamer.  Cal as well.  Both of them will make whoever drafts them happy

Ya totally he just doesn't really fit where were drafting. My dream is still to make any deal we can to be able to draft Cal as I think he is one of the safest picks in the draft. May not be a 1 but someone is going to be really happy with him. He is pretty steady and even on the goal last night he just got hung out to dry. Also agree top 10 for Nolan as you can see his natural talent already as a 16 year old and he is only getting stronger. Would love the Canucks to have both of them! 

1 hour ago, High and Inside said:

Ya totally he just doesn't really fit where were drafting. My dream is still to make any deal we can to be able to draft Cal as I think he is one of the safest picks in the draft. May not be a 1 but someone is going to be really happy with him. He is pretty steady and even on the goal last night he just got hung out to dry. Also agree top 10 for Nolan as you can see his natural talent already as a 16 year old and he is only getting stronger. Would love the Canucks to have both of them! 

Without question both of them.

Call GMJB!

On 3/31/2017 at 11:50 AM, Warhippy said:

*cough Cal Foote* another solid game recently 3 points in 4 games holding the Blazers to 6 goals in 4 games single handedly shutting down their top line in games 2 and 4.

Just saying

I would absolutely love to draft Foote... but not if it's our lone 1st rounder- we would need to pick up another one. Don't get me wrong, I think he will play solid defensive hockey for a lot of years but we really really REALLY need a playmaking center and offence and this appears to be the year for them in the top 10.

• Upvote 2

On 3/31/2017 at 2:55 PM, Blömqvist said:

Imagine this upcoming draft we walk away with Mittelstadt and Foote. Add to our prospect pool a playmaking #1C and a big physical two-way #2/3D.

Our prospect depth would look like...

Dahlen - Mittelstadt - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Goldobin

Granlund - Gaudette - Virtanen

Gaunce - McKenzie - Lockwood

Juolevi - Foote

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Stecher

McEneny - Subban

Brisebois

Honestly, and I realize we are projecting forward a lot here... but that looks really good. Now not all those prospects are likely to work out but that lineup could do some real damage in a few years. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Derp... said:

Anyone think if Cody Glass and the winterhawks make it to the WHL finals, then he will be a top 10 pick? They were a wild card playoff team and could knock out PG in the next game.

He has a good shot at cracking top 10 regardless 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

Someone sell me on Vilardi... I haven't seen him enough to be high on him or write him off either.

I really like Nico H and Casey M as I can picture how they will fill a need on our team.

What strengths does Vilardi have that we are lacking?

He's big but not overly physical

He knows how to protect the puck

He had a pro shot and good play making abilities with high hockey IQ and is good in his own end. He could work on his speed. 

Plays a Shawn matthias style of hockey just way more skilled and hopefully more consistent in the show.

Edited by 73 Percent