The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

HENRI JOKIHARJU the should draft him. it fits their style of weak euro defence like the one they selected this past draft

Juolevi is an ox. 

There are legitimate possible concerns with Juolevi you can have, but him being weak isn't one of them.

Let's at least try to keep the discussion honest. This doesn't help.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scruffy05 said:

Juolevi is an ox. 

There are legitimate possible concerns with Juolevi you can have, but him being weak isn't one of them.

Do not feed the troll

• Upvote 2

No help tonight on the out-of-town tankboard, but if the Canucks lose tomorrow in San Jose they are locked to go no worse than the 5th seed in the lotto, as there would be no teams we can catch even if we win the final three games.  In fact, we need to take 7 of the remaining 8 possible points to move down at all.  Thereby we can pick no worse than top-8.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scruffy05 said:

Juolevi is an ox. 

Bo is an ox.  Juiolevi is tall and lean.  He definitely needs time to physically mature.  

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

No help tonight on the out-of-town tankboard, but if the Canucks lose tomorrow in San Jose they are locked to go no worse than the 5th seed in the lotto, as there would be no teams we can catch even if we win the final three games.  In fact, we need to take 7 of the remaining 8 possible points to move down at all.  Thereby we can pick no worse than top-8.

No worse than 8th you say

Image result for bettman

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I think we're pretty much locked in min 4th seed going into lotto now 

With the Detroit win tonight the worst 'draft' position entering the lottery we will have is 4th worst in the league. NJ is one point back and even in games played, and surprisingly Arizona is only 2 pts back, but we have a game in hand. If there is any time to 'ever just tank it' - it's with 4 games left and 2 pts out of second to last. Shut down Edler, Sutter, Tanev, and try to go 0-4. Not a tanker but 4 games for potential long term gain is smart

Dallas is 6 pts (Detroit 7pts) up on us with 3 games left, they need only 2 pts and we're locked out of 5th

We'd also have to run the table in our last 4 games

The combination of those two things is unlikely. Better chance we get third spot going into the lottery or 2nd spot tbh.

Edited by Boeser6
  • Upvote 1

Vegas pushes us back to 5th.  It's starting to look more likely for Arizona to pass us than the Devils as we play them Thursday, but we have more ROWs than both so the Coyotes need 3 points and Devils 2.  That would put us 2nd and no lower than the 5th pick, and is certainly doable at this point.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Vegas pushes us back to 5th.  It's starting to look more likely for Arizona to pass us than the Devils as we play them Thursday, but we have more ROWs than both so the Coyotes need 3 points and Devils 2.  That would put us 2nd and no lower than the 5th pick, and is certainly doable at this point.

Las Vegas has the 'same' odds as the number 3 pick to be specific 

9 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Necas stock keeps rising, even over Middlestadt and Vilardi

I hope he rises into our lap.  It might be the case though the team at 3 might pass on him and go with the guy who's been consistently at #3.  I hope we get the 3rd pick tho so benning can get his guy. I know it will spark years of we should of taken this guy but u know what.  In the end we want the best player.  Some guys take longer and I'm willing to wait.  If its Necas I'm stoked.

• Upvote 1

There's no chance in hell we pass on Vilardi or Mittelstadt to take Necas.

I think even Liljegren is probably higher on Benning's list than him.

Necas would be a good pick if we end up picking around 7 or 8.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Boeser6 said:

Las Vegas has the 'same' odds as the number 3 pick to be specific 

Yes they have the same odds as third but if neither Vegas nor the team that finishes 3rd last win one of the lotteries who picks first? Pretty sure in that scenario Vegas picks ahead so that team gets bumped another spot back.

Necas is not our man.. He is more of the style of a reliable two way forward who is a guarenteed 3rd line centre, but likely 2nd line centre. 99% of the people on here have not seen Necas play. They pretty much havent seen many of the guys play. They just scouting reports and stats on certain guys, and say "thats who we should pick". My favorite is people that say we shoud pick Cale Makar. How that F do you guys know anything about how he plays, other the word of mouth.

For our pick this year, enough of the middle 6 Virtanen's and 2nd pair Juolevi's. Time to take a risk and take potential 1st line forwards, regardless of size. If we had just took Nylander/Ehlers/Connor, or Tkachuk/Keller, we would be good to go. I admit I havent seen THAT many forwards play outside of maybe like 12-15 or so, like Nico Hischier, Nikita Papugaev, Eeli Tolvanen, Gabe Vilardi, Robert Thomas, Michael Rasmussen, Maxime Comtois, Matthew Strome, Kole Lind, Mackenzie Entwistle, and my personal favor Klim Kostin. Half of them I have only seen once at the top prospects game, and others a few CHL games on Sportsnet.

Klim Kostin I watched closely in the Russia series, and he is one of the prospects I am most excited about. Injury sucks though. Hopefully he drops to 2nd round like Tyler Benson did. He reminds me of Yegor Korshkov how he dominated everyone last year, looking like a man vs boys. Not this excited since David Pastrnak a few years ago (soooo choked when we took McCann), or to a lesser extent, Charlie McAvoy/Adam Fox last year. There are certain guys like Pastrnak that stand out so much that the eye test tells you this guy is a stud. Kinda like Kopitar versus his teammates when he plays for Slovenia. Scouts and GM's often over scout, and start knit picking things they dont like, and dont use the simple eye test which tells you: Stud. For example, a year and a half ago, watching the world juniors, you would watch Finland and say how is Pulijaarvi ahead of this Patrik Laine guy. 

Owen Tippett is the best goalscorer, but apparently doesnt bring much else to the table. Eeli Tolvanen I remember a year and a half ago was an absolute stud and looked like a top 5 pick. This year he looked "OK", but there is so much talent there. If we happen to drop to 7 or so, he is an option for sure. Casey Mittlestadt I have not seen play, or heard much about since he has had injury problems, but every year you have that top american player from USHL or Mens U20 team, and they always seem to turn out great. Jim Benning doesnt seem to get any playmakers, only guys who "have a good release on their shot". Putting Sutter, Boucher, and Goldobin on a line together makes no sense to me. Gabe Vilardi is a guy who in my opinion, would make more sense to take then Owen Tippett. Ovechkin is not as good without Backstrom right?

*IF we were to magically get San Jose's 1st round pick, one guy who is a mid to late 1st round pick that I'd love to get is Elias Petterson. He is going to go higher in the draft then expected if he keeps putting up the numbers he has been against men playing at 150 lbs. He plays with Jonathan Dahlen and together they lead their mens team with almost equal points in the season, and now are 3rd in the league in playoff scoring with 6 points in the first 4 games I think? 5 games? I dunno. Another option is Maxime Comtois. Just like Jacob Chychrun last season, the scouts are overthinking things and making a mistake dropping him so far down the rankings. Chychrun and Comtois were supposed to be top 3 picks

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scruffy05 said:

Can anybody sell me on Liljegren? If we are going to spend a top 10 pick I would want a top pair defenseman but, looking at number only albeit, I don't see it. Mediocre size, a lot of bouncing around and demotions and promotions and not great numbers. I don't have any eye-test to go by.

He does do great in tournaments though. Is that most of his draw? The sample size on those is not comforting.

He's a lot better than Juolevi who we took 5th overall! I think a good comparison for Liljigren is a Doughty type. Now that is a ceiling comparison so a lot of things would need to go right like any prospect. I do really like Liljigren and see him still going top 3. However I'm hoping the Canucks get gifted a top forward because the dmen at the top of next years draft look incredible. So Patrick or Hischier this year and Dahlin or Merkley next year!