The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

13 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

if we somehow land the 3rd overall pick via a lotto boost.  who is the next clear cut guy?  who would you expect we take?

also when is draft lotto done again?

Usually near the end of April.

IMO, Mittlestadt. 

• Upvote 1

I think Martin Necas and Nick Suzuki are the two biggest sleepers in this draft. I'd take Necas at as high as pick number five with Suzuki not too far behind.

Patrick 

Hischier

Vilardi

Liljegren

Necas

Mittelstadt

Suzuki

Glass

Makar

My rankings are super interchangeable (especially from 5 and onwards), but I'll tell you this much: no matter where we pick, we'll be picking a player who will one day be a top-pairing dman or a bonafide top-6 centre in the NHL. 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

if we somehow land the 3rd overall pick via a lotto boost.  who is the next clear cut guy?  who would you expect we take?

also when is draft lotto done again?

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

Usually near the end of April.

IMO, Mittlestadt. 

Last year the lottery took place on Saturday, April 30th. I would expect that they would keep it on a Saturday for the big reveal to happen on HNIC again, so that would put us on April 29th this year. My best guess. 

Just now, HomeBrew said:

Last year the lottery took place on Saturday, April 30th. I would expect that they would keep it on a Saturday for the big reveal to happen on HNIC again, so that would put us on April 29th this year. My best guess. 

In 2015, the lottery was held on April 18th so it could also be as early as next saturday.

13 minutes ago, Odd. said:

In 2015, the lottery was held on April 18th so it could also be as early as next saturday.

Ah, yes. You are right. Last year was a new format, so maybe they stick to it? Who knows though really. 

2016: Saturday, April 30th 

2015: Saturday, April 18th

2014: Tuesday, April 15th

2013: Monday, April 30th

Kind of all over the place. It is strange that they haven't officially announced it yet.

Edited by HomeBrew

5 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I ran the simulator about 12 times.  FLA finished 1st on my first go. then continued to get 7 top 3 picks out of the 12. 

Vancouver had 4 top 3 picks... lol damn lotto simulator lol

Ran it twice. Landed #2/Hischier pick on my second try and figured I'd stop while I was ahead :lol:

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Ran it twice. Landed #2/Hischier pick on my second try and figured I'd stop while I was ahead :lol:

Good call lol.. I rerolled a few times again earlier.  LA got the 2nd pick, van got 3rd. Lol crazy thoughts.

6 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

1 interesting fact about Necas.  Not only is he ranked #3 overall on button's list but he is also a right handed C.  Who has spent the season in the Czech men's league. 

Very interesting. The balance of having a right and left C on your top 2 lines is a nice option for your club.  Gives you more options in the offensive and defensive zones.

BPA regardless of which way they shoot when we are in the middle of rebuilding. They can always be converted to a wing in the future, if say, we take another C next draft who ends up shooting R. William Nylander is an example of this happening. 

I initially had reservations about Mittlestadt due to his very high power play point totals, but rather a lot of digital ink has been spilled from various sources that indicates the league he is in generally has a much higher percentage of power play points. I think he definitely fits in that B group after Patrick and Hischier.

Still significant concerns for me injury wise with Patrick and Liljegren.

I ran it once, and now never again. Finished this will do nicely thank you!

Reset

Winners

First

Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver Canucks

Second

Dallas Stars

Dallas Stars

Third

Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

Draft Order

1 Vancouver Canucks
2 Dallas Stars
3 Colorado Avalanche
4 Arizona Coyotes
5 Vegas Golden Knights
6 New Jersey Devils
7 Detroit Red Wings
8 Buffalo Sabres
9 Florida Panthers
10 Winnipeg Jets
11 Los Angeles Kings
12 Philadelphia Flyers
13 Carolina Hurricanes
14 New York Islanders
15 Tampa Bay Lightning

You have run the simulator 1 time.

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
Top 3
Vancouver Canucks
Dallas Stars
Colorado Avalanche
The NHL Lottery Simulator is proudly ad free. Consider donating to help keep it that way!

5 minutes ago, Scruffy05 said:

I initially had reservations about Mittlestadt due to his very high power play point totals, but rather a lot of digital ink has been spilled from various sources that indicates the league he is in generally has a much higher percentage of power play points. I think he definitely fits in that B group after Patrick and Hischier.

Still significant concerns for me injury wise with Patrick and Liljegren.

I like MIttlestadt much more then Vlardi.  I hope we pick him if Jim doesn't see 1 directly above him.  He seems more offensively capable.  Too be fair I haven't seen a ton of Vlardi but I just am not that much of a fan of him. If he gets drafted by us that will obviously change. :)  I would love to see if Jim decides Necas or a D man like Makar or lillgren might be worth the wait. 

Exciting times.  Just need to wait for the draft lotto to begin!

Can anybody sell me on Liljegren? If we are going to spend a top 10 pick I would want a top pair defenseman but, looking at number only albeit, I don't see it. Mediocre size, a lot of bouncing around and demotions and promotions and not great numbers. I don't have any eye-test to go by.

He does do great in tournaments though. Is that most of his draw? The sample size on those is not comforting.

Look at this draft ranking list from Jan.  https://www.nhl.com/news/adam-kimelman-2017-nhl-mock-draft/c-285904700

This has VAN picking 13th overall. oh have we fallen Lol.

Has us picking:

13. Vancouver Canucks - Lias Andersson, C, HV 71 (SWE)

A third-generation star in the Swedish Elite League, Andersson has NHL-caliber offensive abilities. He had three goals in seven games for Sweden at the 2017 WJC, and scouts like his two-way skill and the way he can set up plays and finish them.

3 minutes ago, Scruffy05 said:

Can anybody sell me on Liljegren? If we are going to spend a top 10 pick I would want a top pair defenseman but, looking at number only albeit, I don't see it. Mediocre size, a lot of bouncing around and demotions and promotions and not great numbers. I don't have any eye-test to go by.

He does do great in tournaments though. Is that most of his draw? The sample size on those is not comforting.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/who-else-made-mckenzie-s-top-5~1046947

#3 on bob's list. talks on him first.

I'm sure someone else can sell you better :D   Bob barely touches on him.