The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do you have Olli Juolevi in your 2016-17 opening roster?

I don't know yet if I do and I want to see/hear some opinions and thoughts.

My proposed defense with him in it -

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Juolevi Tryamkin

Pedan Biega

I've traded Sbisa

Without him -

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Sbisa

Pedan Biega 

2 minutes ago, Franz Liszt said:

I don't know yet if I do and I want to see/hear some opinions and thoughts.

My proposed defense with him in it -

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Juolevi Tryamkin

Pedan Biega

I've traded Sbisa

Without him -

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Sbisa

Pedan Biega 

It's really hard for D to move straight into the NHL, and contribute.  I can only think of Ekblad.  

Trading Sbisa is not a good idea.  We need to expose one D in the Expansion draft, and that's Sbisa.

He will need at least one year to adapt to the playing style of North America. I don't think that we will see home until at least 2017/18.

Just now, Alflives said:

It's really hard for D to move straight into the NHL, and contribute.  I can only think of Ekblad.  

Trading Sbisa is not a good idea.  We need to expose one D in the Expansion draft, and that's Sbisa.

Hutton and tryamkin did pretty well.

Just now, Stamkos said:

He will need at least one year to adapt to the playing style of North America. I don't think that we will see home until at least 2017/18.

He played an entire season for the London Knights of the OHL.   

Just now, Alflives said:

He played an entire season for the London Knights of the OHL.   

Thought he played in Finland. Oh well.

Benning seems to have suggested he'll be playing in the OHL next year depending on his training camp. Quite frankly we need to develop this kid properly if he's going to pan out as a #1/#2 D - so rushing him into the NHL environment before he fills out another 20 pounds might be a big mistake.

I don't think he should be on the opening roster unless he DESTROYS training camp. Lets see if he can put on a bunch of lean muscle mass over the next three months and decide from there.

1 minute ago, Stamkos said:

Thought he played in Finland. Oh well.

At 17 he was voted the best D at the WJC and at the Mem Cup.  He's 6'3" and almost 200 lbs.  He has a super high hockey IQ.  He's brilliant at taking on the forecheck.  

If if any young D will make our team, it's him.

4 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Benning seems to have suggested he'll be playing in the OHL next year depending on his training camp. Quite frankly we need to develop this kid properly if he's going to pan out as a #1/#2 D - so rushing him into the NHL environment before he fills out another 20 pounds might be a big mistake.

I don't think he should be on the opening roster unless he DESTROYS training camp. Lets see if he can put on a bunch of lean muscle mass over the next three months and decide from there.

Bingo. Benning basically said he thinks Joulevi is ready mentally, but he needs to add on some more weight before he's ready physically. 

At 17 he was voted the best D at the WJC and at the Mem Cup.  He's 6'3" and almost 200 lbs.  He has a super high hockey IQ.  He's brilliant at taking on the forecheck.  

If if any young D will make our team, it's him.

He's listed at 182-185 lbs at the moment.

I think (hope) that OJ has a good training camp but I would prefer that he play at least another year in either the OHL or AHL (I believe he's eligible) before joining the big club.

No need to rush him in as it's not like the Canucks will be competing for the SC next year.

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Bingo. Benning basically said he thinks Joulevi is ready mentally, but he needs to add on some more weight before he's ready physically. 

He's listed at 182-185 lbs at the moment.

So, more than 90% of the way to 200!

I don't think so.  I also don't like the way Benning worded it, that he could play in the NHL next year.....if he gains a bunch of weight.

I want the kid to progress naturally......not spend the next 2 months trying to gain weight as fast as he can.

No, he didn't make my Liszt.  That's not to say that it couldn't happen but with our new found depth on D there is no need to rush him.  He's going to be great for our team if and when he does make it though.  Excited to see this guy play, but I'm willing to be patient.

I wouldn't count him out. He seems very confident and determined to make the team. But I think a year in Utica would be good for, him. No need to rush, although, I'm impatient and want to see him on the team right away. 

5 minutes ago, nux_win said:

No, he didn't make my Liszt.  That's not to say that it couldn't happen but with our new found depth on D there is no need to rush him.  He's going to be great for our team if and when he does make it though.  Excited to see this guy play, but I'm willing to be patient.

We have to be certain he can Handel it before we call him up

Archived