The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do you have Olli Juolevi in your 2016-17 opening roster?

If it wasn't for his lanky frame (6'3 179lbs), then he would have been a huge possibility. Juolevi said he is bulking over the summer and is trainng hard because as a top 5 pick he said it's his goal to make the NHL and being a top 5 pick there's twice the desire.

I do think he'll impress at training camp, but just like Ivan Provorov, I think he'll go back for one more year and be that veteran presence for London. Especially since Linden confirmed he isn't actually eligible for Utica as many (including me) thought since he came from Finland.

But maybe after next year, assuming we still have Edler/Tanev/Tryamkin

Edler/Tanev

Hutton/Gudbranson

Juolevi/Tryamkin

If he makes the Canucks, I'd have to think Sbisa gets traded. Since it's Russia or Canucks for Tryamkin.

At 6'3 188 and 18 years old he has room to grow in size as well.

I project him being around 6'4 202 or so and that's good size for this day and age's defensemen.  Especially when a d man has the skill Juolevi possess.

EDIT: Everyone seems to get the height/weight numbers a little off from each other..

21 minutes ago, babych said:

I think (hope) that OJ has a good training camp but I would prefer that he play at least another year in either the OHL or AHL (I believe he's eligible) before joining the big club.

No need to rush him in as it's not like the Canucks will be competing for the SC next year.

he's not eligible for AHL cuz he's not on loan from Finland

14 minutes ago, Scruffy05 said:

We have to be certain he can Handel it before we call him up

If we send him down, how long will it take before he's Bach?

as much as i wanna watch him play with us next year, i think it would be best for him to stay in junior and dominate as the top defencemen in the league. i think it would be good for him to learn to put up a lot of points as oppose to him playing with us getting probably around 15 this season. he also needs to get bigger and stronger

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

It's really hard for D to move straight into the NHL, and contribute.  I can only think of Ekblad.  

Trading Sbisa is not a good idea.  We need to expose one D in the Expansion draft, and that's Sbisa.

Victor Headman

Luke Schenn

Zach Bogosian

Alex Pietrangelo

Drew Doughty

Noah Hanifin

Seth Jones

Ramus Ristolainen

Adam Larson

Cam Fowler

just a few off the top of my head

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Bingo. Benning basically said he thinks Joulevi is ready mentally, but he needs to add on some more weight before he's ready physically. 

He's listed at 182-185 lbs at the moment.

Wiki has him at 188 not sure how accurate that is.

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Wiki has him at 188 not sure how accurate that is.

I was going by what they said he was at the draft. I figure they would have had the most up to date info because of the combine. 

Let's split the difference though, say he's 185. For a guy who's 6'3" it definitely couldn't hurt him to put on another 10-20 pounds before training camp.

2 hours ago, Fateless said:

Benning seems to have suggested he'll be playing in the OHL next year depending on his training camp. Quite frankly we need to develop this kid properly if he's going to pan out as a #1/#2 D - so rushing him into the NHL environment before he fills out another 20 pounds might be a big mistake.

I don't think he should be on the opening roster unless he DESTROYS training camp. Lets see if he can put on a bunch of lean muscle mass over the next three months and decide from there.

I want him to be dominant whereever he plays. He has such a unique skillset. I'm fine with baking him in London for one more season to further grow his confidence. 

If he breaks out at camp and is in top 5 of our d maybe ponder it.  He's going to be special. Real special.  

He is a super star in the making he needs ice time and prime minutes.  If Wilie could be ousted by seasons end coming in fresh with green as coach would be great for him.

Hate to see Hutton slide down but it might force an edler deal.^^  or more even ice time!  If he's here he needs pp and eventually pk time!  Glad jb thinks he's mentally ready. He looks it in his interview.  He knows how to joke 2 which will help him in van. Him and bo are probably gonna be good friends

They both have that quiet, serious confidence. 

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

I was going by what they said he was at the draft. I figure they would have had the most up to date info because of the combine. 

Let's split the difference though, say he's 185. For a guy who's 6'3" it definitely couldn't hurt him to put on another 10-20 pounds before training camp.

Agree

I think he will surprise us at camp. I'd he follows the bulking plan virt and McCann took he will be sitting pretty.  He gained 9 lbs muscle in the 2nd half of last season.  That is very rare only other young guy I know who's done that lately was bo.

His existing plan is probably already really good.

I'd say almost zero chance he makes it next year. We have a lot of Dmen and a lot of waiver eligible Dmen. 

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson 

Sbisa-Tryamkin 

Pedan

Biega

Larsen

9 Dmen ahead of him, and that's assuming we don't keep Hamhuis. I think with Dmen, unless it's Ekblad, they are better off developing for a year or two after being drafted. 

1 hour ago, ChampStatus said:

Victor Headman

Luke Schenn

Zach Bogosian

Alex Pietrangelo

Drew Doughty

Noah Hanifin

Seth Jones

Ramus Ristolainen

Adam Larson

Cam Fowler

just a few off the top of my head

Wow!  That's A LOT of guys.  Maybe our guy can make the jump?

Let him go to the AHL next season, as he is eligible if he rocks training camp.  Send him back to London if he is meh at camp.  Simple and straight forward.  As a euro, he does not have to return to the CHL, and if it is worth one year off his RFA status, then keep him in Utica, learning the Pro game.  He can get called up and down and will be waiver exempt for three years.  Win win.  

I imagine he will be at camp, but don't expect to see him with the Canucks at all through the season.

He will do well to experience at least one year in Utica, if for no other reason than to adapt to the professional game.  As mentioned, if he can't go there right away then the year after. 

After being drafted, defensemen often take a few years to make it to the NHL.  I believe, based on what I've heard, that he might be able to come into the NHL sooner than most d, but that will still take at least one year... if not two.

Archived