The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Which teams won the trades today?

Who won the trades?  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Someone explain Weber for Subban? WTF is that about.

And I knew Edmonton would be dealing away one of their first rounders but Hall of them all?  I guess they had to give up big to get a decent defenseman but we all know Larsson isn't worth what Hall is.

26 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Someone explain Weber for Subban? WTF is that about.

And I knew Edmonton would be dealing away one of their first rounders but Hall of them all?  I guess they had to give up big to get a decent defenseman but we all know Larsson isn't worth what Hall is.

I took a quick look at PK's and Weber's contracts and I think I see why Montreal does this. Weber is on a hugely front-loaded contract with no trade protection. So they get an elite d-man for reasonable cost in a couple of years and if he starts slowing down, they dump him to a cap floor team. Or he retires and Nashville takes the recapture hit. That's OK return for a guy they obviously didn't like anyway.

These were both good hockey trades that will probably work for all four teams.  The Weber/Subban one is very hard to judge.  Weber has a great shot, is solid defensively and is a beast physically.  Subban has a good shot, probably better aim, but not as hard.  He's not as good defensively or as physical.  Weber's a better player now, but age might be a factor over time.  While the Devils got the better player in the trade with Edmonton, Edmonton filled a desperate hole in their line up.  They have proven that you can't win consistently no matter how many good forwards you have if you don't have a solid group on the back line.  Hall is over paying I would think, but Edmonton still comes out a better team in the end.  It's not like they don't already have a zillion talented forwards with another one in the first round this time around.  I'd give the Devils the advantage on the trade overall, but it was needed for Edmonton.  I'd give Montreal the edge for next year, but some time in the future Nashville could come ahead.  edit to add: And for sure, the Edm/NJ deal proves that Vancouver got a hell of a deal on Gudbranson.

5 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Still don't know if hes human

4 hours ago, Apricot said:

No way he's human

Pretty sure there is a robot involved somehow. I mean, 17 arms, 4 keyboards, 8 monitors, and 5 computers??? The sideshow robot just delivers the parts when the computers break down so he can get the job done 10 seconds ahead of someone else. This is how you deliver a CDC "reporting cup"!

I'm ok with it...we often get correct news before the news even knowns. It's not even trade deadline day for crying out loud....

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe Hall was a real problem in the room, and if so, the morale will improve, so who knows. 

i think this point has been over looked in a big way for both of the deals ...

i dont think pk is a big team first guy either .

i won't be shocked if the Coilers  and the Habs  both make the playoffs next year , while the preds and devils are on the outside looking in .

dont be surprised if it goes down that way folks 

7 hours ago, Jam126 said:

Subban-Josi

^^^ This may be one of the best, if not the best current top pairing in the NHL.

That's what I was thinking. Two 60+ pt offensive D-men, Nashville is going to be incredibly dangerous on the back end (whether they play on a pairing or not). I don't know of any other team that has two extremely high scoring D-men like that, while still having solid D (I guess we'll see now that Weber left, but they seem like a well structured team).

1 hour ago, gizmo2337 said:

Somehow I voted against the grain? I thought both Canadian teams won!!!!

....because both traded away locker room cancers... 
I suppose it depends on evaluation criteria?

"Locker room cancers" are just speculation & the media fanning the flames a lot of the time.

The Oilers blundered this one. Hall is a first liner and point-per-game caliber if healthy for years to come. They got a 2nd pairing D in exchange. Ouch.

So what's their centre going to look like?

McDavid

Draisaitl

Nugent-Hopkins (why? he's not a 3rd liner).

Not sure why they traded away their second best player when they had Eberle and Hopkins to dangle. Heck, throw Yakupov in there.

41 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

i think this point has been over looked in a big way for both of the deals ...

i dont think pk is a big team first guy either .

i won't be shocked if the Coilers  and the Habs  both make the playoffs next year , while the preds and devils are on the outside looking in .

dont be surprised if it goes down that way folks 

I would have to agree that there must have been some behind the scenes issues with Hall and Pk's attitudes.

I recall during the Eakins era when the oil went on that long losing streak and there were rumblings about leadership, in particular Hall's, and the way he conducted himself during media interviews at the time. Did not seem like a leader, and considering he was the face of the franchise at that point, you could see what effect it had. This is now McDavids team and they will start fresh.

PK I had no idea about locker room issues till this past week after reports of in-fighting. They got a guy like Weber, Captain material and a true team first player for PK. In terms of this, MTL did much better in getting value for high-end talent. 

When trades that seem so lopsided like these ones are made, you have to think there are other considerations that fans/media do not see. 

1 minute ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

I would have to agree that there must have been some behind the scenes issues with Hall and Pk's attitudes.

I recall during the Eakins era when the oil went on that long losing streak and there were rumblings about leadership, in particular Hall's, and the way he conducted himself during media interviews at the time. Did not seem like a leader, and considering he was the face of the franchise at that point, you could see what effect it had. This is now McDavids team and they will start fresh.

PK I had no idea about locker room issues till this past week after reports of in-fighting. They got a guy like Weber, Captain material and a true team first player for PK. In terms of this, MTL did much better in getting value for high-end talent. 

When trades that seem so lopsided like these ones are made, you have to think there are other considerations that fans/media do not see. 

well said 

9 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

This is why the idea of a "scorched earth" rebuild is so flawed.

Hall was forced into a bad situation at a young age, carrying the weight of a franchise on his shoulders, expected to be Mr.everything for that team. Some guys just either aren't ready or aren't suited for that role. I have no doubt that affected him negatively, maybe even in the form of an inflated ego.

This is why it's crucial to have the right veteran leadership in place for these young guys so that they don't have to deal with so much early on. Edmonton gave him nobody to lean on or to deflect attention towards. That's a bad situation for any young kid.

I can only imagine how Matthews is going to be treated in Toronto. Looking at an 18 year old kid as a savior and looking to him for leadership might be too much for him. Hopefully for his sake, Babcock mentors him in that transition.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This is why the idea of a "scorched earth" rebuild is so flawed.

Hall was forced into a bad situation at a young age, carrying the weight of a franchise on his shoulders, expected to be Mr.everything for that team. Some guys just either aren't ready or aren't suited for that role. I have no doubt that affected him negatively, maybe even in the form of an inflated ego.

This is why it's crucial to have the right veteran leadership in place for these young guys so that they don't have to deal with so much early on. Edmonton gave him nobody to lean on or to deflect attention towards. That's a bad situation for any young kid.

I can only imagine how Matthews is going to be treated in Toronto. Looking at an 18 year old kid as a savior and looking to him for leadership might be too much for him. Hopefully for his sake, Babcock mentors him in that transition.

Edmonton had great veteran leadership when Hall came in.

gHooP3.jpg

But seriously, you're right. Some people are really, really good at hockey and top prospects, but not prepared at that age for the other responsibilities of leadership.

36 minutes ago, Moonshinefe said:

Edmonton had great veteran leadership when Hall came in.

gHooP3.jpg

But seriously, you're right. Some people are really, really good at hockey and top prospects, but not prepared at that age for the other responsibilities of leadership.

LMAO! Good point, they brought in this punk as a leader, and it showed. 

Both terrible trades for the Canadian teams. Good for the Canucks. Hall and mcdavid must not have gotten along and well, I don't think the Canadiens liked pk. 

How much did pk give that hospital? Nice gesture, not gonna be able to see it until road games though. Ouch

Archived