The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Which teams won the trades today?

Who won the trades?  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

I just got home and am catching up on all the news. I can hardly believe what I'm seeing.

I know that Hall is not a wonderful guy or teammate, but the Oilers have got to get a better return than what they did. Fleeced!

I can't remember the exact quote, but Chiarelli said some pretty negative stuff about Hall.  To paraphrase, he mentioned some players (Hall) have a real negative stigma attached to them, and the guy they traded for (Larson) doesn't.  It sounded to me a lot like when Gillis defended trading Cody.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I can't remember the exact quote, but Chiarelli said some pretty negative stuff about Hall.  To paraphrase, he mentioned some players (Hall) have a real negative stigma attached to them, and the guy they traded for (Larson) doesn't.  It sounded to me a lot like when Gillis defended trading Cody.  

This move might be very good for the Oilers, despite getting an underwelming 

return. 

Devils completely win. I'm surprised at the return Oilers got. Larrson is great defensively, but for Hall?  ehhhhhhhh

Can someone explain to me why Nashville wins in a landslide fashion? Weber is solid defensively and I don't see his game changing much unless he suffers from an injury. P.K is P.K; but I see him being easily exploited in the West

3 minutes ago, roland said:

Devils completely win. I'm surprised at the return Oilers got. Larrson is great defensively, but for Hall?  ehhhhhhhh

Can someone explain to me why Nashville wins in a landslide fashion? Weber is solid defensively and I don't see his game changing much unless he suffers from an injury. P.K is P.K; but I see him being easily exploited in the West

I think the biggest factor is the age of the two - Weber turns 31 next month, while PK is hitting his peak... t.  Weber is an awesome D man, but  how much longer can he keep up the high end performance?  3 years maybe?

5 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Market Value-wise: Devils and Predators.

Team Value-wise: Devils, Predators and Oilers.

Bergevin is an idiot.

Oilers lost because Larsson was in now way the best defensive player they could have gotten for Hall. They ether overvalued Larsson or didn't shop Hall around properly. 

Just now, Darius71 said:

I think the biggest factor is the age of the two - Weber turns 31 next month, while PK probably hasnt hit is peak yet.  Weber is an awesome D man, but  how much longer can he keep up the high end performance?  3 years maybe?

I think he'll last longer, but of course no way of knowing. Plenty of defensemen play excellent into their late 30's.

I'm rethinking the fairness of the Hall - Larson trade.  At first glance it looks like the Oilers lost.  Now that I've had several hours to review the trade and digest the information, it's pretty obvious the Oilers didn't lose...THE GOT A GOOD OLD FASHIONED REEMING.  :lol:. Love to hate the Oilers.

6 minutes ago, Baka said:

Oilers lost because Larsson was in now way the best defensive player they could have gotten for Hall. They ether overvalued Larsson or didn't shop Hall around properly. 

They know exactly what they're getting out of Larsson. A defensively sound YOUNG workhorse who will anchor their back end for years to come.

He had the MOST defensive zone starts in the league last year and the Devils didn't have one of their centers go above 50% in the dot in the D zone... except Jim O'Brien who played all of 4 games for them.

It's a stupid price to pay for him but Larsson is worth more to their team than Hall is. It'll show.

Maybe Hall was a real problem in the room, and if so, the morale will improve, so who knows. At first glance I think the Oilers really overpaid for Larsson.

Doesn't Weber have a contract until he's 40? I think Subban will be great for NSH.

8 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

They know exactly what they're getting out of Larsson. A defensively sound YOUNG workhorse who will anchor their back end for years to come.

He had the MOST defensive zone starts in the league last year and the Devils didn't have one of their centers go above 50% in the dot in the D zone... except Jim O'Brien who played all of 4 games for them.

It's a stupid price to pay for him but Larsson is worth more to their team than Hall is. It'll show.

I guess time will tell. You feel Larsson is an elite defenseman? I feel he is a good defenseman nothing more. Like many New Jersey defensemen he played in front of a strong goalie in a system that allowed few shots but also took few shots. 23rd in shots and 30th in shots taken. He know joins a team that gets off few shots and is under fire 5th most in the NHL. Hell Andy Greene was doing as much as Larsson.

Larsson certain has value to the Oilers though but it doesn't change the fact even if they traded for a Porsche they still gave up a house.

2 hours ago, combover said:

Nash and nj win by miles the habs and oil got fleeced like benning fleeced. 

Is "Benning fleeced" like some new term for a solid hockey trade? I dont get it, cause I dont think that fits this situation

2 hours ago, ThaManbeast said:

I'm with everyone on the Hall/Larsson trade being one sided in New Jerseys way. But, people are vastly underestimating how good Shea Weber is. There's a reason it was an easy choice for the Team Canada execs to choose Weber over Subban. Yes, Subban is younger, and yes he puts up more points. But, as a defenseman, Shea Weber is one of the best in the last decade. He'll be a solid player late into that contract.

He's also much older, on the decline signed for 10 years, Montreal is on the hook for his $8M signing bonus and he costs more.

The difference in his play from Subban is hard to justify considering all the other factors. 

Archived