The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you buy into what management is selling?

Canuckler87

On 10/07/2016 at 7:35 AM, PistolPete13 said:

One or more of those teams will not meet your lofty expectations. It's the nature of the beast. 

In particular, Calgary does not impress, even a little bit. The Jets have done it the "right" way for how many years now? And how many playoff rounds have they won? 

If I had a buck for every time that I've heard someone say that this will be the year that the Oilers are going to make the playoffs, then I'd be too busy spending my millions to post on this board.

Keep making these predictions and maybe this year you could be right. For sale of argument let's say the Oilers make the playoffs but get knocked off in six games by the Ducks.

For the Oilers that would be a huge success. If the Canucks did the same thing many would regard that as a huge failure.

You may want to believe that the Oilers are trending upward, but they will be losing guys like Eberle, RNH etc to free agency in the near future. Then trader Pete will pull off a few more blockbuster trades. Future success is far from guaranteed in the least desirable city in the NHL to play hockey in.

For me the trouble with Calgary is they rely too much on JH. They need someone with more than Monaghan/Tkchuk/Backlund can give them.

Imo and unfortunately, the Oilers will get there.

So will the Jets. They have been ABOUT to be a contender for a few years now and are one of my favourite teams.

13 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Did management sell picking in the top 6 a record number of times?

I think it was something about a “Competitive, Winning environment”.

Perhaps the opposite has transpired instead. 

They should have ....  Sometimes I wonder if they worry about selling what is actually needed to the public, they shouldn't.  No quick fixes, just rebuilding through the draft.  Retool was a mistake no doubt.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

They should have ....  Sometimes I wonder if they worry about selling what is actually needed to the public, they shouldn't.  No quick fixes, just rebuilding through the draft.  Retool was a mistake no doubt.

The severity of the Sedins decline had a lot to do with it. Did not expect it to head south so rapidly.

It is what it is...

Necro thread bumps by whiners who cry during a losing streak caused by an insane number of injuries and think management is responsible or that they are hockey geniuses with 'the plan' to win a cup (or bust).

Priceless nonsense, even for cdc.

I prefer the bandwagoners.  At least they don't think we can make the playoffs and win the draft lottery and sign all the best UFAs simultaneously.

This year started much better and could have been better.  But then we'd pull a Calgary and end up a tweener team.  There are a few teams to model yourself on these days: Pittsburg, Tampa, Winnipeg, Nashville and (I hate to say it) Toronto.  None of them is really the same, but they are all fast and skilled with a decent balance of tough durable players in the mix (who are still fast and skilled).  We are getting there.  Guys like Bo, Brock and Jake will be the way we go in the future.  Eriksson should have been our veteran that could still make a big impact, but somehow he hasn't turned into that guy.  Our defense is coming along, but losing Tryamkin hurt.  The prospect pipeline is what it's all about now and it's really gaining some momentum.  If you don't have the patience to wait out the next two years, maybe you should jump off the bandwagon and watch golf, another team, basketball or go to the gym.

If we don't make the playoffs in the next 3 years, Jim will be moved along and someone else will turn it around, but in the mean time, he does a better job during the draft than cdc prognosticators.  Hell, I wanted Cody Glass instead of Pettersson until I dug in to Pettersson for a couple hours on draft day.  A real steal, followed by another in round 2 with "why is nobody picking Kole Lind?"

If you are going to stick around, embrace the tank.  Sure, it only improves the odds of a top 3 pick by a few percent, but at least there's a silver lining and 4th pick may be a guarantee.  Just don't hang out and complain with the same old tired arguments in the vain hope that the 1000th time you post them everyone will magically agree with you.

2 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Necro thread bumps by whiners who cry during a losing streak caused by an insane number of injuries and think management is responsible or that they are hockey geniuses with 'the plan' to win a cup (or bust).

I prefer the bandwagoners.  At least they don't think we can make the playoffs and win the draft lottery and sign all the best UFAs simultaneously.

This year started much better and could have been better.  But then we'd pull a Calgary and end up a tweener team.  There are a few teams to model yourself on these days: Pittsburg, Tampa, Winnipeg, Nashville and (I hate to say it) Toronto.  None of them is really the same, but they are all fast and skilled with a decent balance of tough durable players in the mix (who are still fast and skilled).  We are getting there.  Guys like Bo, Brock and Jake will be the way we go in the future.  Eriksson should have been our veteran that could still make a big impact, but somehow he hasn't turned into that guy.  Our defense is coming along, but losing Tryamkin hurt.  The prospect pipeline is what it's all about now and it's really gaining some momentum.  If you don't have the patience to wait out the next two years, maybe you should jump off the bandwagon and watch golf, another team, basketball or go to the gym.

If we don't make the playoffs in the next 3 years, Jim will be moved along and someone else will turn it around, but in the mean time, he does a better job during the draft than cdc prognosticators.  Hell, I wanted Cody Glass instead of Pettersson until I dug in to Pettersson for a couple hours on draft day.  A real steal, followed by another in round 2 with "why is nobody picking Kole Lind?"

If you are going to stick around, embrace the tank.  Sure, it only improves the odds of a top 3 pick by a few percent, but at least there's a silver lining and 4th pick may be a guarantee.  Just don't hang out and complain with the same old tired arguments in the vain hope that the 1000th time you post them everyone will magically agree with you.

Hate the idea we have to model our self on other teams... It makes us chase our own tail... 

The best example was after 2011, we all thought we got beaten because the big bad Bruins were stronger than us... We were by far the better team, and sometimes the better team just doesn't win, for what ever reason, ours being injuries.

Last year Preds lost Ryan Johansen against the Ducks, and that had a massive input in how the finals went.

Just get some good players by draft or otherwise, and see if they fit as a team. If not, make some trades and try to get lucky. 

I do agree, that our defence took a massive hit when Tryamkin left for the KHL. 

It will a few more years before we become relevant again, but I am happy we got JB drafting for us, as I think he is laying the foundation to something big here.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

The excitement and fan-commitment likely rests on the hopes of the many Tank results, and not SlimJim’s efforts otherwise. 

I think I’ve repeated myself enough on here to make sure there are enough posts on here which hold SlimJim accountable, that there is a balance between blind faith, optimism and accidental Tank results.

To point at SlimJim and the prospect pool and clap, well, is that really such a difficult managerial marvel to be impressed by; could Maggie The Monkey, acting GM, have also Tanked here and would we have as much worshipping of false Billy Idols still? Best gig in hockey. 

I don’t plan on bringing it up anymore, even while SlimJim are getting credit for an expensive and drawn-out Tank/Re-Thingy by casual observers. I’m with Ferraro on this one. 

39 minutes ago, spook007 said:

The severity of the Sedins decline had a lot to do with it. Did not expect it to head south so rapidly.

It is what it is...

Several of us, the Minus Magnets on here, forecasted an expensive, roster-limiting Supernova.

The Sedins are actually playing better than I thought they might, in a contract year, no less. I think that irritates me even more, knowing that they are battling harder than ever it seems, and for what? Reputation? An extension/money? Leadership?

Where was this style of play, minus the lack of foot speed part, years ago? Looks to me like the Sedins waited until 11:59 to show the kids that they still had more to give. That's not leadership. That’s something entirely different, IMO. 

49 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

You’re not new here. 

Do you remember what the Tank concept was met with on here???

Do you see what that looks like today?

Quite the migration. 

The herd has now fully migrated into the mentally-green pastures of Tanklandia, where picking high is more a strategy/purposeful than accidental tanking.

The only thing left for Tanktards to celebrate is the pending trades of Tavev, etc. Things are going near-perfectly for Team Tank. 

Judging by the images, spirit and content of GDT threads and posts, posters here have embraced the Tank, which is to say that, yes, posters now do agree with what was said in vain on here, a 1000 times, as you put it. It wasn’t always this way, as you should know. 

Ideas and opinions once mocked, minused and openly ridiculed on here have seen a culture change. Why not bump those threads? Why not revisit those predictions and posts? Why not look in the mirror once in a while? 

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Hate the idea we have to model our self on other teams... It makes us chase our own tail... 

The best example was after 2011, we all thought we got beaten because the big bad Bruins were stronger than us... We were by far the better team, and sometimes the better team just doesn't win, for what ever reason, ours being injuries.

Last year Preds lost Ryan Johansen against the Ducks, and that had a massive input in how the finals went.

Just get some good players by draft or otherwise, and see if they fit as a team. If not, make some trades and try to get lucky. 

I do agree, that our defence took a massive hit when Tryamkin left for the KHL. 

It will a few more years before we become relevant again, but I am happy we got JB drafting for us, as I think he is laying the foundation to something big here.

The 2011 team was not built for the playoffs, where there are no whistles.

Let’s never forget that, going forward with roster design. 

The Canucks D is bad. Tree wasn’t even a great Dman and on a decent D corps would be a 3rd pairing guy, at best. He was replaceable and it’s not as if he was Chara or something. I agree with you about how it will be a while before this D core is relevant again. 

It’s not awful or garbage, but it does nothing well and until whatever is drafted this year is making an impact, I expect this to continue. The Canucks D have played a big part of the Tanking process, IMO. 

Edit:

Hence why I hope JB mostly drafts Dmen this year. 

55 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The excitement and fan-commitment likely rests on the hopes of the many Tank results, and not SlimJim’s efforts otherwise. 

I think I’ve repeated myself enough on here to make sure there are enough posts on here, which hold SlimJim accountable, that there is a balance between blind faith, optimism and accidental Tank results.

To point at SlimJim and the prospect pool and clap, well, is that really such a difficult managerial marvel to be impressed by; could Maggie The Monkey, acting GM, have also Tanked here and would we have as much worshipping of false Billy Idols still? Best gig in hockey. 

I don’t plan on bringing it up anymore, even while SlimJim are getting credit for an expensive and drawn-out Tank/Re-Thingy by casual observers. I’m with Ferraro on this one. 

There is nothing wrong with calling it like it is.  I mentioned a week ago that it's impossible to tell if management actually believed they would be competitive by adding depth place holders, and going with our goalies, or if it was all just a masterful stroke of stealth tanking.  Benning has a good poker face when they pan to him during a game we are losing, but Linden looks like he's taking it a little personally (all the losing.)

For me the moment he goes with a very good NHL goalie, like Miller, to back-up Demko or vice versa, that's when hes planning to guide us out of tank mode.   I'd don't think he will do it next year, nor should he with Hughes as the prize.  Signing the Sedins?  Not sure that will help either.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The Sedins are actually playing better than I thought they might, in a contract year, no less. I think that irritates me even more, knowing that they are battling harder than ever it seems, and for what? Reputation? An extension/money? Leadership?

I'm not totally surprised. 

There could be several reasons.

1) Players have ups and downs.  Perhaps this is a slightly up year.  Can't always be 100% consistent.

2) Perhaps they realize this is their last year so they might as well leave everything on the ice.

3) Maybe they are working better with their linemates.  They played some with Vanek, who was also having a good year.

4) Perhaps they are playing due to their loyalty to the only club they've been on, and figure if they are going to pass the torch to a new team they want to try to "show them how it's done".

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The Canucks D is bad. Tree wasn’t even a great Dman and on a decent D corps would be a 3rd pairing guy, at best. He was replaceable and it’s not as if he was Chara or something. I agree with you about how it will be a while before this D core is relevant again. 

It’s not awful or garbage, but it does nothing well and until whatever is drafted this year is making an impact, I expect this to continue. The Canucks D have played a big part of the Tanking process, IMO. 

Edit:

I'm not so sold on the argument, that the team wasn't built for the play offs.

Agree at the moment we are drowning in smurfs, but think that we did have strength in that team. Torres, Rome, Alberts, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Malhotra, LaPierre, Kessler and even Burrows and Hansen could stand thir ground.

What we didn't have was somebody, who could drop the mits and slap ratface and Lucic around. We had lots of injuries, but I thought the day Sedin got bitch slapped by ratface without retaliation was the end.... 

However I still also believe we need bigger players than we have now...

PS. Tryamkin may have been a 3rd pairing, but not only has he got the potential to become more than that, but he also have some of the size, we are screaming out for. 

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I'm not totally surprised. 

There could be several reasons.

1) Players have ups and downs.  Perhaps this is a slightly up year.  Can't always be 100% consistent.

2) Perhaps they realize this is their last year so they might as well leave everything on the ice.

3) Maybe they are working better with their linemates.  They played some with Vanek, who was also having a good year.

4) Perhaps they are playing due to their loyalty to the only club they've been on, and figure if they are going to pass the torch to a new team they want to try to "show them how it's done".

Nobody that follows this team can question their loyalty and devotion to fitness, being a consummate professional etc.  I think they did better this year to a large degree because of better usage by Green, match ups, an improved PP (thank you Boeser/Vanek).  They have both lost foot speed, otherwise it would be hard to tell when the ideal time is to pack it in.

Im not worried about it being a contract year.  Thornton and Marleau both got huge contracts given their age, it's difficult to tell what value the team will determine is fair.  Anywhere from 3-5.5 million is my guess, they've done enough to earn that, it would also be great if they didn't push the NMC, and agreed to a limited NTC with perhaps 8-10 teams, then it's possible we could add picks next TDL.

We could also just go with the kids.  NJ played six rookies this year, and most of us are familiar with TO doing the same two years ago.

Either way, unless we pick up a true first string goalie, that can post a .920 or better SP, and draft number one defenseman who can step right in and take over Edlers spot next year we bound for basement dwelling again.  Which is ok, exactly what we need....

Its possible we push for either OEL or Karlsson next year too.  Especially if we draft Dahlin.  The soul of the next core will likely be determined this draft, odds are high we are looking at three consecutive cores with a heavy European influence.   Horvat is boss though.  Or at least he should be IMO.

Draft day is going to epic this year.  One of the most impactful ever.   We have good odds of drafting a true number one defenseman. 

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Edit:

I think that’s a very good assessment. I think Tanev and Gudbranson I’d have on my second pairing. Del zotto/Trymakin as my 6/7. But everything else back their needs an overhaul. Hopefully Demko is ready in the next couple of years because our goaltending has been weak. 

This draft we need to pick up either Dahlin or Bouchard and hope that Joulevi can be as good as what most here figure he is.

9 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

If you don't have the patience to wait out the next two years, maybe you should jump off the bandwagon and watch golf, another team, basketball or go to the gym.

What you are missing here is that it has already been three (almost four) years since TL&JB took over. The on-ice product is worse despite they claiming that a "turnaround will be quick" and that we will "be competitive" every season. So what you are really saying is be patient for at least 5 (6) years or screw off. I think that is unreasonable, and that it will be even more than 5 (6) years until this team is competitive (not all prospects will shine, still no defense hope). Add in that I have been waiting since June 2011 for a rebuild and still haven't seen it. I know that has nothing to do with this current management group, but it adds context to the criticism of impatience. I don't hate TL&JB, but it is apparent that they are not being effective. I don't see how that can be denied (and no, claiming our current prospect pool as proof of a good job doesn't cut it...those players have proved nothing yet).

Furthermore...band-wagoners?! Do really believe that there are any band wagoners left on this board right now after three dismal seasons? Do you even know what that term means? I have been a fanatic of this team since 1974, through thick and thin. I have every right to be dissatisfied with the current on-ice product, seeming lack of strategy this mgmt group displays, and our meager relative number of good prospects and future draft picks.

I will still be here in two years after it has been bad even longer. Will you?

11 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

Jake?

HE may be a high pick, but sticking him with Bo and Brock is laughable.

Virtanen is a huge bust and just because he brings effort....well Brandon Reid brought effort and never scored too. How did he do?

He has A LOT to prove. As of now it looks like the best case scenario is Kassian for Jake...unless he finally ya know..scores sometime.

I also find it hilarious you attribute this bump to WHINERS during losing streaks....because of injuries.

Uh, no. This wasn't just a losing streak, this was a SHUTOUT streak that almost reached four games.

And it happened similarly last year, and if we hadn't beaten the pathetic Blackhawks who just lost to the Sabres and got blown out the game before that too, to the Jets we'd be a point off DEAD last. 31st.

And a bottom 5 finish for the third straight year. And oh because of injuries. I heard that the last two years. Injuries.

The "LETS BE POSITIVE" people are even worse then the "Bandwaggoners."

At least the so called banwagonners can be realistic.

Tell me, where is Boston, Toronto and WInnipeg? There injuries are FAR, FAR worse then ours. Bergeron, McAvoy, Debrusk, Matthews, (until todayu) Anderson, Zaitsev, Laine, Schiefele, that D is always crippled.

The Ducks spent the first 2 months of this year with Derek Grant as there top center. Fowler, Gibson, Eaves, Kase, among Getzlaf and Kesler were all out at the same time.

All these teams I just mentioned had worse injuries then us, and not only did they survive, they're all going to make the playoffs.

We are not only missing, but missing in the most dramatic of fashions.

And IM SORRY IF were getting SICK OF IT.

Maybe we could BUY this rebuild a little more if we weren't re-signing GURBANSON to a 3 year 12 million deal for doing nothing, even CONSIDERING re-signing the SEDINS (Or Signing Eriksson, Gagne).and using injuries as an excuse..every...single...year. It's a narrative I find as pathetic as the "WE HUNG WITH THE BEST OF THE LEAGUE WHEN WE WERE HEALTHY"....WOW we went 6-3-1 in the first month of the year, which is the easiest month to win in. WIth teams not adjusted to the season, system, taking teams lightly, etc.

Also when we HUNG with the best of them when we were healthy, why does that count when we played teams with players hurt? Like when we dominated the Kings earlier in the year. Yeah we were healthy but Jeff Carter was hurt. I believe DOughty missed that game too. Why does that not count? Why the double standard. Why is it always that the media and fans make excuses for OUR team when we have players hurt but it's never a reason if we BEAT a team with injuries.

Quit being in denial and LOOK at the issue straight in the FACE. WE SUCK.

We will only STOP SUCKING, WHEN WE CHANGE THINGS.  

12 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

I keep hearing people blame injuries for our god-awful season(s).  That's utterly ridiculous!  Injuries had only a minor effect.  We lose a lot - because we are a very bad team.  Our management has assembled a horrible team filled with players who shouldn't even be in the NHL.

CA did a post about it today, where they looked at our shot stats with and without our injured players.  Here are the highlights:

...the idea that injuries have anything to do with where this team is in the standings is ridiculous. I covered this already back in December, but this team has been playing at its natural level since early November. And that level is about 46% of shot attempts and expected goals at 5-on-5

... injuries have had little impact on the underlying performance. Sure there have been some minor fluctuations, and the expected goals drop has come down with the loss of Boeser and Baertschi, but they’re down to the same 46% level they’ve been at most of the season even with those two in the lineup. Where you can really see that the Canucks are missing those two is on the powerplay, but in terms of team performance as a whole, injuries have little to do with where they find themselves.

He doesn't mention it, but we also had an extremely-easy first couple months.  Before the season even started, I warned you guys that we'd be doing somewhat well early on, and then be awful by the end.  The NHL schedule-maker went easy on us (he probably didn't want us eliminated from the playoffs in November).   Of course, we started getting injured at right about the time our schedule started getting harder, so everyone blamed the injuries, not the schedule where the blame really deserved to be placed.

Archived