The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sutter to RW?

The Brindy Gypsy

Sutter to RW  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's important to have depth at center. I think he could go with the Sedins at times, but only to allow Eriksson to drop to Horvat's line against teams that need a good forecheck to beat. Hansen does that role just fine. 

Recap of what Benning and Willie have said

• WD last week: Sutter will be C2 with Hansen - he was specifically asked about Horvat in the top-6 and said no.  At LW (Baertschi is out re Benning below) it leaves Dorsett, Rodin, Virtanen, Etem or that UFA.  Audio here:  https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmnhl/canucks-head-coach-willie-desjardins-was-on-the-power-play-w-stevekouleas-and-thegoldenmuzzy
  • This week - Benning wants an LW2 to take pressure off Baertschi.  See Kuzma's article in the Province.

• Btw Hansen will not be traded to get that LW2.   (same article)

• WD on Horvat after the Colorado game on 16 March:  "I think it's better for him.  I think we took him away a bit from his game when we played him with Baertschi and Vrbata but we needed to because we were looking for ways to score.  But he's better when he plays with defensive guys, he shuts guys down and then works off transition."

• WD quote in the Horvat thread posted Tuesday (was at the end of the season) - he sees Horvat in a defensive role for now.

• Says Granlund is a good offensive player (re audio above)

• Baertschi and Horvat stopped playing together as from 1 March.  They only played together a handful of games when Granlund was out on injury.  Baertschi also played a couple of games with Vey as his C during Granlund's injury.  

Throw that all together and I get

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

UFA Sutter Hansen

Burrows Horvat Dorsett

Baertschi Granlund Rodin

33 minutes ago, mll said:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

UFA Sutter Hansen

Burrows Horvat Dorsett

Baertschi Granlund Rodin

Basically. 

Hopefully Benning somehow gets Landeskog. Would fit in that line up well. 

6 hours ago, mll said:

• WD last week: Sutter will be C2 with Hansen - he was specifically asked about Horvat in the top-6 and said no.  At LW (Baertschi is out re Benning below) it leaves Dorsett, Rodin, Virtanen, Etem or that UFA.  Audio here:  https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmnhl/canucks-head-coach-willie-desjardins-was-on-the-power-play-w-stevekouleas-and-thegoldenmuzzy
  • This week - Benning wants an LW2 to take pressure off Baertschi.  See Kuzma's article in the Province.

• WD on Horvat after the Colorado game on 16 March:  "I think it's better for him.  I think we took him away a bit from his game when we played him with Baertschi and Vrbata but we needed to because we were looking for ways to score.  But he's better when he plays with defensive guys, he shuts guys down and then works off transition."

• WD quote in the Horvat thread posted Tuesday (was at the end of the season) - he sees Horvat in a defensive role for now.

• Baertschi and Horvat stopped playing together as from 1 March.  They only played together a handful of games when Granlund was out on injury.  Baertschi also played a couple of games with Vey as his C during Granlund's injury.  

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

UFA Sutter Hansen

Burrows Horvat Dorsett

Baertschi Granlund Rodin

I actually think Rodin will have chemistry with Sutter. Both are transition players and create chances off the rush.

Sedin       Sedin       Eriksson

Rodin       Sutter      Hansen

Burrows   Horvat      

Baer        Granlund  Dorsett

Big responsibility for a guy who's never played an NHL game but, to me, it looks like it could be a natural fit.

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

I actually think Rodin will have chemistry with Sutter. Both are transition players and create chances off the rush.

Sedin       Sedin       Eriksson

Rodin       Sutter      Hansen

Burrows   Horvat      

Baer        Granlund  Dorsett

Big responsibility for a guy who's never played an NHL game but, to me, it looks like it could be a natural fit.

They are not going to play Baertschi with Dorsett - he needs a goal scorer on his line.  His line is going to be an offensive line.  Also they are looking for a gritty forward to play LW2 - that's not Rodin.

19 hours ago, mll said:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

UFA Sutter Hansen

Burrows Horvat Dorsett

Baertschi Granlund Rodin

Hansen is not top 6. He was put there due to injuries BUT BO is at least a top 6 with what we have in our depth chart. Baert is an offensive player and is not a 4th liner. WD likes to spread his lines out but it has not worked out in the past. We need to score goals and I would rather have 2 good scoring lines than 4 weaker lines that cannot. Burrows ,Dorsett and Hansen are our checkers and need to lead the 3rd and 4th lines. 

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Hansen is not top 6. He was put there due to injuries BUT BO is at least a top 6 with what we have in our depth chart. Baert is an offensive player and is not a 4th liner. WD likes to spread his lines out but it has not worked out in the past. We need to score goals and I would rather have 2 good scoring lines than 4 weaker lines that cannot. Burrows ,Dorsett and Hansen are our checkers and need to lead the 3rd and 4th lines. 

If Willie D says Bo should not be in the top six and Louie will start with the twins, then our centers are set until injury or losing streak; Henrik, Sutter , Bo. Granlund . After that its who shows up early, off season training , mind set and luck. It is a bit exciting when you have a group of young players because any one of them could have a break out year. We haven't seen Rodin and Burrows could have a comeback year with a pesky defensive style. How is Rodin on D ?

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Hartnell/Kane/who knows-Sutter-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Burrows

Rodin-Granlund- Etem/Virtanen/Dorsett

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Exactly my point with this debate. 2 legit stacked lines (with what we have) versus 4 spread out lines. Its not like we would have a $&!#ty 3rd line by doing this either... Baertschi Granlund Rodin/Virtanen/Burrows would be just fine as a 3rd and allow us to play our top six alot. 

8 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Did you listen to the audio? 

I've tried to relay what they said and provided the links so that you can verify for yourself.  WD specifically says the 2nd line is Sutter-Hansen and that Horvat will not be in the top-6.

With the information they have shared - what's your conclusion?  I don't see how it else it shapes up.

I also think he is serious in his comments on Baertschi and Horvat and that they are unlikely to play together for now. 

3 hours ago, mll said:

Did you listen to the audio? 

I've tried to relay what they said and provided the links so that you can verify for yourself.  WD specifically says the 2nd line is Sutter-Hansen and that Horvat will not be in the top-6.

With the information they have shared - what's your conclusion?  I don't see how it else it shapes up.

I also think he is serious in his comments on Baertschi and Horvat and that they are unlikely to play together for now. 

No I was responding to YOUR post. I know what WD thinks and I responded to that in  which I said he likes to spread his lines out and that it has not worked in the past. Any fool can see BO and Baert have much more offensive upside then Hansen.

WD was the same guy that played Weber on a regular basis as well so I don't have too much confidence in his abilities so far. :lol:

On 7/15/2016 at 1:03 AM, mll said:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

UFA Sutter Hansen

Burrows Horvat Dorsett

Baertschi Granlund Rodin

Bo's bread and butter has always been his defensive acumen, but he also has some offensive upside.  I can understand that the Canucks (WD) wants him to continue to develop his defensive game; especially after his unfortunate +/- record last year.

It will be hard to see Horvat on the 3rd line with those teammates, as there won't be much in the way of offence there.  Just a grinding shut down line.

That 4th line will be the softest in the NHL.  Hopefully their speed and skill saves them from getting pasted to the boards.

Luckily, the lines on a team rarely stay the same all season.  It will be interesting to see what things look like in the 2nd half.

7 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

We dont have enough depth at ctr to even think about moving sutter to rw. But while were talkin about it, how about tryamkin in net! Big guy would cover most of the net?

You don't think Granlund can be a 3C? How about Rodin? Guys are more than capable of playing 14 minutes a night

5 hours ago, Progressive Hockey said:

You don't think Granlund can be a 3C? How about Rodin? Guys are more than capable of playing 14 minutes a night

No i dont, i think granlund would be a good 4th line ctr for next season. You really think this team has enough depth at ctr to convert sutter into a winger? Not even close! And rodin as a ctr??:huh:

16 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

No i dont, i think granlund would be a good 4th line ctr for next season. You really think this team has enough depth at ctr to convert sutter into a winger? Not even close! And rodin as a ctr??:huh:

I think if Willie spreads out 4 lines of mediocrity that sputters to create offence again, its worth looking at stacking a top six and playing them heavily

52 minutes ago, Progressive Hockey said:

I think if Willie spreads out 4 lines of mediocrity that sputters to create offence again, its worth looking at stacking a top six and playing them heavily

Yea lets crash and burn our top 6, we saw how that worked out with torts. Dont wanna see that movie again...

7 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Yea lets crash and burn our top 6, we saw how that worked out with torts. Dont wanna see that movie again...

So you would rather watch a sequel to last season? Im not saying over play them all season and burn them out, just periodically to create offence if need be. 

PS players like ice time, they are big boys they can handle it

Just now, Progressive Hockey said:

So you would rather watch a sequel to last season? Im not saying over play them all season and burn them out, just periodically to create offence if need be. 

PS players like ice time, they are big boys they can handle it

I dont wanna sound like i can coach the team, im sure the coaching staff knows best but i hear ya. Rolling 4 lines would be ideal but we'll see how the roster looks at training camp.

Archived