The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sutter to RW?

The Brindy Gypsy

Sutter to RW  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Progressive Hockey said:

That's kind of the point of this thread, look who Horvat's line mates were last season. It's not that he can't play second line minutes, he needs help from his wingers defensively and production wise. Sutter would be a great candidate for that. I love Virt and Baer but that's a lot on Bo, also Vrbata mailed it in. Sutter taking the draws on his strong side, and helping in the D zone would help Bo.

Yeah, I can see that argument, but I see more cons to this than pros.
Front loading two lines weakens bottom 6, We lose a number of faceoffs Sutter could be taking when we are already a pretty weak faceoff team, Horvat unproven as a top 6 minute player at this stage, leaves a hole down the middle. I just don't see potential gains being worth the negatives.

33 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Yeah, I can see that argument, but I see more cons to this than pros.
Front loading two lines weakens bottom 6, We lose a number of faceoffs Sutter could be taking when we are already a pretty weak faceoff team, Horvat unproven as a top 6 minute player at this stage, leaves a hole down the middle. I just don't see potential gains being worth the negatives.

You have no faith in Granlund as a 3rd line C? I understand the flip side to this, I just think we have enough 3rd line type players in Rodin, Granlund, Etem, Burrows, Virtanen, Hansen, Baertschi... We can afford to stack a legitamite top 6 with Sutter and Bo, and still ice a competitive 3rd line where guys like Hansen and Baertschi should be on a good team. 

This team sorely missed Sutter last season.  Bo was forced into a role he wasn't quite ready for.  Eventually Bo will be a second line centre...but for now Having Brandon Sutter is to insulate Bo.

We are a better team with Sutter as a centre than any other position.  We lineup against other teams a lot better him at centre too.

Teams now a days have more than one scoring line threat. Having Brandon and Bo as a one two punch down the middle frees up the Sedins for for better offensive lineups, and gives us the ability to counter with two sound defensive centres.

1 minute ago, Progressive Hockey said:

Im assuming because it benefits Granlund?!

Hah seriously though I think he will be a good 3C 

No actually! But that could be an added benefit. I am convinced he's a lock for 4C anyway.

I am curious to see the type of chemistry Bo and Suttsy could develop. Brandon looked "real good" on the wing with the Sedins (who doesn't though, amirite), and the idea of two solid scoring lines is enticing. But it would kind of deplete our bottom six, assuming the other guys don't develop further. I think it's worth a try though. 

I love Sutter, throw him on any line and I'll be happy, tbh.

5 hours ago, Nex is my ex said:

Sutter is great on the faceoff dot (which we were so bad at last year) and he is a natural center, there's no reason to move him to the wing.

Yep, and he's the only right hand centre the Canucks have got.  Sedin, Horvat, Granlund, Zalewski, even Gaunce are all lefties.  Sutter in the lineup makes all other centres better at face offs because they don't need to take weak side face offs.  This helps team possession.

Plus, I still think Sutter starts the season as the 2C which puts Horvat in a better position to succeed.

Then there's the role a Sutter line would fill.  Benning brought him in to match up against other teams top centres.  The big guys from the west.  This also takes a burden off the Sedins.  They are better with Sutter as 2C.

The whole team is better with Sutter at 2C.

If any centre moves to the wing it's going to be Granlund imo.  I wouldn't be surprised if Willie plays match up with his 4C.  Granlund v. skating teams (Hawks, Pens etc) and Zalewski against the heavier teams (Blues, Kings, Sharks etc)

Depth down the middle is key. Winning face offs and keeping possession has been shown to be very important. Sutter is one of our better players in that department, so it makes more sense to keep him at center. Just balance out the minutes for the 2nd and 3rd lines.

I wouldn't mind seeing Sutter on the PP. Sutter adds a second center man for whichever side the draw is and if Henrik is waved out. Sutter would be the guy that crashes the net and Eriksson could play a point possibly.

17 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Depth down the middle is key. Winning face offs and keeping possession has been shown to be very important. Sutter is one of our better players in that department, so it makes more sense to keep him at center. Just balance out the minutes for the 2nd and 3rd lines.

I wouldn't mind seeing Sutter on the PP. Sutter adds a second center man for whichever side the draw is and if Henrik is waved out. Sutter would be the guy that crashes the net and Eriksson could play a point possibly.

It's good to know we have some options. 

The only real reason at this point would've been if we had signed Adam Cracknell or some other FA centre. But Dallas took him. 

I was so excited when the Canucks were reportedly interested in bringing him back. T-T 

EDIT: Realized we got Jayson Megna. If we potentially want to try it out, it is a possiblity; however, I would rather have Horvat develop on the 3rd line than be put in a position he may not be ready for just yet, if last year was any indication.

I also suggested this idea in another forum but I suggested having Sutter on the top line and Erickson on the second with Bo and Baert. This gives a more legit top 6 than we have had in a long time. I don't think it weakens the bottom lines as we can still utilize veterans such as Dorsett,Burrows and Hansen to go with some of the younger players. Bo has grown in leaps and bounds and I think he would be more ready this year than last at taking second line minutes. Besides, he did show a lot of chemistry with Baert last year and Erickson should compliment this line. I think it is at least worth a try early in the season to see how it pans out or at least until we encounter any injuries.

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

This team sorely missed Sutter last season.  Bo was forced into a role he wasn't quite ready for.  Eventually Bo will be a second line centre...but for now Having Brandon Sutter is to insulate Bo.

We are a better team with Sutter as a centre than any other position.  We lineup against other teams a lot better him at centre too.

Teams now a days have more than one scoring line threat. Having Brandon and Bo as a one two punch down the middle frees up the Sedins for for better offensive lineups, and gives us the ability to counter with two sound defensive centres.

Yep.  Think of how much Kesler developed offensively once we got Malhotra and he didn't have to shut down the other team's top players every night.

5 hours ago, Monteeun said:

With the signing of Eriksson, we have some options on center for our remaining lines. I guess Sutter will be ok on the second line with Horvat on the third. 

Maybe...

Sedin Sedin Erik

Etem Sutter Rodin

Sven Horvat Virt?

Dorsett Granny Gaunce/Burr/Hansen

You think Hanson is a 4th liner ? :(

10 hours ago, Progressive Hockey said:

It's no secret Canucks need some production from the wing & JB has openly stated this. What about promoting from within? What do you think about the idea of converting Sutter to RW to play him with Bo on our second line?

My reasons for this:

- It gives Horvat & Sutter more ice time as BOTH are in a top 6 role instead of just one of them

- Allows Granlund more of an opportunity as a 3C to develop and play in some Offensive situations instead of being buried on 4th line

- Sutter can help take the burden of producing off younger wingers like Virt, Baer, Boesser, while they develop 

- Both are two way guys and D responsible which makes the LW spot on their line interchangable. Rodin, Baertschi, even Etem or Burr

- Both guys use their speed in a north south manor and would be fun to watch creating off the rush via transition

2nd line Baertschi Horvat Sutter= dangerous off the rush, quick transition 

3rd line Rodin Granlund Hansen= puck pursuit, nice blend of speed and skill for a 3rd line

Is this an attractive middle 6? Or do you think Sutter is more important as a C? I think it definately adds to our team speed and skill, and would be more fun to watch than last years middle six combos 

I can see Willie trying out this combo if the team struggles early on. He will get desperate and try anything that might work. To start I see Bo and Sutter as a 1a and 1b second lines. 

I actually really like the idea of Sutter as RW.  It is tough to build line with a center that doesn't pass well.  He is a high quality player, but he lacks vision.  I think he was great with the Sedin's to start the season.  I don't know if anyone noticed, but we were one of the top faceoff teams in the league in the first month because of him playing on the top line.  Henrik being a lefty and Sutter a righty helped with matchups.  It also didn't matter if one got waived out.  The Sedin's game is all about possesion, so starting with puck is crucial.  They rarely give it up after they get it in the offensive zone.

Sedin Sedin Sutter

Baertschi Granlund Eriksson

Etem Horvat Hansen

Burrows Gaunce Dorsett

Wille doesn't want Horvat to play with Baertschi, and he wants him to just focus on being a shut down guy for now.  I think there is so much speed on a Etem Horvat Hansen line and fiestiness that it will make it incredibly hard to play against.

Granlund isn't good enough for the two right now, but hey we wouldn't have too much of a choice then.  I like his game and maybe he becomes good enough.  I think him Baertschi are good together.  A lot of chemistry between those two.  Eriksson gives them a finisher around the net and smart two way player.

The 4th line is bad, and if Rodin makes the team then this whole plan goes out the window.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Baertschi Sutter Rodin

Etem Horvat Hansen

Granlund Gaunce Burrows/Dorsett

Two playmaking wingers for Sutter makes his lack of passing not a huge issue.  He is physical enough, great at faceoffs and excellent defensively.  Wouldn't be a bad fit if Rodin makes the team.

Archived