The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sutter to RW?

The Brindy Gypsy

Sutter to RW  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's no secret Canucks need some production from the wing & JB has openly stated this. What about promoting from within? What do you think about the idea of converting Sutter to RW to play him with Bo on our second line?

My reasons for this:

- It gives Horvat & Sutter more ice time as BOTH are in a top 6 role instead of just one of them

- Allows Granlund more of an opportunity as a 3C to develop and play in some Offensive situations instead of being buried on 4th line

- Sutter can help take the burden of producing off younger wingers like Virt, Baer, Boesser, while they develop 

- Both are two way guys and D responsible which makes the LW spot on their line interchangable. Rodin, Baertschi, even Etem or Burr

- Both guys use their speed in a north south manor and would be fun to watch creating off the rush via transition

2nd line Baertschi Horvat Sutter= dangerous off the rush, quick transition 

3rd line Rodin Granlund Hansen= puck pursuit, nice blend of speed and skill for a 3rd line

Is this an attractive middle 6? Or do you think Sutter is more important as a C? I think it definately adds to our team speed and skill, and would be more fun to watch than last years middle six combos 

As much as I love Horvat, he's not entirely ready to carry the load as a full time 2nd liner playing against the bests, night-in, night out.

I think Horvat and Sutter will be sort of 2A and 2B this year and scoring/ice-time will be balanced between our 2nd and 3rd line.

But as I said before, Eriksson should have been signed to play on the 2nd line to spread the scoring.  In that case I wouldn't mind seeing Sutter with the twins again, but not going to happen.

I'm going to go with no as well.  Its a great idea to promote production, but I have other feelings about that.

1.  Horvat running the 3rd reduces his need to play shutdown, and opens up scoring opportunities.  He and Baertschi have shown chemistry, and Etem might showing some flair playing with them on the right side.

2. Sutter running the 2nd with Hansen and a gritty LW (not sure who yet) will create speed, and decent checking, giving the top lines of other teams fits.  I honestly feel that would be more like a 2a 2b setup.

We would still need to piece together a 4th line, but I'd wager it would start with Dorsett, Granlund, and maybe Burrows slots there or on the second with Sutter depending on how he's kept up over the summer.

27 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Unless Horvat comes into camp like a beast and WD has no other choice but to play him as a 2nd line C, I'd say no.  You make a good point about Granlund, but I believe that whatever the line Granlund centers, if they are playing well WD will get them ice time.  I'm pretty sure he is a big advocate of spreading out ice time to keep guys fresh and performing at their best

Yeah, I just think Granlund should be playing with guys like Rodin, Hansen or Baertschi, not Dorsett and Etem

He's pretty decent on the faceoff though, so I think we will ultimately see him center on the 3rd line, as well as extensively used for faceoffs in our own end.  Especially once Horvat will come out clearly the better offensive player, and will warrant more ice time as a result.

At the end of the day, I'm open to any line combinations.  Who knows what combos might end up working; look at the Bonino line last playoffs.  By doing this though, you miss out on the potentially higher scoring from Hansen on the right, and you also would probably be better off at least trying out Rodin or Virtanen in that position, if either end up good enough to handle it.  (Which I find doubtful)

7 minutes ago, nzan said:

We were talking about this in another thread.

I like the idea of Hansen, Horvat and Sutter all playing together to make a real hardcore fore-checking line.

Baertschi could use some more time developing on a lower line in my opinion.

I thought about mentioning that too, what a great shutdown line. Could line match them against other teams top line all night freeing up Sedins and a more skilled 3rd line for us

10 minutes ago, Progressive Hockey said:

Yeah, I just think Granlund should be playing with guys like Rodin, Hansen or Baertschi, not Dorsett and Etem

Granlund is probably going to get Baertschi as his playmaker.  WillieD really liked Baertschi's game at the end of the season when he gave him a more offensive role.  He talked of how he was constantly making things happen each time he had the puck.  Tomlinson was also talking of how Baertschi was just generating offence out of nothing and creating opportunities for his linemates.  Hopefully Granlund finds his scoring touch because he's going to be getting the puck on his tape a lot.  Ideally they have a sniper on their line - maybe Rodin.  

Just now, mll said:

Granlund is probably going to get Baertschi as his playmaker.  WillieD really liked Baertschi's game at the end of the season when he gave him a more offensive role.  He talked of how he was constantly making things happen each time he had the puck.  Tomlinson was also talking of how Baertschi was just generating offence out of nothing and creating opportunities for his linemates.  Hopefully Granlund finds his scoring touch because he's going to be getting the puck on his tape a lot.  Ideally they have a sniper on their line - maybe Rodin.  

I would love that line. I think Baertschi & Granlund could develop into a very nice offensive combo. Baertschi is a playmaker for sure, loved his ability to create plays in tight spaces. Now in two years throw Boesser on the right side! There is your sniper.

Baertschi Granlund Boesser

Archived