The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick Roy leaving Colorado [QUITS]

6 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

How many coaches actually quit an NHL job? Certainly doesn't happen very often.

Dale Hunter is the only one of recent memory.  Although I guess he didn't technically quit, but rather decided not to return.

7 hours ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

I never said that.  I made no assumptions.  I said if he wasn't asked, it's a total failure by the IOC.  Rarely do I make definitive statements about issues with unknowns, I'm a perennial fence-sitter.  I "think" he was asked, it makes sense that he was.  I think I should start a thread, this has some people riled.  Do you think it likely the IOC didn't ask Joe freaking Sakic to be a torch bearer?  I don't think that's likely at all.

I doubt they asked him as he was retired and had been away from hockey for a while, plus even if he did, I doubt he would have done it because he was that humble.

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Dale Hunter is the only one of recent memory.  Although I guess he didn't technically quit, but rather decided not to return.

Last one I remember was Larry Robinson due to health reasons I think.

11 hours ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

I never said that.  I made no assumptions.  I said if he wasn't asked, it's a total failure by the IOC.  Rarely do I make definitive statements about issues with unknowns, I'm a perennial fence-sitter.  I "think" he was asked, it makes sense that he was.  I think I should start a thread, this has some people riled.  Do you think it likely the IOC didn't ask Joe freaking Sakic to be a torch bearer?  I don't think that's likely at all.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that you suggested that local athletes owe you something.  The guy doesn't deserve to be honoured with the name of "Burnaby", because he's not loyal enough to your garbage city......or did I miss something?

32 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Actually, I'm pretty sure that you suggested that local athletes owe you something.  The guy doesn't deserve to be honoured with the name of "Burnaby", because he's not loyal enough to your garbage city......or did I miss something?

Where did I suggest that? 

...and why are you calling Burnanby a garbage city?  What a douchy thing to say.

...and why would you say he doesn't deserve the honour?  I said it doesn't fit, his nickname is Super Joe.

5 hours ago, smokes said:

I doubt they asked him as he was retired and had been away from hockey for a while, plus even if he did, I doubt he would have done it because he was that humble.

He retired in 08-09, that was not a long time.  You may be right about about his humility, but I would have liked to see his involvement in some way.  As a previous Team Canada player it seemed like a perfect fit.

21 hours ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Burnaby Joe is long gone, he is 100% Colorado.  I'm leaving out a lot of words I would like to use to describe him out of respect for Burnanby and anyone here who remains a fan of him.

19 hours ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

He gets so much love from here but does nothign to deserve it, other than being one of the best athletes to come from our region.  I'm huge on local talent, I love it when they reciprocate the support with charity, exposure, or any kind of love whatsoever.  I feel none of that from Colorado Joe.  He could have at least been a torch bearer at the 2010 games.

If you're trying to say that you're not whining about Sakic's loyalty to Burnaby then these posts are a bit confusing.

Did you really not mean, "he's not Burnaby Joe to me"?  Or did you mean, "I totally respect that he is Colorado Joe now"?

21 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Personally,I didn't think he was a good coach at all (he was a remarkable goalie and competitor)....I think his successor will improve the Av's..

Depending on who the AVs can get to replace him, this might be like when the Hawks sacked Denis Savard for Joel Q, and the rest is history. They've got some very good pieces on that AVs team and I know they had the one big surprising season under Roy, but they never really were as good as they should have been since.

7 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

If you're trying to say that you're not whining about Sakic's loyalty to Burnaby then these posts are a bit confusing.

Did you really not mean, "he's not Burnaby Joe to me"?  Or did you mean, "I totally respect that he is Colorado Joe now"?

This is completely derailing the thread, PM me if this isn't enough clarification for you. 

He's not Burnanby Joe to me.  He's Super Joe, that's his nickname everywhere else.  I totally respect him, but I do also apparently harbour some form of negative feelings surrounding it, or I wouldn't be dragging this on.  I have some weird hang-up on locally grown athletes, proven by my borderline obsession with keeping Hammer and Willie Mitchell over the years, and my desire to have Lucic sign here.  Hell, I've even promoted Evander Kane to come home to find himself (provided he doesn't actually beat women, I have no respect for him if the allegations are true).  I wish I had more reasons to obsess over Sakic, but he apparently shy'd away from the spotlight here, as was his prerogative.  In my initial comment I was suggesting Roy and Sakic didn't see eye to eye, by referring to Sakic as Colorado Joe, I sensationalized it, exposing my bias and ruffling a lot more feathers than expected.  I was going to jokingly start a thread called "Joe Sakic, does Burnaby really need him?"  as a joke, I'm glad I didn't now.  It wasn't meant to be so offensive, oh well, I guess I can be a villain at times.  I still maintain he should have been a part of 2010.  That fed my bias for sure. 

Like I said, if you (or anyone) have more to say, PM me, I don't want to continue derailing this thread.

3 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

This is completely derailing the thread, PM me if this isn't enough clarification for you. 

He's not Burnanby Joe to me.  He's Super Joe, that's his nickname everywhere else.  I totally respect him, but I do also apparently harbour some form of negative feelings surrounding it, or I wouldn't be dragging this on.  I have some weird hang-up on locally grown athletes, proven by my borderline obsession with keeping Hammer and Willie Mitchell over the years, and my desire to have Lucic sign here.  Hell, I've even promoted Evander Kane to come home to find himself (provided he doesn't actually beat women, I have no respect for him if the allegations are true).  I wish I had more reasons to obsess over Sakic, but he apparently shy'd away from the spotlight here, as was his prerogative.  In my initial comment I was suggesting Roy and Sakic didn't see eye to eye, by referring to Sakic as Colorado Joe, I sensationalized it, exposing my bias and ruffling a lot more feathers than expected.  I was going to jokingly start a thread called "Joe Sakic, does Burnaby really need him?"  as a joke, I'm glad I didn't now.  It wasn't meant to be so offensive, oh well, I guess I can be a villain at times.  I still maintain he should have been a part of 2010.  That fed my bias for sure. 

Like I said, if you (or anyone) have more to say, PM me, I don't want to continue derailing this thread.

Exactly.  That's exactly what I got from your other posts.  Clarification was unnecessary.  The butt-hurt was loud and clear.  As was the hang-up.

3 hours ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Why do you care?  Do you just relish winding people up?  I've said it before, you post like a jerk.  I hope in person you are less abrasive.

Guilty on all counts.

But there is more to the story; sometimes people make an outrageous statement and then get defensive when people criticize it.

Hating so hard on Roy may not be warranted. Look at what he did in his first year, the next year the team slips and he probably makes some recommendations etc. Front office does nothing at all, same thing the next year, now he's even more choked. He does seem pretty abrupt and all, but I don't know if its fair to point the finger at him like CDC is. 

I think their front office is also to blame.

On August 12, 2016 at 8:22 AM, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Where did I suggest that? 

...and why are you calling Burnanby a garbage city?  What a douchy thing to say.

...and why would you say he doesn't deserve the honour?  I said it doesn't fit, his nickname is Super Joe.

He isn't wrong.   

You couldent pay me to live in Burnaby. 

Archived