The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

DOUG JARVIS

WHL rocks

9 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

You are giving WD a lot of credit there.... still don't see how it was his individual coaching effort that was the difference, and his very poor showing in the playoffs makes me doubt it was him that got them there. I'm still open to what it is that makes WD special, haven't seen it yet. 

So getting into the playoffs playing an 82 game schedule had nothing to do with Willie but losing a 7 game series was all him? Sounds like the typical win despite the coach, lose because of him routine. Well if said players could beat the odds over an 82 game schedule despite the coach, why couldn't said players manage it over a mere 7 game series despite the coach?

11 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

You are giving WD a lot of credit there.... still don't see how it was his individual coaching effort that was the difference, and his very poor showing in the playoffs makes me doubt it was him that got them there. I'm still open to what it is that makes WD special, haven't seen it yet. 

It never is down to one man but don't forget there was little difference between the team that year and the previous year other than by the loss of Kesler it got weaker. It also had more injuries.

You are just too hard on him. You keep acting like he has the finished article of a team but sadly he hasn't - yet. You keep acting like he has been in the league for 5 years or more, no he hasn't, this is only his 3rd season. Jeez I would like to see some of you people judged in the same way at your work.

Did you see where the Leafs are lying, with their much vaunted coach Babcock? They took a 5-1 hounding despite having Matthews, Marner and Nylander in the team. Now I don't doubt Babcock will get it right but I equally don't doubt WD will either, the difference is Willie is starting from much further back. That makes a hell of a difference.

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

So getting into the playoffs playing an 82 game schedule had nothing to do with Willie but losing a 7 game series was all him? Sounds like the typical win despite the coach, lose because of him routine. Well if said players could beat the odds over an 82 game schedule despite the coach, why couldn't said players manage it over a mere 7 game series despite the coach?

Intensity. Speed. Quick adaptation. Its called the 2nd season for a reason. Its why a team like LA can just speak in during the regular season and then dominate as a playoff team. Or the reverse is true - a guy like Vrbata can be a great regular season performer, but stink in the playoffs. Same for coaches - sicking to a plan, rolling 4 lines is great for the regular season, but WIllie stuck to that like glue and it was a terrible playoff strategy. 

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

It never is down to one man but don't forget there was little difference between the team that year and the previous year other than by the loss of Kesler it got weaker. It also had more injuries.

You are just too hard on him. You keep acting like he has the finished article of a team but sadly he hasn't - yet. You keep acting like he has been in the league for 5 years or more, no he hasn't, this is only his 3rd season. Jeez I would like to see some of you people judged in the same way at your work.

Did you see where the Leafs are lying, with their much vaunted coach Babcock? They took a 5-1 hounding despite having Matthews, Marner and Nylander in the team. Now I don't doubt Babcock will get it right but I equally don't doubt WD will either, the difference is Willie is starting from much further back. That makes a hell of a difference.

The Hated and despised Laughs are collecting A LOT of elite forwards but are not getting the D playing well, and their goalie is crap.  I hate them, but they are fun to watch, because of the young players.  Hopefully, WD starts playing our young guys more.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The Hated and despised Laughs are collecting A LOT of elite forwards but are not getting the D playing well, and their goalie is crap.  I hate them, but they are fun to watch, because of the young players.  Hopefully, WD starts playing our young guys more.

Well I hate to disillusion you Alf but they were not much fun to watch against the Islanders and I watched the whole game. They certainly didn't look as good as we have looked on occasions this season but then some of you guys see the score and automatically say they are boring.

Just now, alfstonker said:

Well I hate to disillusion you Alf but they were not much fun to watch against the Islanders and I watched the whole game. They certainly didn't look as good as we have looked on occasions this season but then some of you guys see the score and automatically say they are boring.

Maybe it's the defense first system Jarvis implemented that has guys still thinking instead of just playing?  Maybe it's a thing that just takes time?  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe it's the defense first system Jarvis implemented that has guys still thinking instead of just playing?  Maybe it's a thing that just takes time?  

Well I think you are right. We are only 9 games in and even then we have had "crucial" injuries. I say crucial because I do rate Dorsett, unlike many on here (I really think he would be good for Gaunce and Skille)  I also think despite my feeling that Tanev allows himself to take too many hits, we have missed him.

Burr I'm really not sure about. The eye-opener for me with Burr is he looks WEAK on his skates - he was never like that before, he now constantly falls down or gets bumped to the ice. 

I don't imagine he hasn't trained hard in the pre season but I just think he has burnt himself out - well we'll see, if he is still playing like that come Christmas, then I really don't see a spot for him anymore.

On 2016-10-31 at 10:16 AM, S'all Good Man said:

Credit Benning for getting this guy on board. I just don't get the love for Willie's coaching style, there's nothing to back it up. 

You've failed to accurately define his coaching.

Still waiting for one hater/doubter (whatever people want to call themeselves) to exemplify that they have a clue what his systems actually are.

47 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Since a lot of you gave Jarvis all the credit during our win streak, does he get all the blame for our losing streak? Didn't think so...

Yeah, the "missing all the Grade A chances" system really sucks.

I just wish Baetschi, Virtanen, Hank, Eriksson - would just play the system.

The system is supposed to be "bury your chances."

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You've failed to accurately define his coaching.

Still waiting for one hater/doubter (whatever people want to call themeselves) to exemplify that they have a clue what his systems actually are.

Maybe you can help me with this - how would you define it? All I've seen is this guy is supposed to be some kind of "teacher" but the results aren't there. 

Archived