The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Forward Development

kingofsurrey

4 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Yeah...a myopic observation applied to an unsupported, and nevertheless predetermined, conclusion.

Actually I may have misread something through all my tears.  I'm sobbing about the prospect pool and burning up with angst about Benning.

Maybe if I string together some big words I can finally win an argument.  

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Having a strong farm team for call ups is part of his job JR. We are living paycheque to paycheque  with no money in the bank. 

What part of your brain can't grasp that we haven't got there yet? That AHL depth has to come from somewhere. You draft it and it plays in junior (or college, or Europe) and eventually makes it to your AHL team and NHL team. This doesn't happen overnight. Do you have any concept of time? Benning is not a master of time and space on top of being good at drafting.

Kesler

Hansen

Raymond

Rodin

Shinkaruk

I don’t get why it matters that we traded them?  Are team not allowed to move players they develop for other players? Can team only win by developing and keeping their own players?

Kesler turned into Sutter and Guddy. 

Shinkaruk turned into Granlund.

So yes developing turns into players that are helping us today.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Simple  question

Who was the last forward  prospect drafted by the Canucks -  developed by the canucks - and  now contributing as a forward on our team in the prime of his career ? 

Who and what year was this forward  drafted ? 

Just curious who you pick ?  Do you see this as a problem with our club ?

It there some importance to this question.  Who care's where the players come from, We had a span were we lead the league and good teams use young players as asset to keep their window open.  We did that and now we are starting to stock pile again.

I'll asked the same question about the Hawks.  Outside of Kane and Toews, which player in their system have they drafted and developed that is in their prime contributing to there roster?

The answer,.....Kruger who was drafted in 2009......Everyone else (including there D) have been traded away.

Again what is the purpose of this thread.  Does is make Horvat less special that he skipped the AHL?  How many forwards have came through the flames or oilers farm teams?

Does it make Baertschi any less that we traded for him?

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

What part of your brain can't grasp that we haven't got there yet? That AHL depth has to come from somewhere. You draft it and it plays in junior (or college, or Europe) and eventually makes it to your AHL team and NHL team. This doesn't happen overnight. Do you have any concept of time? Benning is not a master of time and space on top of being good at drafting.

Shinkurak, Forsling, McCann, coulda snagged Etem back, all those 2nds and 3rds he traded are all going to continue to leave our farm team watered down. If I'm looking at a franchise that builds through the draft I see a franchise that builds up their AHL franchise not gut it every chance they get. We are wasting Travis Green. Why isn't the golden Boy Virtanen over there? it's pathetic. 

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It there some importance to this question.  Who care's where the players come from, We had a span were we lead the league and good teams use young players as asset to keep their window open.  We did that and now we are starting to stock pile again.

I'll asked the same question about the Hawks.  Outside of Kane and Toews, which player in their system have they drafted and developed that is in their prime contributing to there roster?

The answer,.....Kruger who was drafted in 2009......Everyone else (including there D) have been traded away.

Again what is the purpose of this thread.  Does is make Horvat less special that he skipped the AHL?  How many forwards have came through the flames or oilers farm teams?

Does it make Baertschi any less that we traded for him?

A full cycle development is a testimony to your late round drafting abilities and your commitment to player development over winning now. Honestly, would it have killed horvat to go back to Jr and go to the Comets? I don't think so, it woulda saved a year of ELC, it's not like he woulda missed anything. 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Shinkurak, Forsling, McCann, coulda snagged Etem back, all those 2nds and 3rds he traded are all going to continue to leave our farm team watered down. If I'm looking at a franchise that builds through the draft I see a franchise that builds up their AHL franchise not gut it every chance they get. We are wasting Travis Green. Why isn't the golden Boy Virtanen over there? it's pathetic. 

Shink = Granlund, Forsling part of Sutter, McCann = Gudbranson. Those players didn't simply turn to vapour.

Down 1 pick.

Benning had to fill a massive age gap left from the previous regime contending for a cup and spending futures. Now that that's largely 'full', he can continue to backfill Utica's gap as well. That takes time. All those kids taken in the last 2-3 years will start to create that AHL depth. I really don't see how you're missing this? 

Agreed on Virtanen.

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

A full cycle development is a testimony to your late round drafting abilities and your commitment to player development over winning now. Honestly, would it have killed horvat to go back to Jr and go to the Comets? I don't think so, it woulda saved a year of ELC, it's not like he woulda missed anything. 

Would it have killed?  Probably not but would Horvat be better off had he did? Would he be producing at level he's currently at? Probably not.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Shink = Granlund, Forsling part of Sutter, McCann = Gudbranson. Those players didn't simply turn to vapour.

Down 1 pick.

Benning had to fill a massive age gap left from the previous regime contending for a cup and spending futures. Now that that's largely 'full', he can continue to backfill Utica's gap as well. That takes time. All those kids taken in the last 2-3 years will start to create that AHL depth. I really don't see how you're missing this? 

Agreed on Virtanen.

We have nothing in Utica, I see a strong farm team as a priority. That 1 pick down is a bit of a foggy statement. You cannot compare a 5th or 7th to a 2nd. Those 2nd and 3rd rounders are the guys who end up in Utica and eventually in the NHL. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Would it have killed?  Probably not but would Horvat be better off had he did? Would he be producing at level he's currently at? Probably not.

Impossible to predict. He could be producing more, how the hell would we ever know. 

39 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I see nothing in his actions that rectify these dysfunctions of the last 10 years. He is following suit as far as I can see. 

What.... you can not be serious. I must be misunderstanding your answer...some how...

3 years JB has been at the helm, and so far JV and BB looks like they will be future players for the team.

And last year he drafted a defender in the first round...

This sounds more and more like haters gonna hate... 

We have nothing in Utica, I see a strong farm team as a priority. That 1 pick down is a bit of a foggy statement. You cannot compare a 5th or 7th to a 2nd. Those 2nd and 3rd rounders are the guys who end up in Utica and eventually in the NHL. 

Granlund, previous 2nd round pick, Baer, 13th overall, Sutter 11th overall, Gudbranson 3rd overall. Again, those picks didn't go nowhere.

Of course we 'have nothing' (which isn't true FWIW) we only started rebuilding 2-3 years ago. AS I'VE BEEN EXPLAINING, MOST OF THOSE KIDS WE'VE DRAFTED HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO EVEN MAKE IT TO UTICA YET.

We have so many players that have developed through our minor league system and playing in the NHL still today. Guys like Edler, Hansen pops into everyone's mind. Utica is currently depleted and full of plugs but they will eventually develop into players we anticipate them to be. We also have Boeser who looks to be ready for the big show and doesn't need time in the A. Great future ahead for this team with Markstrom, Demko, Juolevi, Horvat and many more prospects that will have a great impact on our team. 

Just now, spook007 said:

What.... you can not be serious. I must be misunderstanding your answer...some how...

3 years JB has been at the helm, and so far JV and BB looks like they will be future players for the team.

And last year he drafted a defender in the first round...

This sounds more and more like haters gonna hate... 

How does that set him apart from Gillis? So he picked some good players in the 1st round, congratulations 

Impossible to predict. He could be producing more, how the hell would we ever know. 

Because it would have been a lot to ask for any rookie to come in and play (in the position) we but Horvat in last year.

One thing i do no, you get confidence the more comfortable you are in the league.  Horvat is in year 3.  He knows what he's up against, he know what he can do against his competition.  He wouldn't have been put in a #2 or #3 center role in his rookie year. 

Just now, J.R. said:

Granlund, previous 2nd round pick, Baer, 13th overall, Sutter 11th overall, Gudbranson 3rd overall. Again, those picks didn't go nowhere.

Of course we 'have nothing' (which isn't true FWIW) we only started rebuilding 2-3 years ago. AS I'VE BEEN EXPLAINING, MOST OF THOSE KIDS WE'VE DRAFTED HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO EVEN MAKE IT TO UTICA YET.

Man, there is no need for capital letters. I'm not talking about what is on the team I'm talking about what is in the AHL. He hasn't invested in the comets. We have a talentless farm system. 

Archived