The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Forward Development

kingofsurrey

37 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

LOL Loving this thread so far, and I think we can agree that this team has no creativity or elite-scoring at the forward position, which in turn makes this team kind of boring to watch. When the Sedins were in their prime, we had one of the most exciting teams in the league. 

Say what you want about the leafs and oilers, but right now I actually watch those games and come away leaving satisfied in watching entertaining hockey. The leafs only started their "rebuild" 2 years ago, before that they were doing the same thing we were which is trying to make the playoffs (Kessel, Phanoof, Clarkson etc). 

Then they all of a sudden bring in some major league clout in Shanahan, Babcock and Lamorello and the 2nd year they have building blocks of Nylander, Matthews, Marner, Rielly, Zaitsev.

Sometimes it takes luck to get a high pick in a draft that has elite talent. 

I think if we landed a top 3 pick in this past draft we would not have this discussion because Lainer or Poolparty would be lighting it up for us. 

Well hopefully they'd be Utica, amirite?

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Really the kid is lighting it up in the NCAA right now. Which player in the 2nd round would you have prefered?

3 goals this season. that is a good start.  Too early to see yet how his season goes...

6 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I would have preferred him + more. 

We did get more...more in the flavor of Gudbranson. 

McCann + Asplund + Lockwood

Or

Gudbranson + Lockwood

I’m going with option 2 every day of the week.  Be upset about the Vey deal,  be upset about the Baertschi deal, those are high risk moves that could end up as nothing in the end.  But Gudbranson was any but a high risk player.  We landed a sure fire stud D who's under 25 year old. 

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I doubt that personally. IMO, Benning REALLY likes Juolevi (as he should, again IMO).

But I do find it pretty funny that @LaBamba is whining about not drafting any potentially elite forwards 1st round last year when we drafted a potentially elite D. Oh no! What a problem! :rolleyes:

Especially considering that elite D are both harder to find and take longer to develop...it actually makes sense to draft the D first but yeah, it's apparently a 'problem' in his 'the grass is always browner' world.

This thread has been thoroughly entertaining! 

I would find it hard to be a fan with LaBamba's outlook.  It would be super hard to enjoy any aspect of your team.  You can always look for the mistakes and what your team messes up, but I like to think their is hope for the future.  I think JB is doing a stand up job so far.  Can't wait to see his picks on the big club.

Go to the stats page on our prospects. Considering we have guys in the 5th to 7th round doing well in junior, and guys like Lockwood, Boeser, and Gaudette showing a lot of promise. It's not all doom and gloom. Unlike others our prospects are going to take time to develop. But the impatient folks screaming for change don't get that even if we gutted the team now. It's still going to be 2-3 years before we see some good results. 

Our fanbase doesn't have patience, that's why a total tank or rebuild for 2-3 years won't happen. Our fans can't tolerate a 3 game losing streak. Let alone multiple losing seasons. 

5 minutes ago, stuman491 said:

This thread has been thoroughly entertaining! 

I would find it hard to be a fan with LaBamba's outlook.  It would be super hard to enjoy any aspect of your team.  You can always look for the mistakes and what your team messes up, but I like to think their is hope for the future.  I think JB is doing a stand up job so far.  Can't wait to see his picks on the big club.

Honestly, when I look at how he's transformed our present and future D core in very short order from being arguably the organization's weakest point to arguably it's strength, I don't know how one could not be optimistic to see what he does with our forwards in the next 1-2 years.

Of course that requires some patience to actually play out...:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Simple  question

Who was the last forward  prospect drafted by the Canucks -  developed by the canucks - and  now contributing as a forward on our team in the prime of his career ? 

Who and what year was this forward  drafted ? 

Just curious who you pick ?  Do you see this as a problem with our club ?

Elite players don't go to the minors to develop (sedins). Look at 2 of the most recent successful organizations  in Chicago and Pittsburgh. Who are they running out there that was drafted and developed and now producing in tthir prime? Kris Letang spent 10 games down. MA Fleury and Matt Murray both did, but they are goalies. Nick Jharmalson seems to be the closest spending about 90 games.

So, the two most successful franchises in recent memory have 2 goalies and a decent defenseman. I dont think the point you want to make can be made. I cant be bothered to do the Kings. Maybe the OP can to prove his point. Maybe Detroit as well. 

The truth, NHL players are developed at the NHL level because that is where the best coaches , trainers, resources, etc are located.

19 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Lets stop kidding ourselves for the purpose of getting a one up on an argument. Leaving the draft you finished 3 last in with William Lockwood as your top forward is pretty damn pathetic. That my friend is why we have a talentless farm. 2nd and 3rd round picks are Candy in a perverts van. 

But if we drafted a top forward, we would have a thread about needing defence prospects....  

apparently when we draft one d in the 1st round in what 10 years, trade away our second to get another defence man, our GM screwed up by not also getting a top forward.  

We got Lockwood, Ollie and part of Gudbranson in the draft this year. 

Why our farm is struggling this year, no 1st rounders are playing in Utica this year, because we have 3 recent ones on the club, 4 if you count Granlund (Shinkaruk). One more (possibly the best) in College, developing, Boeser and Ollie is in London. 

Our farm team is weak so on the bright side Demko is going to get one hell of a work out... Yeah;)

But Utica would look a lot better is Boeser, Virtannen and Juolevi were on the roster.  

10 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

We did get more...more in the flavor of Gudbranson. 

McCann + Asplund + Lockwood

Or

Gudbranson + Lockwood

I’m going with option 2 every day of the week.  Be upset about the Vey deal,  be upset about the Baertschi deal, those are high risk moves that could end up as nothing in the end.  But Gudbranson was any but a high risk player.  We landed a sure fire stud D who's under 25 year old. 

Its the accumulation of these moves that are hurting us long term but ya Gudbranson is some good eyecandy for an organization starving for talent. 

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Its the accumulation of these moves that are hurting us long term but ya Gudbranson is some good eyecandy for an organization starving for talent. 

Because getting talented, under 25 year old players is bad long term....right. 

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Go to the stats page on our prospects. Considering we have guys in the 5th to 7th round doing well in junior, and guys like Lockwood, Boeser, and Gaudette showing a lot of promise. It's not all doom and gloom. Unlike others our prospects are going to take time to develop. But the impatient folks screaming for change don't get that even if we gutted the team now. It's still going to be 2-3 years before we see some good results. 

Our fanbase doesn't have patience, that's why a total tank or rebuild for 2-3 years won't happen. Our fans can't tolerate a 3 game losing streak. Let alone multiple losing seasons. 

Most people that whine about the prospect pool have next to no idea who is actually in it.

35 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

This discussion is about what top 6 forwards have been drafted and developed by the canucks .

But you've formulated and structured the discussion to only be able to lead to your precluded conclusion.

it's like heads-i-win-tails-you-lose.

only players who are in their prime count, and look how long ago they were drafted!  (psst...guys don't reach their prime until a number of years after they were drafted).

3 minutes ago, nzan said:

But you've formulated and structured the discussion to only be able to lead to your precluded conclusion.

it's like heads-i-win-tails-you-lose.

only players who are in their prime count, and look how long ago they were drafted!  (psst...guys don't reach their prime until a number of years after they were drafted).

it's niche whining.  it's in vogue amongst the hipsters here.

Archived