The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Forward Development

kingofsurrey

7 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Its the accumulation of these moves that are hurting us long term but ya Gudbranson is some good eyecandy for an organization starving for talent. 

but this is exactly why this discussion is broken from the get-go.

we suck because we can't develop forwards good!

well, we had McCann until we traded him for something better.

he doesn't count cause we traded him away.

ok, but you realize we got better as a team in the process, right?

well, he didn't count anyway cause he wasn't in the ahl!

I believe the OP would prefer the Detroit model which is now on its last fumes (maybe?). 

For years they had enough talent, playoff appearances and cup wins to be patient, perhaps overly-patient in bringing their prospects up from the A. 

Guys like Helm, Abdulkater, Tatar, Jurco, Nielson, Nyquist etc were all brought along with at least a few years to marinate. However, the Wings were already talented and could win games while letting these late rounders ripen. 

Perhaps that is the model OP is referring to? 

1 minute ago, nzan said:

Out of +'s -_-

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Because getting talented, under 25 year old players is bad long term....right. 

Long term? We gotta sign him to a new contract. If we use the dorsett and Sbisa deals as a metric for Gudbranson's new deal. He should be getting around 27M over 25 years. He is just so big and strong with so much character. His 4 goals a year are plenty for a man of his caliber, look at the conformity and density of his beard. 

Just now, LaBamba said:

Long term? We gotta sign him to a new contract. If we use the dorsett and Sbisa deals as a metric for Gudbranson's new deal. He should be getting around 27M over 25 years. He is just so big and strong with so much character. His 4 goals a year are plenty for a man of his caliber, look at the conformity and density of his beard. 

Clearly his beard earns him $30m X 30 years. Let's not get cheap.

With the Canucks finishing at the top, or near the top of the league and drafting in the high 20s for most of this century, of course our prospect pool is going to be dried up. It's unreasonable to expect Benning to fix this in only 3 years. How many times in the last 16 years have we drafted in the top 10? 3 or 4?

We'll eventually get that young offensively capable talent in our system, I have full confidence in Benning to do that. But it's going to take time, no matter how shrewd a GM Benning is or how good our development system is. I already like how Horvat  and Gaunce are progressing.

With that being said I think they're currently making a huge mistake with Virtanen. Either send him to the AHL or start showing some trust in the kid and start giving him some meaningful minutes with the Canucks. I think it hurts his development otherwise, and considering he's one of our top prospects, I can see where the concern regarding development is coming from.

17 minutes ago, nzan said:

How do you know Gudbranson is better than McCann long term? Cause how ever you got that information is a waste. You could make this world a way better place with those powers. With great powers comes great responsibility. Stop wasting them on this board and help humanity. We need you. 

7 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

How do you know Gudbranson is better than McCann long term? Cause how ever you got that information is a waste. You could make this world a way better place with those powers. With great powers comes great responsibility. Stop wasting them on this board and help humanity. We need you. 

fair enough.

i was making the point that the discussion itself seems unfairly skewed towards only negative conclusions, but with this example i'll concur...I believe that history may eventually show this to have been a bad trade (i don't think it will, but i think McCann is going to be a good-great player someday)

2016 5th Juolevi

2014 6th Virtanen

2013 9th Horvat

2008 10th Cody Hodgson

2005 10th Luc Bourdon

1999 2-3rd Daniel and Henrik Sedin

1998 4th Bryan Allen

1997 10thBrad Ference

1991 7th Alek Stokanov

1990 2nd Petr Nedved

1989 8th Jason Herter

1988 2nd Trevor Linden

1986 7th Dan Woodley

1985 4th Jim Sandlak

1984 10th JJ Daigneault

1983 9th Cam Neely

1981 10th Garth Butcher

1980  7th Rick Lanz

1979 5th Rick Vaive

1978 4th Bill Derlago

1977 4th Jere Gillis

1975 10th Rick Blight

1973 3rd Dennis Ververgaert

1972 3rd Don Lever

1971 3rd Jocelyn Guevermont

1970 2nd Dale Tallon

Notice please between 1999 and 2013 we had 2 top 10 picks, Hodgson didn't pan out. Bourdon died in a tragic accident. Kind of hard to develop forwards when your drafting sucks. 

So put your anger towards Burke/Nonis/ and Gillis. Benning has to clean up the mess, and stock our shelves and ice a hockey team. Gillis only before he was dismissed tried to address the issue. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

2016 5th Juolevi

2014 6th Virtanen

2013 9th Horvat

2008 10th Cody Hodgson

2005 10th Luc Bourdon

1999 2-3rd Daniel and Henrik Sedin

1998 4th Bryan Allen

1997 10thBrad Ference

1991 7th Alek Stokanov

1990 2nd Petr Nedved

1989 8th Jason Herter

1988 2nd Trevor Linden

1986 7th Dan Woodley

1985 4th Jim Sandlak

1984 10th JJ Daigneault

1983 9th Cam Neely

1981 10th Garth Butcher

1980  7th Rick Lanz

1979 5th Rick Vaive

1978 4th Bill Derlago

1977 4th Jere Gillis

1975 10th Rick Blight

1973 3rd Dennis Ververgaert

1972 3rd Don Lever

1971 3rd Jocelyn Guevermont

1970 2nd Dale Tallon

Notice please between 1999 and 2013 we had 2 top 10 picks, Hodgson didn't pan out. Bourdon died in a tragic accident. Kind of hard to develop forwards when your drafting sucks. 

So put your anger towards Burke/Nonis/ and Gillis. Benning has to clean up the mess, and stock our shelves and ice a hockey team. Gillis only before he was dismissed tried to address the issue. 

ya herter nedved stokanov were epic bad picks if only jagr had wanted to play here instead of with mario booo  2000-2008 was really bad no wonder benning had nothing to work with in depth when he got here. boeser, tryamkin, virtanen, mccann thats 4 nhlers in 3 yrs  plus hutton stecher juolevi  and other knocking on door in next 2 yrs 

Let's look at Calgary.

Monahan - should be in the A

Gaudreau - should be in the A

Bennett - should be in the A

Tkachuk - should be in the A

Hamilton - (not within the scope of the thread)

Shinkaruk - should be in the NHL but two idiotic management groups trying to "win games" think he's "not ready".

Obviously they're not gonna win the CUP, so they should be focusing on the minor leagues.  That's right, I'm saying that.  They should focus on having a good minor league team, not a good NHL team.  The true measurement of a top 6 guy is AHL time.  They're basically blowing their wad for a couple of playoff dates, which is the most petty of all goals.

Archived