The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Chaput

RogersTowell

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Chaput is a little older so I will cut Virtanen some slack. Chaput has been playing well. Easily could have had 2 goals last night.

I like Chaputs speed and face off ability. Be nice if he could score a few goals. Whatever but we need the speed. 

I have always liked the way Chaput has played the game. Relentless, good skater, sees the ice fairly well. It was a happy surprise when I found out that we picked him up. As you can imagine I am ecstatic that he has carved a role into our squad. In an ideal world he would be our 4th line center, but unfortunately, some players have underperformed and injuries do happen. Good on Michael, hope he can keep up with this good run of play

12 hours ago, darkpoet said:

Chaput got the call up because he's earned it.

Virtanen got sent down because he earned it.

Hope that helps you understand. 

Virtanen got sent down, because Willie wouldn't play him. Chaput got called up, because this team has no depth at forward. Chaput has 1 assist in 10 games and is a -4, if you care. All I'm saying is, don't expect these class of players to be anything more than 4th line 5 minute energy guys.

13 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

Virtanen got sent down, because Willie wouldn't play him. Chaput got called up, because this team has no depth at forward. Chaput has 1 assist in 10 games and is a -4, if you care. All I'm saying is, don't expect these class of players to be anything more than 4th line 5 minute energy guys.

Virtanien got sent down because he has the work ethic of a rec hockey team player. 

On 11/21/2016 at 3:58 PM, Frail Granny said:

This team is doomed if opportunities are given to the likes of Chaput and Skille, over our top prospects. These plumbers will give the impression that they're playing harder, but their ceiling is 10 to 15 points tops. 

Pretty sure the same was said about undrafted ECHLer Alex Burrows. Sometimes you get lucky and find a gem. Not every player is a 30 goal scorer, but Chaput has some skills that can keep him in the NHL just like Richardson, only probably a lot less fragile, or Malhotra. He is big, fast, defensively responsible and our best face-off man. Nothing wrong with that on the third or 4th line. We have had worse. He wasn't a big scorer in JR, or the AHL, but neither was Burrows. Players develop at different rates, I hope he surprises us. Maybe he should take up ball hockey.

41 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

WD wouldn't play Jake because he is fat and lazy, and doesn't "get it." If he brought the effort that Chaput, Skille and Megna bring every night, he'd probably still be in the NHL. He's also not very smart hockey IQ wise, which causes me concern.

On 11/21/2016 at 6:57 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Chaput's been very good as a fourth line option. Strong on faceoffs, solid defensively, and good possession rates

He got eaten up a bit (in terms of shots metrics and scoring chances) by the Hawks last game when he took on a larger role. But until then, Chaput has been posting some very positive overall numbers in limited minutes.

Stats aside, he's generally looked pretty good out there and has had a positive impact on play during most of his games. 

He is not on the 4th line though is he? I thought he was on the "2nd"

Nevertheless after a slow start (wouldn't expect anything else from a guy coming up) he has shown a lot of pluses for us. Good on face-offs, gritty, decent speed and can play some good passes. I think he and Megna (who I didn't rate in pre season) look to be pulling their weight. Megna is a lot faster than I thought (as is Skille)

53 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

Anymore like that and I'll start to think you're Virtanen's frail granny.

Did you actually watch Jake? To put it mildly he was pi-- poor. Not a patch on last season.

20 hours ago, Frail Granny said:

If the fans are satisfied with the hardest working, lowest scoring team in hockey, than so be it. If I need a hole dug, I'm hiring the lazier guy with a backhoe, over a hard worker with a spoon.

26 goals in the last 8 matches - low scoring.  Are you drunk?

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

26 goals in the last 8 matches - low scoring.  Are you drunk?

Hey, I'm happy with the RECENT performance. I hope it keeps up. Even you have to admit the last year of play has been anguishing to watch though. I will also say Chaput played well last night.

Archived