The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Cup opportunities

I made a proposal recently about the scenario where the canucks bolster up for a playoff run, so I thought I'd make one about the opposite scenario as well. 

To Edmonton:

H. Sedin (50% retained) 

D. Sedin

J. Subban

To Vancouver:

R. Nugent-Hopkins 

M. Hendricks 

Edm 2017 2nd

Yea, yea, helping Edmonton win a cup is blasphemy, but this trade does make sense for multiple reasons. First off, Edmonton is still close enough for the Sedins to feel comfortable moving out. 2. They would provide great secondary scoring and veteran leadership to McDavid. 3. Edmonton should capitalize on their abundance of young centers and try to make a push given how well the team is playing. 4. Benning-Chiarelli relationship. Can only retain salary on one of them, but with RNH and Hendricks coming back, the cap should be fine. 

To Tampa Bay:

C. Tanev 

A. Burrows (50% retained) 

Edm 2017 2nd

To Vancouver:

J. Drouin

TB 2017 3rd

Tampa wants to win now and are desperate for a top 4 RHD, which Tanev definitely is. Tampa is going to be against the cap next year and Drouin will be an expensive RFA. The cap reasons combined with the fact that the organization's relationship with Drouin still might be dodgy, might make him available. Burrows thrown in for a LW replacement for Drouin and the pick swap for a little more value going to Tampa. 

The second trade is far more realistic, in my opinion.  Jim Benning would forever be defined by RNH if he makes that deal.  If he doesn't turn out to be elite, he will be roasted.  Especially against a division rival.  They also need to improve on D more than up front.  Just don't see it happening.

The Tampa deal makes a lot more sense.  Drouin may be a  bit of a prima donna, but he's got potential to be a real top player.  If they would be willing to give him up for Tanev (plus the small upgrade in pick, and Burrows) then I'd say we pull the trigger.  It's a relatively fair deal, and helps both sides.  I wouldn't be surprised if they want to include Garrison coming back to us for cap purposes.

Hell.  Alf is ALL IN on both.  I don't know why JB isn't beating the friggin bushes doing trades like these!  These are perfect for creating excitement in our market, while building for the future.  Excellent post!  Maybe you should be our GM, and get stuff done? 

6 hours ago, IBacon Strips said:

I made a proposal recently about the scenario where the canucks bolster up for a playoff run, so I thought I'd make one about the opposite scenario as well. 

To Edmonton:

H. Sedin (50% retained) 

D. Sedin

J. Subban

To Vancouver:

R. Nugent-Hopkins 

M. Hendricks 

Edm 2017 2nd

Yea, yea, helping Edmonton win a cup is blasphemy, but this trade does make sense for multiple reasons. First off, Edmonton is still close enough for the Sedins to feel comfortable moving out. 2. They would provide great secondary scoring and veteran leadership to McDavid. 3. Edmonton should capitalize on their abundance of young centers and try to make a push given how well the team is playing. 4. Benning-Chiarelli relationship. Can only retain salary on one of them, but with RNH and Hendricks coming back, the cap should be fine. 

To Tampa Bay:

C. Tanev 

A. Burrows (50% retained) 

Edm 2017 2nd

To Vancouver:

J. Drouin

TB 2017 3rd

Tampa wants to win now and are desperate for a top 4 RHD, which Tanev definitely is. Tampa is going to be against the cap next year and Drouin will be an expensive RFA. The cap reasons combined with the fact that the organization's relationship with Drouin still might be dodgy, might make him available. Burrows thrown in for a LW replacement for Drouin and the pick swap for a little more value going to Tampa. 

I'm not sure giving up Drouin would be in Tampa's best interest. They already have some expansion problems, so moving out an expansion ineligible player for an expansion eligible player, regardless of position, could end up hurting them more.  

26 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Its like trading Crosby to the flyers Chara to bruins no way its ever going to happen.

Edmonton has been soft and irrelevant for so long, it's hard for me to see them as deal breaker rivals. I would say L.A, Calgary, Anaheim, Boston, and CBJ (torts) would be the definite no goes. 

4 hours ago, underrated said:

The second trade is far more realistic, in my opinion.  Jim Benning would forever be defined by RNH if he makes that deal.  If he doesn't turn out to be elite, he will be roasted.  Especially against a division rival.  They also need to improve on D more than up front.  Just don't see it happening.

If they were going to be around longer than the year and change in their contract, I would agree with you. Realistically, they will finish the year there and play one more for a cup and either come back to retire here or come back for us in a depth role. All the while we still have RNH for 10 years in a 1a, 1b center role with Horvat, similar to Boston's cup winning duo. 

Agreed with the posters above, the 2nd trade looks decent.  It can meet needs for both sides (elite scoring winger for us, top-4 right-side D-man for Tampa).  Can also understand it if Burr and a 2nd need to go their way while we get a lower pick back, since he's probably poised to break out (having a career-high in points per game this season).  Hopefully he can be the Kane-lite to Bo Horvat's Jonathan Toews-lite.  Good that Stecher and Gudbranson are also around to solidify our right side D.  

Don't see the Oil bite on the 1st trade though, Draisaitl will be an RFA after this season and even if we take 1/2 of Hank's cap ($3.5 million) it still might be a tough maneuver to try and fit the Twins and Leon and potentially upgrade their D-group further if they see the need (they're doing well now but teams often like to add a final piece and could still see them want to do that after all the years of being poor defensively), and this would be tough if the Twins play on the 3rd line for their pay (wonder if Leon would get bumped up to the 2nd line in the event Nuge gets moved).  On our end, Nuge is a nice start for a return but Hendricks and 2nd is a bit underwhelming for scorers plus a decent defensive prospect in Subban.  If anything we should try for their 1st and a prospect IMO.

Their is no way possible that Sedins are going to play for the Oilers!!! Why would we help Edmonton, to dominate us in our division??? Not only that but aswell pay the Sedins who are so loved by Canuck Fans to kick the $&!# out of us!!! If there was a slight chance of us trading the Sedins!!! Which I highly Doubt!! Because they are retiring here!!! They would have to be traded for full salary!!! plus we would want a first round pick aswell a star player with  A prospect type, in return!!! There's no way we are retaining 50% to let oilers kick the $&!# out of us!!! Aswell the Sedins scoring points!!! aswell pay them to do so!!! That's just crazy imo!!!

2 hours ago, Knucks16 said:

Their is no way possible that Sedins are going to play for the Oilers!!! Why would we help Edmonton, to dominate us in our division??? Not only that but aswell pay the Sedins who are so loved by Canuck Fans to kick the $&!# out of us!!! If there was a slight chance of us trading the Sedins!!! Which I highly Doubt!! Because they are retiring here!!! They would have to be traded for full salary!!! plus we would want a first round pick aswell a star player with a A prospect in return!!! There's no way we are retaining 50% to let oilers kick the $&!# out of us!!! Aswell the Sedins scoring points!!! aswell pay them to do so!!! That's just crazy imo!!!

in the spirit of the thread, Henrik and Daniel on the Oilers second line behind McD would almost guarantee them a cup.

45 minutes ago, nergish said:

in the spirit of the thread, Henrik and Daniel on the Oilers second line behind McD would almost guarantee them a cup.

And as a life long Canucks fan, seeing them win with the Oilers would make me sick. Just think about, all those years of talking mad crap about Edmonton coming back to bite us. They'd never live us down.

13 hours ago, Pears said:

And as a life long Canucks fan, seeing them win with the Oilers would make me sick. Just think about, all those years of talking mad crap about Edmonton coming back to bite us. They'd never live us down.

I would be puking my guts out! come down with ammonia! go into a comma! if this ever happened! Thank god it never will:)

Archived