The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Eriksson

dpn1

On 2015-01-07 at 5:43 AM, LaBamba said:

Not really sure why everyone is writing off Eriksson. He has run into some bad luck and hasn't been able to gain traction in Boston. I think he could be a bargain buy.

He was an excellent player in Dallas, sometimes players just don't fit on teams, I think that is fairly obvious with Eriksson in Boston.

On 2016-06-17 at 7:16 PM, LaBamba said:

I'm trying to be respectful and diplomatic when I say this but you have not seen Eriksson play much. 

30 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

If anyone should be panicking it's the homers who worshipped this signing. 

I think you were probably more bull (actually, bear) on Eriksson than I ever was - at least until recently.

Anyhow, I don't know who you're referring to as "worshipping" the signing - and I don't care much tbh because that straw crap certainly doesn't apply to me.

Like I've said many times before this signing and since, Eriksson was about my 4th choice, but failing those others, between signing him or no one I'd take him no question and would do so again today despite the terrible start here.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think the first assumption isn't all that accurate.

Second, he's not transitioning from international ice - the guy has over 500 NHL points.

Third - it's not just a matter of "chemistry" imo  - as long as the team is icing the NHL's youngest blueline and one that doesn't drive a lot of play or produce from the point, I don't see the forwards having as much space as they need - it's not surprising that they're all struggling to an extent.

But hey, this is what happens when you ice a bunch of rookies and sophomores - that's what people wanted, and the injuries have only heightened their desire for a high pick.

Loui likes to feed in the hard areas in front of the net and the rebounds and dirty goals aren't really there to be had at this point.  Imo that has a lot to do with the fact our young blueline is treading water and in over their head.  The forward group with the exception of about 4 players is likewise young and spotty - I'm not about to write off Eriksson as a dead duck under those circumstances.

1. Yes, it is. ALL of the talk before during and after his signing was that this was "the guy" to jumpstart the Sedins and solidify our 1st line until the Sedins retire.

2. What i said re: International play/ice had to do specifically with his experience playing with the Sedins, not anyone anywhere else. 

3. Agreed on that one. 

4. With respect to your last paragraph, that pretty much alludes to the point of my last post. Experience aside, we still have some good young players both up front and on the blue line. Horvat is going to be a top line player in this league sooner than later. Stecher has come in and pushed the pace from the back end, and actually gets his shots through (hoorah!) 

I'm not saying Eriksson "sucks". He's a good player. What shouldn't be happening, is someone with his experience not being able to find at least ONE player on our entire team that he has some kind of conection with where he can get going. You can talk about how young the team is, and that's a valid point - but as you said, he's got 500 pts under his belt and regardless of the Sedin plan not working out, he should be finding some other way to generate offence - and he isn't .

Half a season is plenty of time to get a look at him and who he may fit with. So far it's been a flusher. There's a possibility he might start a fire with Rodin, who's just come back.... other than that, who else?

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

So why bring him in!? Are the above conditions such a huge shocker to our mgmt team?

Did they plan to have Sbisa and Hutton as top pairing D, Stecher - Biega, Tryamkin rounding out a seriously inexperienced blueline?  I doubt that.

Did they also plan to be makeshifting their top 6 without Hansen - meh.

Whatever.

That is life as a Canuck.

Would people here rather have Grenier or Valk in the top 6?  If so I think they have nothing to complain about.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think you were probably more bull on Eriksson than I ever was - at least until recently.

Anyhow, I don't know who you're referring to as "worshipping" the signing - and I don't care much tbh because that straw crap certainly doesn't apply to me.

Like I've said many times before this signing and since, Eriksson was about my 4th choice, but failing those others, between signing him or no one I'd take him no question and would do so again today despite the terrible start here.

I always liked LE. Just don't like him on this team. The only silver lining in the LE deal is that it eats up cap space which indirectly prevents JB from doing something else that's completely mind blowingly stupid. 

Eriksson's NOT the biggest problem.

Twins

Baer

Granny

Skillie

Megna

& Burr(bless him) is getting 'long in the tooth'.

Above are SIX fwds that are easy to play against. Need to change about 4 or 5 of them. Need more large bodies that can give/take abuse. Tell me it's a skill game? Well our team gets run. There's TWO rulebooks..it's that simple.

Need size AND skill. It'll take time. With doubts emerging about our franchise, Eriksson signed up. As fans, we should appreciate & support that, or good luck getting future FA's. This is a solid player that would be a consistent contributor on a relatively/comparatively deeper team. He's not the type of star to DRIVE play, needs the right complementary situation.

Patience is required. Such threads are cutting off our honkers, to spite our mug(or lack of one!)

9 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I'm not saying Eriksson "sucks". He's a good player. What shouldn't be happening, is someone with his experience not being able to find at least ONE player on our entire team that he has some kind of conection with where he can get going. You can talk about how young the team is, and that's a valid point - but as you said, he's got 500 pts under his belt and regardless of the Sedin plan not working out, he should be finding some other way to generate offence - and he isn't .

Half a season is plenty of time to get a look at him and who he may fit with. So far it's been a flusher. There's a possibility he might start a fire with Rodin, who's just come back.... other than that, who else?

I thought him and Granny were developing a bit of chemistry.  

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Did they plan to have Sbisa and Hutton as top pairing D, Stecher - Biega, Tryamkin rounding out a seriously inexperienced blueline?  I doubt that.

Did they also plan to be makeshifting their top 6 without Hansen - meh.

Whatever.

That is life as a Canuck.

Would people here rather have Grenier or Valk in the top 6?  If so I think they have nothing to complain about.

It would seem so.  I mean we were told by JB, trev, you, @J.R., that there is a plan?  The sbisa signing would indicate that as would the tryamkin pick.  Stecher signing?  How can you fault him into an "over his head" group?  He's one of our best at the moment.

grenier? Valk?  Nobody here even mentions the latter and grenier is a  legit chance afforded dud.

our only experienced dmen are injury prone and more than debateably one dimensional (tanev)...

if these details were such an unforeseen mystery to JB when it came to the LE signing then what is there to say?

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

He's not the type of star to DRIVE play, needs the right complementary situation.

Which is precisely whey he was signed. To bag pucks fed from the Sedins.

That hasn't happened, and he hasn't found an alternate "complimentary situation" 

4 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

I thought him and Granny were developing a bit of chemistry.  

I wouldn't disagree with that.

It gets tough though when you were banking on a guy coming in and giving the top line some gas. Then when that doesn't happen you have to start possibly disrupting other lines that may have been working just to find a fit for him.

6+Mill a year is hard to justify. And we're already paying Burr almost $5Mill is a "support role" (although we can all agree his contract was back-pay for bagging 30 goals a season for $2M with the twins)

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Patience is required. Such threads are cutting off our honkers, to spite our mug(or lack of one!)

It's funny how you guys who are happy about LE keep preaching patience. 

Its the Christmas break man. If one of your highest paid forwards isn't producing and you're at the bottom of the standings today. Do you think his lack of production is A contributing factor?

LE didn't sign here to be 3rd last. 

JB didn't sign him to be 3rd last. 

At some point it's going to be too late. The hole he helped dig just keeps getting deeper. He needs to do a complete 180. 

2 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Which is precisely whey he was signed. To bag pucks fed from the Sedins.

That hasn't happened, and he hasn't found an alternate "complimentary situation" 

IMO, as a fan(sure not Mgt!) I'd see LE within the perspective of what he can bring us going forward, mostly post-Sedins. You've got 14 mill wrapped in in 2(certainly excellent people) dudes, who move in turtle gear. It'll work now & then, but you can't build an offense around that..not any more.

"Complimentary"  as you've spelled it, is quite the opposite. This thread(& situation) appear rather critical, at this point.

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

It's funny how much flip flopping you're doing LB - that's not usually your m.o.

You liked that player as much as anyone around here.

You've also been pointing out on a regular basis that people are bent to be expecting short term results and are setting themselves up with unrealistic expectations under the circumstances.

Now you find patience a funny thing.

I'm not sure what you're saying one minute to the next to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

IMO, as a fan(sure not Mgt!) I'd see LE within the perspective of what he can bring us going forward, mostly post-Sedins. You've got 14 mill wrapped in in 2(certainly excellent people) dudes, who move in turtle gear. It'll work now & then, but you can't build an offense around that..not any more.

"Complimentary"  as you've spelled it, is quite the opposite. This thread(& situation) appear rather critical, at this point.

I agree. He's here now and they have to do the best they can with him in the lineup. Just not sure what or where or with whom that is, because half the season is done and he hasn't really gelled significantly with anyone.

It should be critical. I alluded to this in another post. As fans, it's our job to put the hammer down and let management know that we aren't Toronto and we're not going to be spending thou$ands of dollars on a losing team - because in the end that just means that ownership will be more complacent and the problem will take longer to fix.

Look how long Toronto sucked for. Why? Because their fans pride themselves on "sticking with it thick or thin" .... Blind support of a bad team = your team is going to suck for way longer than it should.

6 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Its the Christmas break man. If one of your highest paid forwards isn't producing and you're at the bottom of the standings today. Do you think his lack of production is A contributing factor?

LE didn't sign here to be 3rd last. 

JB didn't sign him to be 3rd last. 

At some point it's going to be too late. The hole he helped dig just keeps getting deeper. He needs to do a complete 180. 

How have you come to the conclusion that I'm "happy" about LE? Disappointed in his numbers thus far; but hopeful he'll show more, especially when our lineup undergoes further, necessary change.

As a fan, you have little to no control over these matters. Don't think people should attach their mood to these outcomes - but I bet many do. Anywho, I advocate patience & taking up a hobby(or two).

This WILL take time.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

It's funny how much flip flopping you're doing LB - that's not usually your m.o.

You liked that player as much as anyone around here.

You've also been pointing out on a regular basis that people are bent to be expecting short term results and are setting themselves up with unrealistic expectations under the circumstances.

Now you find patience a funny thing.

I'm not sure what you're saying one minute to the next to be honest.

Im saying it's perfectly ok to rip on LE's dismal start. It's %100 warranted. Because his lack of scoring has contributed to us being out of the playoffs. This isn't Sept anymore. You preach patience with rooks. Not 30 year old veterans who have played a significant amount of games in both conferences and internationally.

LE sucks and until he starts playing like it's paying I'm not going to pretend everything is ok. I sincerely hope He feels shame.   

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Im saying it's perfectly ok to rip on LE's dismal start. It's %100 warranted. Because his lack of scoring has contributed to us being out of the playoffs. This isn't Sept anymore. You preach patience with rooks. Not 30 year old veterans who have played a significant amount of games in both conferences and internationally.

LE sucks and until he starts playing like it's paying I'm not going to pretend everything is ok. I sincerely hope He feels shame.   

yeah, it's fair to rip his bad start.

on the other hand, I think there's a pathetic and self-defining need for whipping boys in this market.

Archived