The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'm guessing Boeser is ahead of Goldy...

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Rodin, UFA?, Boeser (sheltered ozone line)

Gaunce (ED?), Sutter, Dorsett (matchup dzone line)

Cramarossa

Keep Virtanen, Goldobin, (hopefully) Dahlen etc in Utica with lots of gym time, coaching, building chemistry and dominating offensively. They can get regular call ups with injuries.

At the TDL we pump and dump Rodin and trade that 3C UFA, and Dorsett for prospects/picks and call up the kids. When the season's over they can go back down and try to win a Calder.

#Succession plan

Yeah long term, we have too many top 9 wingers,

Baertschi, Granlund, Rodin, Goldobin, Boeser, Dahlen, Virtanen, Eriksson, Danny.  Within the next two years three of those players are going to be moved. That's not including any more player acquisition or a draft pick developing quickly. 

A good problem to have.  Hopefully the trade we do make can return us some good assets. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Baertschi, Granlund, Rodin, Goldobin, Boeser, Dahlen, Virtanen, Eriksson, Danny.  Within the next two years three of those players are going to be moved. That's not including any more player acquisition or a draft pick developing quickly. 

A good problem to have.  Hopefully the trade we do make can return us some good assets. 

Yeah, I don't see Baer here long term either. As Boeser, Dahlen, Goldobin etc come on line they push him out of that mid size, skill role. The young guys on ELC/bridge contracts will get kept over him and if we attempt to sign a guy like Kane to add some skilled size to that mix...there's just not room.

Solid way to replenish picks/prospects from below though ;) 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, I don't see Baer here long term either. As Boeser, Dahlen, Goldobin etc come on line they push him out of that mid size, skill role. The young guys on ELC/bridge contracts will get kept over him and if we attempt to sign a guy like Kane to add some skilled size to that mix...there's just not room.

Baer would probably be the guy to go...if need be, but Dahlen can play center and with Boeser on his wing that would be a line with 2 good faceoff men.

3 scoring lines should be our goal for the end of next season at least.

12 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I think you guys are a bit quick to discard this kid Baer, who was 4th on the team in points and 3rd in goals, in only 68 games, and still seems to be improving.

I was sort of arguing for Baer as part of 3 scoring lines....

Baer / Bo / Goldy

Granny / Dahlen / Boeser

Rodin / Sutter or Vilvardi or Glass/ Virtanen

48 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I was sort of arguing for Baer as part of 3 scoring lines....

Baer / Bo / Goldy

Granny / Dahlen / Boeser

Rodin / Sutter or Vilvardi or Glass/ Virtanen

3 scoring lines and one checking line is an idea I could get behind. Ideally with at least one of the scoring lines being a 2 way line. I think the 5 minute per game crash and bang 4th line is as outdated as the dedicated enforcer.

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Actually we have too many bottom nine forwards.  We need a legitimate top three either via draft, to emerge from within or be acquired.  Horvat is the only one who has shown the ability to possibly become one over the past year although he is still not proven.  Boeser may as well, time will tell.

Edited by Borvat

2 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Actually we have too many bottom nine forwards.  We need some a legitimate top three via draft, emerge from within or be acquired.  Horvat is the only one who has shown the ability to possibly become one over the past year although he is still not proven.  Boeser may as well, time will tell.

Either way, too many wingers, not going to be enough icetime to go around. 

Skilled playmakers - Baertschi, Goldy, Sedin

Skilled Goal scorers- Rodin, Boeser, Dahlen

Two way forwards - Granlund, Eriksson

Phyiscal forward - Virtanen.

in the next two year 3 players need to go.  I think two are Rodin (trade) and Sedin (retire), that leaves one more.

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

With Green who is the guy that advised to trade for him?

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I think you guys are a bit quick to discard this kid Baer, who was 4th on the team in points and 3rd in goals, in only 68 games, and still seems to be improving.

We're talking like 1-3 years out, not this summer.

It's a fact of life in the modern NHL. You need young, productive top 6 forwards and top 4 D on ELC/bridge contracts. Younger, cheaper (and if we're lucky, better) guys will simply push him out. He'll likely be traded for picks/prospects who will hopefully push some of those guys out too eventually. 

king10.gif

18 minutes ago, mll said:

With Green who is the guy that advised to trade for him?

He'd understand it's just part of the process. He'll be on board with anything that makes the team better.

That said, if Rodin can come in and prove himself an equal option to Baer and willing to sign for cheaper, we could see him retained and Baer moves sooner than later. I doubt that happens though. Best 'realistic' case scenario, he proves himself a half decent complimentary offensive piece on a cheap contract who we can sell to a contender at the TDL.

Worst case, he Larsen's it, gets waived and we recall one of Dahlen/Goldobin.

18 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Apparently he wants to sign here. I assume this is pending a physical:

Thanks for the update. It's a good news that his rehab is going well and that he wants to come back.

I think we should give him a similar contract. If his knee is back to 100%, then we have ourselves a skilled winger that can at worst, compete for a spot at the training camp and make the younger players work harder to earn a spot and at best case, a top 9 player that will help the team be more competitive.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Either way, too many wingers, not going to be enough icetime to go around. 

Skilled playmakers - Baertschi, Goldy, Sedin

Skilled Goal scorers- Rodin, Boeser, Dahlen

Two way forwards - Granlund, Eriksson

Phyiscal forward - Virtanen.

in the next two year 3 players need to go.  I think two are Rodin (trade) and Sedin (retire), that leaves one more.

There are 2 Sedins...and Rodin can play on any line....he is going to be on the team....just watch.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

But only one sedin plays wing..

There's only 6 top 9 wingers spots.  I've listed 9 players. Someone is going to have to go. 

Virtanen and Rodin can play on a checking 3rd line, I imagine Dahlen or Granlund could do that as well and Dahlen is more of a center anyway.  Erikkson is the only peg that doesn't quite fit....6 million for a 3-4th liner at this point....

Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Virtanen and Rodin can play on a checking 3rd line, I imagine Dahlen or Granlund could do that as well and Dahlen is more of a center anyway.  Erikkson is the only peg that doesn't quite fit....6 million for a 3-4th liner at this point....

Eriksson and two others.....Granlund hasn't been good at all as a center, and Dahlen played wing for the last year.  We are likely selecting a center this year in the draft anyways, be it Glass, Vilardi or mittelstadt.  Even if we say the twins retire at the end of this year, try figuring out a top 9 roster for the 2018 season

______ Horvat  ______

______ Sutter ______

______ Vilardi ______

Fill in the blanks. 

Dahlen, Rodin, Eriksson, Baertschi, Virtanen, Granlund, Goldobin, Boeser.  If the sedins don't retire, that means we lose two more spots. Trades are going to have to happen in order to fit, two of the players I've listed are likely on their way out. 

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Eriksson and two others.....Granlund hasn't been good at all as a center, and Dahlen played wing for the last year.  We are likely selecting a center this year in the draft anyways, be it Glass, Vilardi or mittelstadt.  Even if we say the twins retire at the end of this year, try figuring out a top 9 roster for the 2018 season

______ Horvat  ______

______ Sutter ______

______ Vilardi ______

Fill in the blanks. 

Dahlen, Rodin, Eriksson, Baertschi, Virtanen, Granlund, Goldobin, Boeser.  If the sedins don't retire, that means we lose two more spots. Trades are going to have to happen in order to fit, two of the players I've listed are likely on their way out. 

Baer / Bo / Boeser

Granny or Dahlen/ Vilardi / Goldy

Rodin / Dahlen or Granny or Gaunce / Virtanen or Erikkson

Gaunce / Sutter / Erikkson or Virtanen or Dorsett

Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Baer / Bo / Boeser

Granny  Vilardi / Goldy

Rodin / Dahlen   Erikkson

Gaunce / Sutter / Virtanen

Move Dorsett

I cleaned that up for you.... but here is the problem.  there is no size in the top 9, and there wont be enough offensive opportunity to go around that line up. There are too many players that bring similar games. 

So, If you move say Rodin and one of Granlund/Baertschi, not only will we pick up assets in return for moving them. it allows us to effectively manage players roles and there minutes. Two scoring lines, a 2 way checking line and your energy line. 

Baer / Bo / Goldy

Dahlen  / Vilardi / Boeser

Virtanen /Sutter / Erikkson

(UFA) Gaunce / Dorsett

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I cleaned that up for you.... but here is the problem.  there is no size in the top 9, and there wont be enough offensive opportunity to go around that line up. There are too many players that bring similar games. 

So, If you move say Rodin and one of Granlund/Baertschi, not only will we pick up assets in return for moving them. it allows us to effectively manage players roles and there minutes. Two scoring lines, a 2 way checking line and your energy line. 

Baer / Bo / Goldy

Dahlen  / Vilardi / Boeser

Virtanen /Sutter / Erikkson

(UFA) Gaunce / Dorsett

Swap Erikkson for Rodin and I am fine with that...but...I think Granlund has more to offer than any UFA we are likely to find in his price range...and....small is in vogue...one big mucker (non-fighter) per line is all we need...i.e. Bo, Boeser,  Sutter,  Gaunce,  Vilardi,  Virtanen and Dorsett give us enough, within 2 years the NHL will either ban fighting due to legal issue's or at least make it a rarity due to increased fines/suspension's, etc.

Take Nashville for example, their defence is small and they only have 3-4 big forwards...they play fast and smart this group could as well:

(I like it messy, but real choices)...(sad choices all the same with $10+M on the 4th line)

Baer / Bo / Boeser

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Swap Erikkson for Rodin and I am fine with that...but...I think Granlund has more to offer than any UFA we are likely to find in his price range...and....small is in vogue...one big mucker (non-fighter) per line is all we need...i.e. Bo, Boeser,  Sutter,  Gaunce,  Vilardi,  Virtanen and Dorsett give us enough, within 2 years the NHL will either ban fighting due to legal issue's or at least make it a rarity due to increased fines/suspension's, etc.

Take Nashville for example, their defence is small and they only have 3-4 big forwards...they play fast and smart this group could as well:

(I like it messy, but real choices)...(sad choices all the same with $10+M on the 4th line)

Baer / Bo / Boeser

Eriksson is unmovable at this point, but  you're missing that players need ice time to be effective.  You can't just throw Jake/Sutter/Rodin/etc... on the 4th line and expect them to be productive.  Rodin needs icetime, he needs offensive zone starts and pp time,  if he gets that it means someone else isn't.