The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VAN - NYR (Proposal)

Now before you roast me, I acknowledge that it would be nice to have the Sedins retire as Canucks. But it would help the team more to trade them to a contender in exchange for assets. 

Here we go.

Canucks:

H.Sedin (50% retained)

D.Sedin (50% retained)

Rangers:

Kevin Hayes

Conditional 2017 1st (if the Rangers make it to the 2nd round or something like that, otherwise turns into 2018 2nd)

2017 3rd

Kevin Hayes is a 24 year old center who has put up better offensive numbers than anyone on our team this year. Yes I know he is playing with good linemates but still he has impressed.   He also has more room to improve. This helps the Rangers, because while one Sedin isn't an upgrade from Hayes, both of them definitely is. They would help in a long playoff run. Yes, the Sedins have a NMC, but I think they would waive it to go to the NYR who are a contender.  They also would be under a familiar coach in AV.  Naslund and Linden both played for NYR, but their jersey's are still hung from the rafters, so why not the Sedins?  Temporarily the Canucks would suffer, but it would help in the long term. NYR also have enough cap space to do this deal. Thoughts?

Roast away.

I don't see the Sedins being traded, and I don't think the Rangers would trade a 24 year old center who is putting up impressive numbers, with 31 points this season for 2 older players who are coming to the end of their career. 

12 minutes ago, Pears said:

So we send both Sedins while retaining 50% on BOTH and that's all we get in return? Brutal. 

Sedins aren't all-stars anymore.....Hayes has more goals and assists than each Sedin

This is also pushing what we may get for them, but I think NYR would agree.

What do you think is fair value for them?

14 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Sedins aren't all-stars anymore.....Hayes has more goals and assists than each Sedin

This is also pushing what we may get for them, but I think NYR would agree.

What do you think is fair value for them?

At least that for each Sedin, especially if we're keeping 50%.

29 minutes ago, Pears said:

At least that for each Sedin, especially if we're keeping 50%.

Really? So you want double of what I proposed. 4 draft picks and 2 players producing more points than anyone currently on the Canucks roster? Seriously? That is insane.

Just now, Adarsh Sant said:

Really? So you want double of what I proposed. 4 draft picks and 2 players producing more points than anyone currently on the Canucks roster? Seriously? That is insane.

It really isn't considering they're still elite top six players. Look at what Martin St. Louis got at his age.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

So we send both Sedins while retaining 50% on BOTH and that's all we get in return? Brutal. 

i dont know where you are... but this trade overvalues the Sedins if anything. 

The Sedins, in a trade, simply wont fetch much. 

Unless we can trade the Sedins separately

1 hour ago, Pears said:

That is a more than generous offer for both of the twins. Still solid players in a secondary role, they are shells of what they once we're. 

If the Rangers offered this up, you take it and run. 

20 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

That is a more than generous offer for both of the twins. Still solid players in a secondary role, they are shells of what they once we're. 

If the Rangers offered this up, you take it and run. 

That's just not enough in return for both of them especially considering we're retaining 50%. IMHO they're each worth a 1st and a solid young forward like Hayes. The Sedins at $3.5 million each is an amazing deal even right now. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

That's just not enough in return for both of them especially considering we're retaining 50%. IMHO they're each worth a 1st and a solid young forward like Hayes. The Sedins at $3.5 million each is an amazing deal even right now. 

Even at $3.5 million each, that's still $7 million combined. That is a ton of salary to take on mid season. 

You have to keep in mind that the they probably only have 1 more season after this one left in the tank. No team will mortgage the future knowing they are almost done. 

34 minutes ago, Pears said:

Daniel Sedin has 1 goal in his last 14 games and it wasn't even going on net. It deflected off a D-man's skate and went in.  He is on pace for 45 points.  It isn't working for him right now. Henrik has pretty bad stats as well.  They need a fresh start.  NYR would want them because they have a coach who knows how to deploy them properly.  No team would give a 1st and solid forward for EACH Sedin.

2 hours ago, Pears said:

In this day and age I don't think we could realistically expect a lotmore than this except to include a prospect in the mix and change the first round pick to a non-conditional first round pick. Maybe a 2018 mid round pick as well.

If this happened I would be ok with it. Pretty sure it won't though. I doubt the Rags give up their now for our yesterday. Not saying its a bad trade maybe the Sedins go on to hoist a couple cups with AV or maybe they decline into obsolescence and the Rags gave us their future 1c.  Quick JB get on the horn to NY. 

1 hour ago, Pears said:

As has already been pointed out Kevin Hayes is a 24 year old center who is on pace for 60+ points this year while making 1.3M/year for this year and the next. That's an even more amazing deal.

Archived