The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Devils @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Marner vs Megna kinda symbolizes the excitement and hope that rival fans are cheering for at these games. One is filler, the other is the future. The Canucks are so far behind, it's not even close, but because of parity, .500 is still achievable. This much we are painfully well aware of. Let's just hope that they are in lotto contention after game 82. 

why does every player have to knock your socks off?  Megna is a filler, who ever said he was anything but?  Do you expect him to be an impact player?

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Megna is no where near as bad a player as made out to be on here. Above average speed and a decent positional player. He does have to put up points which he has not done consistently enough. The same thing was being said about Baer and Granlund last year. The question is how long does his opportunity run?

as long as he is not hurting the team and as long as there is a spot for him.  I don't understand poster's obssession with lower tier players.

Just now, Hectic said:

Gaunce was the only forward who I thought had a standout game. Also, our PP is awful.. I PVR the games and pretty much skip through the powerplays now because it seriously takes away any momentum that we had before 

finally someone else who gives gaunce some positive attention.......he's quietly put together a decently long string of solid games over the last month or so.  If he gets a chance, a real extended chance, with some decent offensive linemates, people will see his skill.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

finally someone else who gives gaunce some positive attention.......he's quietly put together a decently long string of solid games over the last month or so.  If he gets a chance, a real extended chance, with some decent offensive linemates, people will see his skill.

That's a fair point. I always thought the knock on him was his speed, but in yesterday's game he looked a lot faster. I think shorter shifts are a big part of it - I'd be curious as to what his shift lengths are now vs earlier in the season. Bo's another example of a player who's picked up his speed over the last year, and at the beginning of shifts there's much more gas in the tank to be able to skate full speed. 

5 minutes ago, Hectic said:

That's a fair point. I always thought the knock on him was his speed, but in yesterday's game he looked a lot faster. I think shorter shifts are a big part of it - I'd be curious as to what his shift lengths are now vs earlier in the season. Bo's another example of a player who's picked up his speed over the last year, and at the beginning of shifts there's much more gas in the tank to be able to skate full speed. 

for me, it's about his brain and vision.  he sees, and understands the game at a much higher level than most bottom 6 players and I've seen him make a number of plays in the last month that completely caught his linemates off guard because they just don't think the game at the level he does.  Put him with a Bo and baer for an extended, two players who think the game at his level and see what happens.  I truly think he could probably work well with the twins too.  he has a much brighter future here than most people realize.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

for me, it's about his brain and vision.  he sees, and understands the game at a much higher level than most bottom 6 players and I've seen him make a number of plays in the last month that completely caught his linemates off guard because they just don't think the game at the level he does.  Put him with a Bo and baer for an extended, two players who think the game at his level and see what happens.  I truly think he could probably work well with the twins too.  he has a much brighter future here than most people realize.

you should change your username to staunce ;) 

Trying him with Sutter and Eriksson would probably be the best spot for him to succeed as a LW, playing right side with Bo/Baer or Sedin/Sedin I think wouldn't be a position of strength for him. Granlund has been playing well though, so not sure when he'd get that opportunity. Remember Dorsett and Hansen are out as well, when they come back his linemates could be Dorsett and Burrows which wouldn't be as bad..

32 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Megna is no where near as bad a player as made out to be on here. Above average speed and a decent positional player. He does have to put up points which he has not done consistently enough. The same thing was being said about Baer and Granlund last year. The question is how long does his opportunity run?

Not the same situation.  Megna was signed to play in the AHL and it's an injury that got him in the lineup.  Baer and Granlund were brought in because Benning believed they could be NHLers.  I don't think he ever expected Megna to be playing on the 2nd line.  When Benning says they spoke of getting Rodin in the lineup and playing him on the PP I would think he meant take out Megna and replace him by Rodin. 

Just now, Hectic said:

you should change your username to staunce ;) 

Trying him with Sutter and Eriksson would probably be the best spot for him to succeed as a LW, playing right side with Bo/Baer or Sedin/Sedin I think wouldn't be a position of strength for him. Granlund has been playing well though, so not sure when he'd get that opportunity. Remember Dorsett and Hansen are out as well, when they come back his linemates could be Dorsett and Burrows which wouldn't be as bad..

for this year, I agree, but next year and the year after, I'm betting we see him move into a position where he can flex his offensive muscles with players who can do the same.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

And where is the consistency with opportunities afforded to other players this season?

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Not that I disagree, but as a filler/spare parts from the junk drawer, to support the grim meanwhile of the JB rebuild process, I'd be disappointed if we lost this Isbister/Pyatt/ yawn roster spot filler for nothing. I trust That this would be the opposite of a rebuild move, but then again, we are talking about the Canucks here. 

If we don't want him, the 29 other GM's won't either. Why do people think we can get assets back for players no one wants? Vrbata is a prime example when he signed for a 1m deal and I still see users criticizing Benning over not being able to get anything back. In hockey you have to give value to get value.

1 hour ago, Hectic said:

Gaunce was the only forward who I thought had a standout game. Also, our PP is awful.. I PVR the games and pretty much skip through the powerplays now because it seriously takes away any momentum that we had before 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Gaunce without the points has been an integral part of the 4th line this year, and I haven't noticed him having a bad, or invisible, game for a while now.  

13 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

We pick our whipping boy, du jour...

Now it's Megna(600 k). At THAT price, what do people expect? Did we even spend an asset obtaining him? So he basically amounts to a space-filler, as youth develop in various leagues/stages.

Yet roaming down Main St are a herd of overpriced SACRED COWS that people are afraid to call out.

What ever happened to "bang for the buck"? In a cap-limit, world of parity, criticism should be more objective & circumspect.

We should be rotating everyone in that spot till we find someone with a hot hand. Utica included.

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We should be rotating everyone in that spot till we find someone with a hot hand. Utica included.

Yeah, especially with our travel & older players. Willie squeezes the shyte outa' one lemon for lemonade. Puts it back in the fridge for tomorrow's scorcher.

Meanwhile, rest of the bag is turning rotten.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah, especially with our travel & older players. Willie squeezes the shyte outa' one lemon for lemonade. Puts it back in the fridge for tomorrow's scorcher.

Meanwhile, rest of the bag is turning rotten.

Great analogy.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

why does every player have to knock your socks off?  Megna is a filler, who ever said he was anything but?  Do you expect him to be an impact player?

No, and, he nor the rest, excite me, hence the comparison. 

Not being an impact player has implications. These guys do nothing well or entertaining enough to justify watching them "play hard". I'd rather watch a rugged version of any of these forgettable Bliznak's, while awaiting the death of this era, the one that Benning is dragging out. 

Archived