The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jamie Benn not happy with his sticks

Mackcanuck

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

Sponsorships don't mean free sticks for every player that signs the deal. The player gets piles of money if sponsored, but the team still has to buy the sticks, and all other gear too for that matter. Except for cases like Chelios' shoulder pads that he had worn since peewee.

Benn didn't throw away his own $600 here, he burned the clubs $600. So in that sense the gear is free, but it all still has to be paid for.

Well.... That's kinda what I mean. The team pays for it, but I believe Ovechkin has his own custom sticks that are free from his sponsorship deal. I Believe Ovi's sticks were $1000 each retail value.

2 hours ago, on the cycle said:

Well.... That's kinda what I mean. The team pays for it, but I believe Ovechkin has his own custom sticks that are free from his sponsorship deal. I Believe Ovi's sticks were $1000 each retail value.

Gotcha. He might get his for free, but that wouldn't be common as far as I know. You'd be surprised at how many players have "custom" sticks. All you have to do is go stick shopping to find out how many players have their names on sticks. It's just a way companies try to make the player happy, but typically, they aren't given away for free. 

52 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Gotta love the old Spear Wood's. These are actually great sticks if one learns how to shoot with them.

Things went downhill in 1989 when the NHL let Gretzky start using that shing aluminum Easton (just reading Gretzky's book where he talks about this). I like the composites but the cost is prohibitive to most families to be able to play with the rich kids.

Archived