The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flyers @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Thats all great, I believe those would be called "forward looking statements" in the financial world.

And no I'm not short-sighted, I can read a box score just fine. Megna has not produced, period, full stop. At some point you have to look at actual results and make a call on an attempt at a line or PP unit. 

I get it, he's fast, and is right handed. Oops, can't do much with the puck tho. 

"Hansen scores of the rush" so don't try him on the PP? On this team?? Please. Hansen is more skilled than Meggy on every account. To me this is a good example of Willie's stubborn ways, if you're looking for an excuse not to use Hansen over a career AHLr something is wrong.

We will agree to differ then.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Thats all great, I believe those would be called "forward looking statements" in the financial world.

And no I'm not short-sighted, I can read a box score just fine. Megna has not produced, period, full stop. At some point you have to look at actual results and make a call on an attempt at a line or PP unit. 

I get it, he's fast, and is right handed. Oops, can't do much with the puck tho. 

"Hansen scores of the rush" so don't try him on the PP? On this team?? Please. Hansen is more skilled than Meggy on every account. To me this is a good example of Willie's stubborn ways, if you're looking for an excuse not to use Hansen over a career AHLr something is wrong.

You are clearly right on Megna.  No way he should be on the PP ahead of Hansen.  Very poor coaching.

18 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

We will agree to differ then.

No, I'm pretty sure the numbers back me up! :lol:

Look, Megna is fine for what his intended purpose was, 4th line speed. I have no problem with him, he is good at that role. I'm very happy with Chaput too, just not as 2C! 

Its Willie's stubborn use of Megna in roles he's not qualified for that bugs me, even in the face of real stats and other options.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

That is one short sighted way of seeing it S'all but it bears little resemblance to reality.

Agreed the problem is the Sedins, and I have no idea how Willie gets round it other than splitting them up. I know what I would do but I'd probably be fired the next day. :o

It's your point about Megna that is short sighted and it seems if you can't see what he is good at you will never understand.

Megna has high speed but that high speed unlike some is with the puck under control, he has good hands, excellent vision and can offload Baertschi like passes and lastly he is a workhorse, able to cover for Sedin lapses  - that is why he was on the Sedin line. Hansen is a great player but he does his best work off the rush and is an excellent player for a team playing the trap type game. That said he is not the same player at close quarters (he used to be called unfairly stone hands if you recall) that is why Willie said "he plays best off the rush" 

PP are not designed to be "off the rush" they are meant to be close quarter control and pressure, with slick passing around the opponents goal.

Let Jim Benning help you out.

"“Jayson brings a combination of size, speed and skill to our team adding depth to our forward group this season,” said Jim Benning. “He has the ability to catch the opposition off-guard with deceptive speed and brings a willingness to play in the difficult areas around the net and in the corners. We’re pleased to be able to add Jayson to the team.”

Or Hockey's Future

"He possesses above average speed and skill and has shown to have good one-on-one abilities and soft hands in tight. He is a willing combatant in the corners."

Now granted, I don't see "goal scorer" there but if he was I doubt we would have landed him. There are 4 others on the PP to score goals, 2 in particular made their name from it and so, in the absence of Baertschi we have a player who if he does what he is advertised at, then he he is worth his place in the the team and temporarily on the PP. 

I don't imagine any of this changes your mind but it may help the more reasonable and open minded posters to realise why he is playing on the PP at this time.

Alf, you make some excellent points regarding why Megna was acquired and why he was put on the PP. However, there is often a discrepancy between theory and practice and the bottom line is that the PP is not working. I certainly don't put all the blame on Megna, but I do think it's time to try a different combo there.

I'm just copying and pasting this from my PGT from the Boston game. Tired of writing the same post after every tight game:

No excuse for not having the hot hand on the ice. None. Not just because he is our top scorer(HORVAT), but also arguably the most dangerous player the entire game. If he's having an off game sure you stick with the Sedins etc. He wasn't.

Willie D's player deployment is beyond ridiculous.

Willie, meet Bo. You may have seen his name at the top of our scoring stats list. He wears Number 53 and has scored 18 goals and 40 points so far this year. In close games with a chance to win you seem to mistakenly tap #46 Jayson Megna instead of Bo. He only has 7 points so that seems incorrect to even a half-witted CDC member.

3 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Alf, you make some excellent points regarding why Megna was acquired and why he was put on the PP. However, there is often a discrepancy between theory and practice and the bottom line is that the PP is not working. I certainly don't put all the blame on Megna, but I do think it's time to try a different combo there.

I agree it is not working but that imo cannot be down to Megna, who again imo is doing what is asked of him. It is the D that can't hit a barn door and the "goal scoring" forwards who are crapping the bed - they have no excuse.

No doubt Baertschi will make a difference when he comes back.

Archived