The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flyers @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

54 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Boils down to true executive experience. Linden is in over his head just like Lowe was for the Oilers. 

Just because a player who had worked hard ,and was loved by the fans, his entire career it does not somehow make him an executive that can shape a franchise along with making tough decisions

Agreed. Edmonton was going nowhere with the old glory day Oilers who ran the show.  Being a heart and soul player like Linden was does not necessarily translate into managerial material.  Get some real hockey guys to run the club and in maybe 5 years or so this club can actually contend.  Until then it's all smoke and mirrors by this management group.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Holy crap what a drama post.

we get it. The sedins frustrate you and many due to their decline.  At the end of the day they've been the best Canucks in history and are still our most skilled and respected players (league wide i might add).

do you really think JB or any Nhl gm would fire any coach based on their play at this stage in their careers?

cmon alf. 

So the reverse is true.  If the sedins were still registering 80 points per season it still would have no reflection on the coach.

My point is the Sedins (much as I have loved them for the past 10 years) are what makes this team "stale" on some nights. Can an under pressure coach who is new to the NHL drop them, I doubt it because I doubt if many coaches would feel able to drop them. Linden sounds like he would rather fire the coach.

I realise and have said often enough that we have no ready replacements but I would still like to see them split up or shuffle everyone up a line and drop them to 4th line - even if it was only for a few games. And get them off the PP for goodness sake, I honestly couldn't see alternatives doing any worse.

I defend the coach often against what I consider unfair (in our rebuild circumstances) criticism but I can't agree with his continued and misplaced loyalty imo to playing them together. It's killing us and the fact Loui is taking so long to find his feet is not helping.

People attack Megna and the 4th line but the sad fact is we get far more energy, compete, speed etc from these players than we get from Loui and the Sedins.

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

My original point was that we can't always guarantee that tanking will always solve the problem unless it's a deep draft and we pull a Leafs. 

Anything after the top 2 seems to be a crapshoot 

we pay to the cap and are underperforming. I totally do not understand how people can say we have overperformed under Willie. We can and should be much better....just special teams alone not to mention line choices 

Idk man there's always potential in any draft. Judging by how much u know, u and I both know that it's easier to get young assets through the draft than through a trade. 

We do have assets to move like Edler Miller Hansen Burrows. From all those guys we can get picks and or prospects. Maybe good ones too.

And just a random note: reid Boucher is probably gonna have as many points as Granlund did his first season with us. I feel like he'll have a Granlund like season for us next year if they take him off that fourth line  

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Why all the picking on Ericsson when the Sedins are twice as bad. These guys are "coasting" now, just seeing out their days and and our management is allowing them to do it as if the Club is set up for the benefit of allowing them to break records. It's not right, it's not professional and it is unfair to the fans and the other players.

I can't stand the thought of two more seasons of them skating in slow motion, giving the puck away, back checking like ballerinas and bouncing the puck round the boards to each other ad infinitum. What the ----- do they think they are achieving on the PP?

Because we just eriksson to a 6 year contract and he is 6 years younger.

People had to know this would happen with the Sedins when they signed those huge extensions. They were not going to continue at an elite rate as they aged.

Just now, Conscience said:

Because we just eriksson to a 6 year contract and he is 6 years younger.

People had to know this would happen with the Sedins when they signed those huge extensions. They were not going to continue at an elite rate as they aged.

Well I didn't want a long extension for the Sedins and said so at the time. They had neither the speed nor the physicality to make their skill game work much past their 30's.

I also said at the time that I didn't want Loui, I wanted a more physical player on a 3 year term.

I don't want to re-new the Sedins either just to be clear

10 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Well, yeah. We were all hoping the coaching staff would realize that too though. 

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

Well, yeah. We were all hoping the coaching staff would realize that too though. 

What do they have to do with it?

It wasn't even this regime that gave them the long contract (but they sure as hell can make sure they are not re-newed) 

Linden has made it abundantly clear "they are precious" What can a coach do in these circumstances, especially when we have no ready made replacements?

Bush league referees...Burrows got a penalty for a soft hook (stick parallel with the hands), then on the PK Edler gets cross checked from behind by Simmons to create a scoring chance and Simmons scores. The action was similar to Burrow's action (soft call) and the ref did not call a penalty even though a scoring chance was created by the soft cross check by Simmons. Very inconsistent with the penalty calls / non-calls.

Having said this, the Sedins have reached their ceiling and now are descending the stairs. Our top paid players ($20M/ year value), who are supposed to be our best players, are not good enough. Reality is they are not going to get better. This is the main downfall of this team; people are putting a lot of blame on the secondary scoring or lack of talent, but our best players are far from what they used to be. It's time to cut bait. 

9 minutes ago, AlamoCanuck said:

Anybody else think the fact that Daniel got lumberjacked in the back of the knee last night...(1 ref and 1 linesman look the other way) and WD and the rest of the team didn't try and put #23 through the boards show this team is beyond soft?!?!?!!

They are soft. 

The other night Stecher was hurled into the Calgary goalie and their players piled in on Stecher who had done nothing - now go look at who was on the ice at the time and their sad sack reaction. No wonder we get teams trying to bully us when things don't go their way.

We may not have the toughest team in the league but a joint decision to employ a "one in, all in" attitude, similar to the Bruins would sort teams like Calgary out.

For whatever reason Willie is unwilling to put his best PP options on the ice. You can debate Sedin age or hate on Loui, but the single most glaring issue is no shots during the PP. Literally some nights, no shots at all. Its been obvious for more than one season now that the Sedins together on the PP does not work, and to think it will suddenly pick up and become a top, hell even average, unit is actually insane imo. Its never going to be dominant again. Its 14.5% and sinking. 

If we had an even slightly below average PP they'd be in the last wildcard spot. But there's Megna, losing possession on the 1st unit, or simply doing nothing with the puck over and over again. There's the Sedins cycling to futility waiting for a lane that will never come because everyone knows whats coming and how to defend against the Sedins. Its not a knock on them, it was fantastic for a time but those days are long over. 

The hail mary pass that needed to happen is to split up the Sedins on the PP and have Bo on the 1st unit, but we have a coach who thinks Megna is the key. He must, even with zero success with it game after game he keeps trotting it out. Danny, Bo and Stecher are the players to build the 1st unit around, if its to have any hope at all. But its never been tried, not even once. 

He's like a mule on this point and its the one very obvious thing to do that would have the most impact but nope. But its like he's stuck in some tantric chant and the One Voice is telling him the PP secret.... Megna...Megna...Megna... 

11 hours ago, singularity said:

Can anyone on this team score with intent?  Half our goals are fluke tip-ins, funny bounces or things that accidentally go in.  The strategy seems to be to just throw the occasional puck on the net and hope something goes in.

The Sedins seem to be taking things easy these days, while everyone else is trying to rush in to the offensive zone, they're taking a leisurely stroll to the bench.  

Everything Edler touches turns to crap.  He's worse than a sieve and can't hold anything in the zone, his giveaways are atrocious.  Yeah I know he scored yesterday but it was such a fluke and wasn't skill in any sense.  And all the talk is of trading Burrows and the players who are actually making a difference.

This year and the next seem to be "The Sedin Appreciation Tour".  No matter how bad they are, management seems to think they are owed something.

So true...

what about playing for the crest on the front of the jersey...getting sick of all the accolades without any team results.

9 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

They are soft. 

The other night Stecher was hurled into the Calgary goalie and their players piled in on Stecher who had done nothing - now go look at who was on the ice at the time and their sad sack reaction. No wonder we get teams trying to bully us when things don't go their way.

We may not have the toughest team in the league but a joint decision to employ a "one in, all in" attitude, similar to the Bruins would sort teams like Calgary out.

Benning wants Meat and Potatoes, but buys ingredients for Chicken Noodle Soup. 

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

This is the logic of our coach. Because a career AHLer is a right handed shot he deserves to be on the first unit. Forget about him being successful there or you know, earning it.

What does it matter if he's a right handed shot anyways, the powerplay never gets shots on net. It revolves around cycling around the outside until they either shoot wide from the point or right into the oppositions shin pads. 

It honestly baffles me that a coach could watch this on a nightly basis and not make any big changes.

More likely than not, the pass gets intercepted, bobbled and possession is lost and puck is iced with no shots on net and no attempts for screen, tip or rebound, which equals no scoring chances.

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

The Sedins are washed up and they are going to take a good coach down with them imo

They are too old now to play together on a line five on five. Different story on the pp of course, But I would like to seem our two 36 year olds playing on separate lines now. 

Those old legs are having trouble keeping up and it's only going to get tougher on them.

10 hours ago, Riviera82 said:

I'm thinking it would be best if the Sedins retired at season's end.

Straight up disrespectful to the 2 greatest Canucks to ever play in this city. Jeeze guys, I know they're past their prime, and we got young studs lie Horvat, Stecher etc now, but fans need to show some respect. Since 2000, they have been this team. Enjoy and respect the last remnants of these great NHL, and more importantly, Vancouver Canuck legends, while you still can. 

2 hours ago, orcasgonewild said:

Idk man there's always potential in any draft. Judging by how much u know, u and I both know that it's easier to get young assets through the draft than through a trade. 

We do have assets to move like Edler Miller Hansen Burrows. From all those guys we can get picks and or prospects. Maybe good ones too.

And just a random note: reid Boucher is probably gonna have as many points as Granlund did his first season with us. I feel like he'll have a Granlund like season for us next year if they take him off that fourth line  

I don't mind Boucher and I do agree the trade route is not a bad option 

Archived