The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flyers @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Men against boys. Even if they make the playoff they are out in four or five which is what 2 hime games. OOOh wow.1 Its time to get what you can. No 2017 draft picks, they suck but 2018 is where it is at. We are 3 years away from boys being real men. May as well bring in more young talent now and let them gel as a team Like they did when Burrow and boys were boys and they became winning men It is time and with Expansion meaning we have to give up players too, time to get something for them too. Its time

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

I've never got that impression 

Agreed 

Well if you think about it, he has publicly handicapped the GM and the coach with his statement and we all know if things get to the crunch, it won't be the GM that gets fired (not that he deserves to in this instance)

Having said that you are probably right I doubt Linden wants to fire anyone but it may be forced on him. Whether he would rather resign first - well it may come down to that choice.

17 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We're essentially 5 points out from the playoffs.

Even if Calgary and Nashville or Winnipeg and LA chug along the rest of the way at 6-3-1 pace, that'll give them roughly around 26 more points for the rest of the season. We'll need about 30-32 points to make the playoffs at that rate. Sure one of those 4 teams will go on a real hot run but it's unlikely two teams will do better than a 6-3-1 pace.

If we need say 32 points from here on to make the playoffs, we'll have to play essentially 15-5-2 hockey. Unlikely. Break that down to two stints of 7-2-2 and maybe we can do it, but that's pretty tough considering our competition.

Doesn't look good for the Canucks but we've seen what this team can do, and maybe exactly what an old tired core needs is a week off to brace themselves for a sprint to the finish line. Crazier things have happened, it is possible. If the PP gets going and the Sedins, Edler, Miller and Eriksson get enough rest to play their best hockey of the season in the final 20 games, then we'll make the playoffs. We're playing against very good but not desperate teams.

I believe if we make the playoffs, we'll make some noise, if we don't we'll fade pretty quickly. Lets hope they take it right down to the wire. Blow the high pick, playing in important situations and games is more important for the development of this young core.

Build for next season, don't go all in this year. We are better than our record and our youth movement is well underway, but we do need to get more infusions of talent. Take the positives and improve the prospect pool and roster. 

Any moves that that can be made to add picks and reduce exposure to LV and improve our draft standing should be made now.

This draft has a lot of parity outside of the top 2.  The top 2 may not be generational talents like last year, but they are still very good. The next 4/5 ranked players are all really good prospects and can go along way to rebuilding this franchise. 

Horvat, Baer, Granlund, Stecher, Trymakin and Hutton (honourable mention to 'Give me a goal' Gaunce) are the future players for this franchise. They have all taken positive strides this year.  They represent the core of the new team that needs to add a game breaker or two.  

Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood, Brisebois, Juolevi and Demko are one to two seasons away.  4 out of 6 of those players will make the roster guaranteed in two years.   

Virtannen is getting the 'Steve Austin' treatment and hopefully they can rebuild him.  That's at least a 3rd liner. 

More than anything replace Willie and his moustache with a good coach.

EW

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Isn't it more disrespectful to put them in a position to fail night after night? That PP isn't working and hasn't for nearly 2 seasons. Why continue to put them out there like that knowing its going to fail? The should be in more of a mentoring role now, not what Willie is doing with them. 

WD needs to go at the end of the year.

I will give LE a second chance next year under a different coach.

Next year we might be looking at Boeser, Gaudette and another shot at training camp for Jake.  We might also get a decent first round pick.

55 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Well if you think about it, he has publicly handicapped the GM and the coach with his statement and we all know if things get to the crunch, it won't be the GM that gets fired (not that he deserves to in this instance)

Having said that you are probably right I doubt Linden wants to fire anyone but it may be forced on him. Whether he would rather resign first - well it may come down to that choice.

History has proven that a coach will always get fired before a captain is moved....and wd, as well as he had done with these horses, simply doesn't have the NHL resume to prop up with compared to some others who have gotten the axe.

but this is all dramatic anyway as I would be shocked of any discord amongst wd, linden and the twins.

wd may not be re signed but he won't be fired and I'd say that could be seen as fair.

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

WD needs to go at the end of the year.

I will give LE a second chance next year under a different coach.

Next year we might be looking at Boeser, Gaudette and another shot at training camp for Jake.  We might also get a decent first round pick.

Or sooner. 

18 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

For whatever reason Willie is unwilling to put his best PP options on the ice. You can debate Sedin age or hate on Loui, but the single most glaring issue is no shots during the PP. Literally some nights, no shots at all. Its been obvious for more than one season now that the Sedins together on the PP does not work, and to think it will suddenly pick up and become a top, hell even average, unit is actually insane imo. Its never going to be dominant again. Its 14.5% and sinking. 

If we had an even slightly below average PP they'd be in the last wildcard spot. But there's Megna, losing possession on the 1st unit, or simply doing nothing with the puck over and over again. There's the Sedins cycling to futility waiting for a lane that will never come because everyone knows whats coming and how to defend against the Sedins. Its not a knock on them, it was fantastic for a time but those days are long over. 

The hail mary pass that needed to happen is to split up the Sedins on the PP and have Bo on the 1st unit, but we have a coach who thinks Megna is the key. He must, even with zero success with it game after game he keeps trotting it out. Danny, Bo and Stecher are the players to build the 1st unit around, if its to have any hope at all. But its never been tried, not even once. 

He's like a mule on this point and its the one very obvious thing to do that would have the most impact but nope. But its like he's stuck in some tantric chant and the One Voice is telling him the PP secret.... Megna...Megna...Megna... 

That is one short sighted way of seeing it S'all but it bears little resemblance to reality.

Agreed the problem is the Sedins, and I have no idea how Willie gets round it other than splitting them up. I know what I would do but I'd probably be fired the next day. :o

It's your point about Megna that is short sighted and it seems if you can't see what he is good at you will never understand.

Megna has high speed but that high speed unlike some is with the puck under control, he has good hands, excellent vision and can offload Baertschi like passes and lastly he is a workhorse, able to cover for Sedin lapses  - that is why he was on the Sedin line. Hansen is a great player but he does his best work off the rush and is an excellent player for a team playing the trap type game. That said he is not the same player at close quarters (he used to be called unfairly stone hands if you recall) that is why Willie said "he plays best off the rush" 

PP are not designed to be "off the rush" they are meant to be close quarter control and pressure, with slick passing around the opponents goal.

Let Jim Benning help you out.

"“Jayson brings a combination of size, speed and skill to our team adding depth to our forward group this season,” said Jim Benning. “He has the ability to catch the opposition off-guard with deceptive speed and brings a willingness to play in the difficult areas around the net and in the corners. We’re pleased to be able to add Jayson to the team.”

Or Hockey's Future

"He possesses above average speed and skill and has shown to have good one-on-one abilities and soft hands in tight. He is a willing combatant in the corners."

Now granted, I don't see "goal scorer" there but if he was I doubt we would have landed him. There are 4 others on the PP to score goals, 2 in particular made their name from it and so, in the absence of Baertschi we have a player who if he does what he is advertised at, then he he is worth his place in the the team and temporarily on the PP. 

I don't imagine any of this changes your mind but it may help the more reasonable and open minded posters to realise why he is playing on the PP at this time.

13 hours ago, Nice Finnish said:

Is management still under the impression this team can make the playoffs? If they are that delusional, this trade deadline is going to be another disappointment. 

I'm afraid this might happen, there is interest around the league with Miller and Benning may not even do anything with that.

At this point of the season I do not understand the unwillingness of our coaching staff to try something different with our powerplay. Anything. Utterly headshakingly unbelievable. A stationary, pass first set up that has slow puck movement that is the most predictable unit in pro hockey. Hanson? Tryamkin in front? One timers? Split unit Sedin's? Bo with Sedin's ? Change? Nope. Megma? Yup. How can you say something won't work if you don't even try it but continue to do the same thing over and over with such poor results? I guess Willy is a stealth tank driver as he must know we have a better chance at 1st overall draft position than making the playoffs.

17 hours ago, harpdog said:

Men against boys. Even if they make the playoff they are out in four or five which is what 2 hime games. OOOh wow.1 Its time to get what you can. No 2017 draft picks, they suck but 2018 is where it is at. We are 3 years away from boys being real men. May as well bring in more young talent now and let them gel as a team Like they did when Burrow and boys were boys and they became winning men It is time and with Expansion meaning we have to give up players too, time to get something for them too. Its time

What are you dribbling about "We are 3 years away from boys being real men"? Did you read that in a fortune cookie?

1 hour ago, Creepy Crawler said:

I'm afraid this might happen, there is interest around the league with Miller and Benning may not even do anything with that.

And why should he? Markstrom is "flaky" to say the least and Demko apparently is having a melt down in Utica. 

When you are icing a load of young players (and we will probably ice more next season) the last thing you want is a "sieve " in goal.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Let Jim Benning help you out.

"“Jayson brings a combination of size, speed and skill to our team adding depth to our forward group this season,” said Jim Benning. “He has the ability to catch the opposition off-guard with deceptive speed and brings a willingness to play in the difficult areas around the net and in the corners. We’re pleased to be able to add Jayson to the team.”

Or Hockey's Future

"He possesses above average speed and skill and has shown to have good one-on-one abilities and soft hands in tight. He is a willing combatant in the corners."

Now granted, I don't see "goal scorer" there but if he was I doubt we would have landed him. There are 4 others on the PP to score goals, 2 in particular made their name from it and so, in the absence of Baertschi we have a player who if he does what he is advertised at, then he he is worth his place in the the team and temporarily on the PP. 

I don't imagine any of this changes your mind but it may help the more reasonable and open minded posters to realise why he is playing on the PP at this time.

Thats all great, I believe those would be called "forward looking statements" in the financial world.

And no I'm not short-sighted, I can read a box score just fine. Megna has not produced, period, full stop. At some point you have to look at actual results and make a call on an attempt at a line or PP unit. 

I get it, he's fast, and is right handed. Oops, can't do much with the puck tho. 

"Hansen scores of the rush" so don't try him on the PP? On this team?? Please. Hansen is more skilled than Meggy on every account. To me this is a good example of Willie's stubborn ways, if you're looking for an excuse not to use Hansen over a career AHLr something is wrong.

Archived