The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flyers @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

12 hours ago, 250Integra said:

I get it that we're in the middle of a "rebuild" so I'm expecting a sub-par / losing season, but PLEASE get Megna off of the first PP unit. It would make watching the games much more bearable.

I know he's not the sole issue of our PP woes, but there is no way an player of his caliber should be on either of the units especially when you have Sutter and Hansen sitting on the bench.

and Horvat 

1 hour ago, Mr.53 said:

Straight up disrespectful to the 2 greatest Canucks to ever play in this city. Jeeze guys, I know they're past their prime, and we got young studs lie Horvat, Stecher etc now, but fans need to show some respect. Since 2000, they have been this team. Enjoy and respect the last remnants of these great NHL, and more importantly, Vancouver Canuck legends, while you still can. 

A fan has a right to think what they want. Who doesn't respect the Sedins? They're winding down fast and fan respect isn't going to cloak that.

1 hour ago, Mr.53 said:

Straight up disrespectful to the 2 greatest Canucks to ever play in this city. Jeeze guys, I know they're past their prime, and we got young studs lie Horvat, Stecher etc now, but fans need to show some respect. Since 2000, they have been this team. Enjoy and respect the last remnants of these great NHL, and more importantly, Vancouver Canuck legends, while you still can. 

That's the point. Most of us are not enjoying it like we used to.

No one goes on forever and unfortunately the Sedins were never blessed with speed or physicality to begin with so any diminution of these qualities due to age, has a greater knock on effect than to say the likes of Jagr or Iginla. Players like Crosby, Kane, Nash, etc will go on longer because they have that speed or physicality.

Where do you get off calling that disrespectful? They are playing like 3rd liners and next year who knows, maybe fourth liners. There is no doubt the will is there but they just don't have it any more and that's no disgrace at 36 years of age.

2 hours ago, Mr.53 said:

Isn't it more disrespectful to put them in a position to fail night after night? That PP isn't working and hasn't for nearly 2 seasons. Why continue to put them out there like that knowing its going to fail? The should be in more of a mentoring role now, not what Willie is doing with them. 

I love the Sedins, but in the same breath, they look like they should be playing in the NHL Legends old timers game. They used to be so strong on the puck, a game of "keep-away" was fun for them I'm sure. But now, they're easily knocked off the puck, losing battles along the boards more often and playing like they're just a step behind the play. Still, they are Canucks legends and we've all been very fortunate to have witnessed two great players like they've been. Nearing the end of an era.

But it's time to look to the future, not dwell on the past.

13 hours ago, b3. said:

I also really like Stech, I appreciate how he works his tail off. But he needs to work on getting his shots through, numerous blocked shots, especially on the PP.

I was wondering last night if he is playing through a wrist injury.  His shot doesn't seem as good recently, and he has whiffed on a few too many passes lately.  

Could be he is just tired, not being used to the workload.  He has played more games this year than in any college season (which I know is shorter), and of course against tougher competition.  He stepped up well earlier this year... maybe he is just starting to burn out.

36 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I was wondering last night if he is playing through a wrist injury.  His shot doesn't seem as good recently, and he has whiffed on a few too many passes lately.  

Could be he is just tired, not being used to the workload.  He has played more games this year than in any college season (which I know is shorter), and of course against tougher competition.  He stepped up well earlier this year... maybe he is just starting to burn out.

I think it is fatigue... he's playing 19-20 minutes a night and always involved physically. I'm not saying he is out there rocking guys, but he is definitely battling.

.... and there is no way he is actually 190lbs. 

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

I think it is fatigue... he's playing 19-20 minutes a night and always involved physically. I'm not saying he is out there rocking guys, but he is definitely battling.

.... and there is no way he is actually 190lbs. 

Agreed. The more I think about it, fatigue is more likely an issue than injury.  I wonder how much this week will do for him.

Sure glad he is on the team.  It will be nice to see what he turns into over the course of the next few years.  The endurance will come, and I assume he bulks up a little.  Then watch him go to town.  I love how tenacious a checker he is.  He knows he doesn't have the size, but he is so good with the stick fishing the puck out that he helps make up for his shortcomings.

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

My point is the Sedins (much as I have loved them for the past 10 years) are what makes this team "stale" on some nights. Can an under pressure coach who is new to the NHL drop them, I doubt it because I doubt if many coaches would feel able to drop them. Linden sounds like he would rather fire the coach.

I realise and have said often enough that we have no ready replacements but I would still like to see them split up or shuffle everyone up a line and drop them to 4th line - even if it was only for a few games. And get them off the PP for goodness sake, I honestly couldn't see alternatives doing any worse.

I defend the coach often against what I consider unfair (in our rebuild circumstances) criticism but I can't agree with his continued and misplaced loyalty imo to playing them together. It's killing us and the fact Loui is taking so long to find his feet is not helping.

People attack Megna and the 4th line but the sad fact is we get far more energy, compete, speed etc from these players than we get from Loui and the Sedins.

I've never got that impression 

Agreed 

3 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Agreed. The more I think about it, fatigue is more likely an issue than injury.  I wonder how much this week will do for him.

Sure glad he is on the team.  It will be nice to see what he turns into over the course of the next few years.  The endurance will come, and I assume he bulks up a little.  Then watch him go to town.  I love how tenacious a checker he is.  He knows he doesn't have the size, but he is so good with the stick fishing the puck out that he helps make up for his shortcomings.

He's been my favorite to watch this season. Bo, undoubtedly, is the team's best and most exciting player, but the Canucks have spent so long without a shifty, PMD that I now more than ever appreciate what Stetcher brings. None of the other dmen on this team know how to move laterally across the blueline to open up a lane like Stetcher does. 

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

People attack Megna and the 4th line but the sad fact is we get far more energy, compete, speed etc from these players than we get from Loui and the Sedins.

I think most are upset with WD's use of Megna rather than the performance of the team's 4th line guys.

Megna is performing on PP1 exactly how a 4th line/AHL bubble guy would be expected to play in that role.

3 hours ago, Mr.53 said:

I can still respect them but I can no longer enjoy them, they're not fun to watch and to me have become aggravating.

The logo on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back.

8 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I think most are upset with WD's use of Megna rather than the performance of the team's 4th line guys.

Megna is performing on PP1 exactly how a 4th line/AHL bubble guy would be expected to play in that role.

I'm not sure if this stat is accurate, but I heard on 1040 that he's had 3 shots over his 51 minutes of PP time. If that's accurate, why on earth doesn't WD change things up.

Archived