The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flyers @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Acquilini's are paying too many other coaches off at the moment. Their just trying to ride it out with Willie to save a few bucks.

Who knows maybe they'll give Mike Keenan a shout.

There's a debt consolidation service that used to advertise on T1040. Aquilini should give them a call.

34 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Erikkson's cumulative effort this year has been nothing less than shameful. 

At least Vrbata was never shy about sniping the puck at the net. He made plays occasionally as well, though nothing flashy.

The mgmt boasted when they signed Eriksson that not only he can score just as well, but also more defensively responsible and can kill penalties.

Right.

The offensive qualities can't be any more obvious with his non-existent shot attempts and driving to the net. His defensive prowess is well represented by his bent-forward-and-stick-waving backcheck while skating no more than 3 strides.

Oh and the team's PK? 73% for the season.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"He's a right-handed shot." - Desjardins, on why he uses Megna on PP unit #1

Oh come on :picard: If that's your reasoning then why didn't Virtanen get any time? No one with a straight face can tell me he wouldn't be a better option than Megna. My god. 

46 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Be careful there captain.

You may come back rested but your team's season may rest in peace soon after, considering the teams you'll face after the break.

Stringing wins together will surely please your bosses, but unless it's happening anytime soon it will be better never than late. Remember what the California Sweep did late last season?

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Loui Eriksson's effort on the second Flyers goal was brutal.

You can't win with players that float on the backcheck.

How did we give this guy a NMC? Seriously? You pay a player market value you shouldn't have to include a No Movement.

JB wanted Eriksson more than Eriksson wanted to play in Vancouver therefore NMC.  I don't like it but that is likely what got him to come here.   His request for a bonus structure that makes his contract unmovable, should have been a warning to JB that this guy was looking for a retirement deal and a gravy train to ride into the sunset.  

8 minutes ago, Pears said:

Oh come on :picard: If that's your reasoning then why didn't Virtanen get any time? No one with a straight face can tell me he wouldn't be a better option than Megna. My god. 

Guess Virt doesn't have that megnatic personality.

And the coach's face might be crooked slightly, which entitles him to say just that...

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

Desjardins is helping our chances of getting a top 3 pick. Something we all want, and need. If we bring in a new coach and string together wins people will say we should be rebuilding and focusing on the draft.

Management is damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

I've been saying for a long time, fire the coach and yet they haven't made a move.  4 months ago, I've been calling for his head and the opportunity to save the season is too late now.   Also, the way the schedule is set up for a whole season, the Canucks lose about 10 points due to brutal scheduling with many back to back games on the road then first game back home from the trip effect involves a back to back home games.   Just a bad schedule there and actually screwed the Canucks with 5 days off.  

I also have been suggesting that the Canucks start the season on the east coast trip after the training camp in Utica.  Baseball is coming up and why couldn't they build a training camp away from the city just like baseball?   Holding a few of preseason home games in Utica and start out on the road and their body clock would be in east time zone for 1 1/2 months, 3 weeks of training camp plus 3 more weeks on road for 5-8 games.  With that arrangement, they would be at par with eastern conference teams' annual average with many days off at their main base, 2-3 days off every 3rd game and still be fresh for 4th-6th games then another 2-3 days off then play 2-3 more before go home would be ideal and still save a lot of time in the air because goalie takes longer to recover from dehydration.  I did not know about this topic until last fall and thought about ways to reduce wear and tear from being on the plane.   I also hope that the NHL scrap their bye week or start their season a week early. 

With the back to back games, you are already seen the true effect of the Canucks' performance at home which is horrendous.   They will come out flat after 5th day off against the Sharks.  

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Willie looks super defeated in the post-presser. 

Willie D. = dead man walking.  Please, someone take him out to the back of the wood shed and put him out of his NHL misery (mods: this is a metaphor...I'm not actually advocating that anyone does Willie any harm).

And while someone is at it, do the same to Jarvis, the so-called powerplay guru who either: (a) can't get the players (i.e., the Sedins) to buy into his pp schemes; or (b) can't design and implement effective pp schemes for players (i.e., the Sedins) to execute.  As someone mentioned already, the pp was downright embarrassing.

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Best thing that could have happened to this team

Here here!

I was afraid when it looked like we were going to win the Flames game in regulation but then a miracle on ice happened.

5 days till the next game and 10 days till the deadline...

Image result for sell mortimer sell gif

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Loui Eriksson's effort on the second Flyers goal was brutal.

You can't win with players that float on the backcheck.

How did we give this guy a NMC? Seriously? You pay a player market value you shouldn't have to include a No Movement.

We all know that's the nature of the beast with big UFA signings.

Every marquee UFA who signed last offseason got a NMC included in their contract. Ladder, Okposo and Lucic you can bet! 

I'm also disappointed with his season so far as I'm sure he is to. Scoring in our own net the first game against Calgary was the worst thing that could have happened to a guy like him. Embarassing to do and way over blown by media and fans alike. I am guilty to of photoshopping a loui Eriksson trading card myself. (However I always just felt bad for him and Gudbranson on the play and didn't care at all otherwise) You can tell from his interviews he is a shy person and it's obviously hard for him to fit in and get his game going on a new team. IMO Vancouver is the one of the worst markets a guy like him could have signed in when looking at his stats and past struggles starting on new team. Will be hard for him to get going with fans and media breathing down his neck.

As for the backcheck.... I think his effort has been there, and every player gets caught from time to time. It would be hard to argue that loui Eriksson is not good defensively. Soft? Perhaps.. but this is a swede we're talking about ;)

Personally I'm going to give him another year before I let him bother me.

3 hours ago, 1-d said:

He takes the "No Movement" clause too literally and practices it on the ice.

Nice one 1-d. You made my day. Sadly. I've been waiting for him to show a lot more effort. Ah, he's still practicing on the ice? Mystery solved. Still supporting him and hope he figures it out next year if not this one if he's still here, most likely he is.

Archived