The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Astronomers discover 7 Earth-sized planets orbiting nearby star

thejazz97

All of the planets would be tidally locked. And with red dwarf stars, the radiation would likely prevent most life (as we know it) due to the sheer number of solar flares known to occur on red dwarf stars. Might be life on "g'' or "h", due to a thicker atmosphere (more mass=more gravity) but only near to the outside edges of light exposure. I wouldn't expect anything larger than a worm or mushroom size plants. Sorry, @Alflives, no relatives here!

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Flush Nasa down the sh*tter & use their ill-gotten gains to promote peace & equality.

If distant life forms witnessed(them looking at US) how we've(the first world, per se) treated 90% of the planet's humans, they'd probably be frickenTerrified!

NASA's budget is pretty tiny actually. And lets be honest, its not just the first world that treats them like $&!#, its pretty much everyone that does it, and has been that way through human history. One day maybe we will actually get a society that gets past that but we are a long ways from it right now.

Just now, yoshiyoshi said:

NASA's budget is pretty tiny actually. And lets be honest, its not just the first world that treats them like $&!#, its pretty much everyone that does it, and has been that way through human history. One day maybe we will actually get a society that gets past that but we are a long ways from it right now.

All reasonable, & no silly debates would crack this chestnut, at any rate. I see tripe like these Star Trek-fantasies as more symptoms of our collective illness(myopia?) rather than the proverbial cause.

~Einstein's always good for a quote!

"The only difference between genius & stupid, is genius has it's limits."  :^)

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

All reasonable, & no silly debates would crack this chestnut, at any rate. I see tripe like these Star Trek-fantasies as more symptoms of our collective illness(myopia?) rather than the proverbial cause.

~Einstein's always good for a quote!

"The only difference between genius & stupid, is genius has it's limits."  :^)

actually if you disagree, provide evidence to support your opinion, its quite easy to have a debate. I dont even understand your second sentence so ill ignore it

2 minutes ago, yoshiyoshi said:

actually if you disagree, provide evidence to support your opinion, its quite easy to have a debate. I dont even understand your second sentence so ill ignore it

Be interpretive & read into it what you'd prefer. To me, debates are for donut shops..you'd best locate another poster, who'd dedicate more than 2 seconds to this nonsense.

Have a good day :^)

1 hour ago, Father Ryan said:

All of the planets would be tidally locked. And with red dwarf stars, the radiation would likely prevent most life (as we know it) due to the sheer number of solar flares known to occur on red dwarf stars. Might be life on "g'' or "h", due to a thicker atmosphere (more mass=more gravity) but only near to the outside edges of light exposure. I wouldn't expect anything larger than a worm or mushroom size plants. Sorry, @Alflives, no relatives here!

Radiation isn't necessarily a detriment to life. Just like heat and light isn't. It would be odd to us but not at all a hard barrier.

The tidal issue is bigger, you're right. Tides are so important to our bioshpere to the point that they can't be understated.

Whether the planet's close proximity to each other, or to the star, would have an appropriate effect, I doubt anyone is able to say yet. That's some serious math required to figure that out.

10 minutes ago, theminister said:

Radiation isn't necessarily a detriment to life. Just like heat and light isn't. It would be odd to us but not at all a hard barrier.

The tidal issue is bigger, you're right. Tides are so important to our bioshpere to the point that they can't be understated.

Whether the planet's close proximity to each other, or to the star, would have an appropriate effect, I doubt anyone is able to say yet. That's some serious math required to figure that out.

I can't fully do the math, but...for that many planets to exist in that small of a space (relatively, anyway), there would almost have to be a synchronicity to their orbits. Certainly the gravitational effects on the cores  of the planets would likely have the 3rd through 6th planet end up warmer overall than would be expected without gravity. Look at Europa and Io, circling Jupiter. At that distance from the Sun, both of those bodies should have cooled off completely and be volcanically inert/dead. Instead, Io really fits many descriptions of Hell, and Europa likely has more liquid water than the Earth.

Oh, and the solar flares/radiation. This isn't ordinary flares. These flares likely are big enough to actually encompass the closest planets. We are not talking radiation in terms of hundreds of rads; more like hundreds of thousands! Any atmospheres would be ionized instantly.

For those talking about tidal lock, wouldn't the regular proximity of the other planets have a significant and variable impact?

Here we have planets that are about 40 times the mass of the Moon (e and f; g of course is about twice as massive as the other two), with the nearest passing as close as twice the distance from Earth to the Moon. 

1 minute ago, Father Ryan said:

I can't fully do the math, but...for that many planets to exist in that small of a space (relatively, anyway), there would almost have to be a synchronicity to their orbits. Certainly the gravitational effects on the cores  of the planets would likely have the 3rd through 6th planet end up warmer overall than would be expected without gravity. Look at Europa and Io, circling Jupiter. At that distance from the Sun, both of those bodies should have cooled off completely and be volcanically inert/dead. Instead, Io really fits many descriptions of Hell, and Europa likely has more liquid water than the Earth.

Oh, and the solar flares/radiation. This isn't ordinary flares. These flares likely are big enough to actually encompass the closest planets. We are not talking radiation in terms of hundreds of rads; more like hundreds of thousands! Any atmospheres would be ionized instantly.

I suppose there's a wide range of possibilities. In some ways, as you alluded to with io and Europa, the proximity to each other may actually help vulcanism and keep a molten core. Now, depending on the composition, that may help keep an ionosphere, which may be magnitudes greater than ours, that may repel levels of radiation ours wouldn't. In some ways they could be 'dark' planets, with thick atmospheres and ionospheres that block out most things. The life there may be extremophiles but that might not preclude them from being advanced, not anymore than they would consider us soft. The solar flares... can't comment... I don;t know if and how they have a direct effect on each one of the planets. As you suggest though, the inner planets may act as barriers to the outer planets though, if they are aligned, the same way Jupiter protects us from meteors. 

Again, I have no idea what the rads would be like on the surface, or deep under the surface, and how life might be perfectly adapted to that environment. The universe is probably able to spew out stranger things than we can possibly imagine.

9 minutes ago, Kragar said:

For those talking about tidal lock, wouldn't the regular proximity of the other planets have a significant and variable impact?

Here we have planets that are about 40 times the mass of the Moon (e and f; g of course is about twice as massive as the other two), with the nearest passing as close as twice the distance from Earth to the Moon. 

I believe the point would be that if they have the same orbital period relative to each other that they wouldn't pull on the surface in the same way. It wouldn't oscillate like having our moon. They would simply pull to the centre. It might be a tide of sorts but not like ours at all. You need a moon to do that. Of course, if we don't know about the moons, and the exact relation to the rotation of the planets, anything might be possible. It could be violent or it could be calm.

edit: however, if the orbital periods are not aligned then that raises an interesting question... there would be significant pull from each planet for a section their 'year' but not on others when they are on the far side of the star. That could create a very strange seasonal phenomenon.

2 minutes ago, theminister said:

I believe the point would be that if they have the same orbital period relative to each other that they wouldn't pull on the surface in the same way. It wouldn't oscillate like having our moon. They would simply pull to the centre. It might be a tide of sorts but not like ours at all. You need a moon to do that. Of course, if we don't know about the moons, and the exact relation to the rotation of the planets, anything might be possible. It could be violent or it could be calm.

Makes sense.  The orbits are different, but after reading your post just now, I could see it being milder because they don't orbit the planet like the moon does.  So, there would be a larger object, passing near enough to be felt.  The direction of the planet's relative orbits and length of the day on a given planet would dictate how long each tide lasts there.

It's enough to make my head spin, that's for sure :)

3 hours ago, Dittohead said:

If there is intelligent life we would of detected signals Decades ago.  Unless they haven't invented a radio yet.  

I know nothing about this.

It's my understanding that radio waves travel at the same rate as light? So it would take radio waves from Earth about 40 years to reach these planets?

So we'd be bombarding them with disco at this point?

4 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

With those orbits, the change of seasons must be crazy unless the planets are tidal locked

They are tidal locked. If any of them are able to sustain any kind of complex life, it is almost certainly only along the equator of said planets. Dark side would be freezing, basically a frozen hell. Side facing the sun would be baked.

2 minutes ago, Glory_Days said:

They are tidal locked. If any of them are able to sustain any kind of complex life, it is almost certainly only along the equator of said planets. Dark side would be freezing, basically a frozen hell. Side facing the sun would be baked.

I don't get why we even care about planets that are impossible for us to even fathom reaching inside of several million years.  

Archived