The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

9 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

I'l admit I haven't been following Dahlen much this last couple of months,  anyone want to fill me in on why he hasn't went to the SHL?  I thought he was going to sign with a club after Christmas time?

Plenty of interest and reportedly a few SHL offers, but Dahlén chose loyalty to Timrå over moving up to the SHL.

The post right above yours gets into the details.

I believe Dahlén was quoted saying something like “what kind of heart would I have if I left Timrå now?”

Timrå currently sits first in HockeyAllsvenskan and hopefully will qualify for the SHL next season (with Dahlén’s help).

• Upvote 1

If Goldy learns how to backcheck by next year a line of:   Dahlen / Pettersson / Goldobin might end up being the most skilled line in the whole show....just saying...as they say....

There is not much meat there so I would probably rather have Jake or MacEwen with them ...even Erikkson might work alright...something has to get Eriksson going or we have 5 more years with $6M anchor on our hands....he did have a few moments this season at least and fairly stout defense, not many give aways compared to last year...or Gagme....who is injured just before the TDL...hmmmm....

///Dahlen / Pettersson //  ???  by TDL next year this will be answered...!

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

I'l admit I haven't been following Dahlen much this last couple of months,  anyone want to fill me in on why he hasn't went to the SHL?  I thought he was going to sign with a club after Christmas time?

There is virtually no difference between the top team in the A. versus the bottom team in the SHL because they swap spots in a relegation / promotion tourney's....

Unless he ended up going to EP's team it really made no sense to move up anyway....

• Thanks 1

I would prefer Dahlen and Pettersson to be playing in Utica next year. Reasons being they can get used to American sized ice, get stronger, build chemistry, allows Pettersson to develop as a C and most importantly...keep them out of the $&!# show that the Canucks will be next year. 

This team is not going to be better next year but in two years I think we will be a playoff team with Bo, Brock, Juolevi, Demko, Pettersson, Dahlen, Dahlin(oh god please), Gaudette leading the charge.

13 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

Here's good article on his progression over this year without Pettersson, and his loyalty to supporting his team rather than going for the almighty dollar.

I hope he can bring it right to to the big club at some point next year with Pettersson by his side!

http://www.eliteprospects.com/article.php?id=253

It was unquestionably a strange sight. As crowds were pouring out of NHK Arena, satisfied with hometown team Timrå IK’s convincing 2-0 victory over hated rivals Modo Hockey, there seemed to be a contingent of fans that weren’t headed for the exits at all. In fact, they were moving closer to the ice. To an outside observer it would seem like they were waiting for something. As the minutes went by, it would turn out that they were in fact waiting for someone… that someone being Jonathan Dahlén.

Before we continue, let’s back it up a bit to further set the scene.

The event I am attempting to describe took place mere weeks ago. The 20-year old Swedish phenomenon Dahlén hadn’t just set the hearts of Timrå IK fans on fire up to that point, he’d also burned the scoresheets of Swedish HockeyAllsvenskan to a crisp. Rumors had begun swirling around Dahlén though. Ever since news broke that he had an “out-clause” in his contract that was set to expire on February 15th, fans demanded to know: Would he move up a tier and sign in the SHL? Would he forego a larger paycheck and stay with Timrå? Would the Vancouver Canucks go so far as to bring him overseas right then and there?

Suddenly, Dahlén came out from the NHK Arena dressing room and skated onto the ice. As he got closer to the hundreds of fans who were clamoring to know the details of his future, he put one finger to his lips and called for silence. The arena went quiet as the fans leaned in as close to the ice as they possibly could. Dahlén paused for a second and then exclaimed:

“I’m staying!”

He didn’t have to say more. A loud roar reverberated through the arena – legends say the roar can still be heard around the city of Timrå – as Dahlén made sure to clap his hands and thank the fans that had stayed out to wait as he made his way back to the dressing room.

”Only a heartless fool would leave this team. My heart is in the right place so I’ll be staying here. I see us having a real shot at promotion here. As long as we do, I’m not going anywhere”, he told Swedish broadcaster C More when asked about the decision.

It hasn’t been all sunshine and rainbows for Dahlén in 2017-18, though. As September rolled around Dahlén showed up to Canucks training camp eager to impress the coaching staff only to be struck by mononucleosis. The illness kept him out for most of camp and quickly dashed any hopes he might’ve had of making the NHL this season.

A humbled Dahlén returned to Timrå determined to improve upon his previous season – a campaign in which he scored 44 points (25+19) in 45 games playing with fellow Canucks’ prospect Elias Pettersson. With Pettersson now in the SHL producing at a point-per-game pace for Växjö Lakers, Dahlén suddenly found himself the main target for opposing teams’ defenders.

How things turned out?

Well, considering Timrå is pacing the entire HockeyAllsvenskan in points and Dahlén leads the team with 37 points (20+17) in 36 games, it is safe to say he has lived up to expectations.

As famed NBC announcer Pierre McGuire usually says: “Canucks fans, get excited about this kid – he’s going to be the real deal!”

Not only is Dahlén incredibly skilled with the puck, he also has a wicked release and possesses excellent vision which allows him to get the most out of his ability to hang on to the puck for just the right amount of time. Furthermore, he already has a full season of playing on the same roster – often the same line – as Elias Pettersson under his belt. With Pettersson poised to make the Canucks roster next season, putting Dahlén on the same line could ignite instant chemistry and create that “rookie scoring line” GMs salivate over.

On top of it all Dahlén is just a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. Odds are he’s been approached with lucrative offers by clubs from all over the SHL as well as the rest of Europe – yet he’s decided to remain with the same team he’s been with for four years in order to help them secure a promotion to the top division.

Vancouver Canucks fans; if that doesn’t tell you what you need to know about this young prospect then I don’t know what will.

Wow, great story. Just another Swede who puts team goals ahead of money and individual success. I was bummed when we didn't draft him and was stoked when we got him,It cant be understated enough the impact him and pets will have on each other. We are in for A special treat next year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I would prefer Dahlen and Pettersson to be playing in Utica next year. Reasons being they can get used to American sized ice, get stronger, build chemistry, allows Pettersson to develop as a C and most importantly...keep them out of the $&!# show that the Canucks will be next year. 

This team is not going to be better next year but in two years I think we will be a playoff team with Bo, Brock, Juolevi, Demko, Pettersson, Dahlen, Dahlin(oh god please), Gaudette leading the charge.

I think if Demko is ready next year we will be A playoff team. Look at LV Or NJ etc Plus adding Petterson Dhalin Gaudette lind maybe A few others. Plus one of probably Dhalen Bovquist Zadina Scenchnicov Brady or Bouchard along with some of the better Vets Tanev Edler Sutter Granny Sven were not looking that bad, Look at it this way, with our pp if our PK and GAA and save% were say top 15 this team would be in the playoffs right now. Add all that plus more scoring next year and I will be surprised if we don't make the playoffs next year, Also don't forget the huge amount of cap room we have,

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

So your plan is that all of our rookies will make it, demko will play as a #1, we will suddenly get amazing scoring output and every other poor atribute in our game will be magically fixed?

Maybe ownership is right. This fanbase doesn't have patience for a rebuild.

not sure if you are referring to my post or not. All I was saying is that If Demko can step in next year and be the guy we all know he should become, that will cut down or GAA. Now depending on who we draft. If its A dman, fingers crossed on Dhalen we could have A top 6 of Edler Tanev, OJ Dhalen maybe A UFA or A trade. If not Delzotto and poosalot ( i used that name first seems to have caught on, boy did I take crap pardon the pun when I used it lol)  With anyone of Holm Brisbois or stech as the 7th guy. Our top 9 hopefully if the rooks show it will be A nice mix  I think Vaneck and the twins based on the disrespect of linden towards the twins, and since all 3 seem to be A package deal I'm not sure if they will be back. Either way for Linden of all people to disrespect the 2 best players ever to wear this uniform is sad, This is just me but I see A top 9 of BO Brock Sven Dhalen Petterson Gaudette the twins Vaneck and Virt. With Virt and Dhalen splitting time with granny and Sutter on the 4th. With Louie and goldie in the box rotating with whoever is playing poorly. Not ideal, but if the rooks outperform the vets, whadda you going to do? And that's not including Lind Gadonavich or if we draft A forward this year. or we can pull A Colorado and go young. I guess it really comes back to Thatch As we all know an elite goalie can cover a lot of mistakes young guys might make.This also doesn't include any trades.

I am nobody just A fan with some thoughts. I hope people instead of attacking me will give there two cents. Do we need the twins and Vaneck? Gags has got to go. Louie is good defensively and can be A good role model. That being said if he is impeding say Dhalin for instance then send him to Utica. He still gets his 6 mill.

Again not sure if this was directed towards me. All I was saying was best case scenario with Demko 3rd in save% on A crap team plus most of our rookies at the top of there league in ppg or points the future is brighter than it ever was. Plus over 20 mill in cap space to0 go out and sign A couple of players and yes the Canucks could very easily be fighting for the weak Pacific, No Disrespect meant, especially since I'm only 90% sure you are quoting my post, but if you are you want to explain why instead of oh I dunno using some facts to prove your point instead you just bash what I say. Is that how you act in the real world? Whats wrong with having an actual convo? funny thing is if we were at A bar discussing this I highly doubt your attitude would be so bold. since I'm 6,8 364 and all my friends enjoy riding Harleys. Not A threat in any way. Just showing how the littlest twits act so tough on the computer. Again let me reiterate I am not saying that is the kind of person you are but based on your comments you were towing the line. Me I'm A nice guy, but you talk like that to other people and they might be offended over it.Over what? to guys who both love the Canucks yet we can't even respect each other? What is this Detroit?         

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, bp79 said:

not sure if you are referring to my post or not. All I was saying is that If Demko can step in next year and be the guy we all know he should become, that will cut down or GAA. Now depending on who we draft.

Remember though how long it took Schneider to establish himself.  Bringing Demko in next season would be about a year ahead of projection, and at best we would expect him to be a backup.  Anything's possible, but we don't want to rush or spoil this guy; we have the time to be patient and get him properly developed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Remember though how long it took Schneider to establish himself.  Bringing Demko in next season would be about a year ahead of projection, and at best we would expect him to be a backup.  Anything's possible, but we don't want to rush or spoil this guy; we have the time to be patient and get him properly developed.

Yes but a backup that could potentially win games   ....  we need a backup for next year, Nilsson won't be here I'm pretty sure of that.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bp79 said:

not sure if you are referring to my post or not. All I was saying is that If Demko can step in next year and be the guy we all know he should become, that will cut down or GAA. Now depending on who we draft. If its A dman, fingers crossed on Dhalen we could have A top 6 of Edler Tanev, OJ Dhalen maybe A UFA or A trade. If not Delzotto and poosalot ( i used that name first seems to have caught on, boy did I take crap pardon the pun when I used it lol)  With anyone of Holm Brisbois or stech as the 7th guy. Our top 9 hopefully if the rooks show it will be A nice mix  I think Vaneck and the twins based on the disrespect of linden towards the twins, and since all 3 seem to be A package deal I'm not sure if they will be back. Either way for Linden of all people to disrespect the 2 best players ever to wear this uniform is sad, This is just me but I see A top 9 of BO Brock Sven Dhalen Petterson Gaudette the twins Vaneck and Virt. With Virt and Dhalen splitting time with granny and Sutter on the 4th. With Louie and goldie in the box rotating with whoever is playing poorly. Not ideal, but if the rooks outperform the vets, whadda you going to do? And that's not including Lind Gadonavich or if we draft A forward this year. or we can pull A Colorado and go young. I guess it really comes back to Thatch As we all know an elite goalie can cover a lot of mistakes young guys might make.This also doesn't include any trades.

I am nobody just A fan with some thoughts. I hope people instead of attacking me will give there two cents. Do we need the twins and Vaneck? Gags has got to go. Louie is good defensively and can be A good role model. That being said if he is impeding say Dhalin for instance then send him to Utica. He still gets his 6 mill.

Again not sure if this was directed towards me. All I was saying was best case scenario with Demko 3rd in save% on A crap team plus most of our rookies at the top of there league in ppg or points the future is brighter than it ever was. Plus over 20 mill in cap space to0 go out and sign A couple of players and yes the Canucks could very easily be fighting for the weak Pacific, No Disrespect meant, especially since I'm only 90% sure you are quoting my post, but if you are you want to explain why instead of oh I dunno using some facts to prove your point instead you just bash what I say. Is that how you act in the real world? Whats wrong with having an actual convo? funny thing is if we were at A bar discussing this I highly doubt your attitude would be so bold. since I'm 6,8 364 and all my friends enjoy riding Harleys. Not A threat in any way. Just showing how the littlest twits act so tough on the computer. Again let me reiterate I am not saying that is the kind of person you are but based on your comments you were towing the line. Me I'm A nice guy, but you talk like that to other people and they might be offended over it.Over what? to guys who both love the Canucks yet we can't even respect each other? What is this Detroit?         

Keep the faith...your not far off the way it's going to go down....

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I totally agree. My thought was that if and that's A big if that Demko can be A year ahead of schedule and maybe split the duties He may excel in that role. At the very least6 its worthy A 10-20 game looksie    Side note I read on HF that Marky feels him and half the team belong in the minors any truth to that?         

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Keep the faith...your not far off the way it's going to go down....

Thanks your good vibes and postys are A welcome addition to all the negativity. keep on keeping on. (lame I know lol( CHEERS and GCG.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I totally agree. My thought was that if and that's A big if that Demko can be A year ahead of schedule and maybe split the duties He may excel in that role. At the very least6 its worthy A 10-20 game looksie    Side note I read on HF that Marky feels him and half the team belong in the minors any truth to that?         

HF seems to have one brain that gets shared and no-one seems to know who's turn it is to use it. I assume ( won't read their crap ) that they are twisting the TSN quote from Markstrom. They ( TSN ) 'edited' the quote to give it a far more sinister feel. Their edited/ manipulated version was presented as a pure 'quote'. It was not.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

HF seems to have one brain that gets shared and no-one seems to know who's turn it is to use it. I assume ( won't read their crap ) that they are twisting the TSN quote from Markstrom. They ( TSN ) 'edited' the quote to give it a far more sinister feel. Their edited/ manipulated version was presented as a pure 'quote'. It was not.

Thank you for clearing that up. Whatever he said. I'm glad he said it. and then backed it up with A S.O Not saying he is A #1, but that's the kind of stuff that gets you on your way. 

45 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Thank you for clearing that up. Whatever he said. I'm glad he said it. and then backed it up with A S.O Not saying he is A #1, but that's the kind of stuff that gets you on your way. 

What he said was meant to mean 

"The way that I and some of my teammates played tonight, we don't deserve to play in the NHL."  

It was more of a comment on how they played that night, but TSN twisted it.