The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evaluating Willie Desjardins

buddyguy

9 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Lol. Willie does seem like a really good person though.  I think that's why the players play hard for him. They like him , and ya , he does have some strengths. That being said , his deployment is brutal , and almost everyone notices , and I'm not just talking about fans. 

Agreed 

the live mic on HNIC commercials breaks a while back was proof. Announcers were just st baffled 

yesterday was yet another example 

as for playing hard, we have so many players that frankly are lucky to be playing in the NHL they have no choice but to play hard. Really not a reflection of their "love" for their coach 

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Once again you are insulting..

I guess if you have no facts to offer, that is one way of posting.

What facts have you offered besides changing history to suit your anti-benning narrative. Speaking of revisionist history...

Willie doesn't trust the young players, but he was forced to play them last year and this. He also tends to have favorites on the roster, and not the same favorites as the fans. Willie has done a good job though, with what he's had to work with and the huge long term injuries. I'll give him a C- 

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

FACT for you.

Linden

Benning

Willie

None of the 3 had any actual NHL experience in their full current position before they were hired by FA and the Canucks.

All 3 were rookies . 

Say what you want, you are only trying to be a apologist  / revisionist....

haha, canuck73 beat me to the response.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Willie doesn't trust the young players, but he was forced to play them last year and this. He also tends to have favorites on the roster, and not the same favorites as the fans. Willie has done a good job though, with what he's had to work with and the huge long term injuries. I'll give him a C- 

This is where I sit with Willie, he's nowhere near as awful as CDC paints him nor is he anywhere near the best coach in the league. 

He's a players coach who has a good track record of developing players. Will he be here in 2 years? I doubt it. Will we be stunted in the rebuild because of him? Absolutely not. 

17 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

wow , kinda abusive don't you think...   anger management issues maybe ???

Next time try to add something intelligent to the discussion

It is fact that Benning, Linden , and Willie were all all very limited in NHL experience at their current position levels...

And that is exactly the issue/problem 

Linden can't do too much damage in his role (other than the initial mistake of hiring Willie)

benning has slghtly redeemed himself with the latest moves. Still not happy with the Virt pick but he is improving 

Willie is our biggest problem. Terrible coach. Produced a terrible product on the ice that will not put any butts in the seats. Awful special teams. Terrible game management. awful roster choices and line combinations and outright playing favourites. He has to go. Team is clearly going backwards under his watch. 

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Once again you are insulting..

I guess if you have no facts to offer, that is one way of posting.

He's not insulting, he's stating facts, you ARE clueless. Benning was an assistant GM in the NHL for the Boston Bruins, he may have changed employers, but he is still in the same union (the NHL).

The Canucks simply promoted JB to GM from AGM. And he was a scout before that, so JB has paid his dues and in fact has a lot of experience. 

As a comparable, Stan Bowman of Chicago, regarded as the best GM in hockey. Started his career in Chicago and moved up to GM in 2009. So as a rookie GM he won the cup in 2010. Oh but he couldn't have had enough experience...... must have been a fluke, oh wait, that type of thinking only applies to JB.

You, my fellow canuck fan friend, are clueless. 

15 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I think Willies attention to detail on game film and coaching is good. Not during the game. I think he lacks patience with a developing team. He surely is feeling the heat. Megna on the pp? That i will not understand. 

and just how in the heck would you know that? are you in the clubhouse? Guess what, it really doesn't matter what you think. 

7 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

He's not insulting, he's stating facts, you ARE clueless. Benning was an assistant GM in the NHL for the Boston Bruins, he may have changed employers, but he is still in the same union (the NHL).

The Canucks simply promoted JB to GM from AGM. And he was a scout before that, so JB has paid his dues and in fact has a lot of experience. 

As a comparable, Stan Bowman of Chicago, regarded as the best GM in hockey. Started his career in Chicago and moved up to GM in 2009. So as a rookie GM he won the cup in 2010. Oh but he couldn't have had enough experience...... must have been a fluke, oh wait, that type of thinking only applies to JB.

You, my fellow canuck fan friend, are clueless. 

:lol:

out of pluses I owe you one. 

Not sure what Willie can really do. He's coached guys like Bo, Sven B, Hutton, Stetcher, Tryamkin etc.. Whats wrong with them? They've seemed to develop pretty well so far Yeah, he did mess us only playing Goldobin for just under six minutes but it was only his first game with us. Even with the youth movement he still wants to win and he's getting 100% out of our guys which is good. Not easy to throw young guys into the NHL who aren't ready and have them mess up and lose their confidence.

10 minutes ago, van_ws said:

To be honest, any idiot could coach better than him.

I would take anyone else behind the bench. Here is hoping he gets fired in the offseason and bring in someone else.

I'd take Willie over Torts

3 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Reading comprehension is your friend, friend. I haven't come down on either side of the argument so I'm hardly status quo or upset about anybody questioning anything. For the record, I don't think we are better, or worse off for WD being the coach through this transition. He's merely the placeholder until the rebuild is complete and we are ready to compete again. What's laughable to me is how you and the rest of the fanboys blow a gasket when a B grade rookie prospect gets his ass stapled to the bench for not playing the right way. You think lord Babcock would handle it any differently? Think again.

Hockeyworld disagrees:

dobberprospects - A-

hockeysfuture - 7.5/10

bleacherreport - comparison to Gabourik

thecanuckway - blue chip prospect

NHL Eric Gilmore - 3rd best prospect on Sharks

Corey Pronman ESPN - 95th best prospect

Craig Button - A

So you may want to re-evaluate your rating. Canucks fans have every right to be ticked off he was benched.

10 hours ago, Green Building said:

I'd like everybody who rips on WD for failing our youth movement to name all of our prospects/rookies/sophomores that he has coached, and explain how they're progressing thus far. I don't expect many answers.

I'll step up to that answer. You should name all the prospects/rookies/sophomores that have progressed under WD's tutelage.

Right off the bat I question his handling of Bo Hovart.  I honestly think Bo could be even father along if it were not for WD's handling of this kid. 

What about all the young players JB has brought in only to have WD sit them?

Jake V, come on, the list goes on ...

Last nights handling of Goldobin after he scored. 

Your list of players must be from other teams of another time. 

How about how he's handled his vets by over playing them? 

Baertchi (sp) and Granland have done it on their own. I give little credit to WD period. 

However I'd really like to get my hands on what you're smoking.

38 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Fact WD 3rd year coach.

Fact Benning won a cup with Boston and was Assistant GM with the Bruins from 2006-2014 8 years of experience and a Stanley Cup calling him a rookie is just factually false. 

Linden was a rookie in his position 3 years ago but he's training under a GM who has over 10 years experience. 

Linden was also President of the NHLPA for 8 years.

That's considerable experience. 

Just now, darkpoet said:

Linden was also President of the NHLPA for 8 years.

That's considerable experience. 

Desi I mean kingofsurrey would totally discredit that to suit his narrative, but thank you for more facts to add. 

Out of pluses sadly 

Archived