The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evaluating Willie Desjardins

buddyguy

8 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Crawford is thought of fonder than he was when he was here. People remember the uptempo style of course, but forget how little that helped us in the playoffs. After we finally got back in playoff contention, it was all 1st round exits apart from making it to the 2nd round once.

Offence is fun, but run and gun is hardly the team Benning's building. He's building for playoff success.

We never had the goaltending. That was the problem. Crow won a Cup in Colorado playing the exact same style, but he had Patrick Roy.

We had this:

9 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Sorry, by "earned" I was referring more to trust.  WD has barely watched Goldy played, and probably noticed some things that could use some tidying up.  I don't know for sure, and chances are he will be questioned repeatedly about in the next few days.  Sometimes it's good to sit and observe, especially if your as new to the team as he is.  

Not after scoring an electrifying goal half way through the game. Any logical coach would get the kid right back out there. This idea that he met his quota, and best pack it in early is ludicrous. I'm dumbfounded that there's actually a defense case for Willie's madness. I guess Goldy's coffee was just too hot for Willie.

40 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Sorry, by "earned" I was referring more to trust.  WD has barely watched Goldy played, and probably noticed some things that could use some tidying up.  I don't know for sure, and chances are he will be questioned repeatedly about in the next few days.  Sometimes it's good to sit and observe, especially if your as new to the team as he is.  

I agree with all of that in principal.

Look how long it took to get Boucher into the lineup though. We picked him up off waivers and people almost forgot we had him because he didn't even suit up until what, over a month later?

In the meantime, while the team is struggling to score, we're watching Megna fly up and down the wing like Mason Raymond listening to the coach praise his speed.........

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sir I am fine if they choose to change coaches.  There are a number of decent candidates and maybe more in the off season.  Wouldnt mind WD given a chance next season too though and see what he can squeeze out of Boesser and other possible rookies.    Just keep your expectations tempered.  It's a while yet before we have a lineup that can contend and no coach is good enough to take this team to the promised land.

Willes just wrote this week that the Canucks envision Boeser spending a year in Utica.  Doesn't sound like they want to do a McCann/Virtanen repeat.

1 minute ago, Frail Granny said:

LMAO! That video was made by a genius!

It might be funny... if it weren't true.

As I recall, the puck never bounced or tumbled, it simply beat him.

That era was all about scoring. I'm convinced if we could have somehow acquired a top tier goalie, it would have changed everything.

28 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

It was the same way with A.V, and I highly doubt it would be any different with Travis Green.  It's the best pro hockey league in the world.  Earning ice time is a rite of passage for younger players.  

WD made a young kid sit and watch the game, who has barely practiced with the team at all, during his first game.  Only chumps like Botchford would b*^#* and moan about that, like the sky is falling.  Get a life

Can you imagine the contempt people inside the game like Willie must feel toward the likes of Botchford. For the most part they keep their lip buttoned but I did catch a rare glimpse of it one morning when Ray Ferraro absolutely lost it on Botchford. It was great radio.

25 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I have no problem with running a hockey team like a Meritocracy. 

In fact, that's how it should be.

But you can't have "Willie makes his kids earn their ice" in one hand, while holding "Willie plays AHL level players in positions they haven't earned" in the other - and call it equal.

He's coaching out of both sides of his face.

There is a difference between being forced to use players like Megna with the Sedins because they're the only player you have left with speed to cover for them as slower players, and not playing someone like Goldobin in his first game with the team when LA is trying to comeback at home. Megna only stuck in larger roles after Desjardins had little other choice but to use him, and he earned trust (as Goose corrected) which has allowed him to continue to be played up the lineup as injuries happen. Chaput earned trust early on, with solid 4th line play and faceoff ability, and was tried in a few higher situations only after doing so.

Desjardins has been pretty consistent in how he grants ice time and how players earn it.

EDIT: and on Cloutier, having 3 consecutive 30+ win seasons was not just about the team in front of him. Sure, there were bad goals, but we saw that from Luongo, and we've seen it from Miller. An elite goalie would have cost more and taken away from salary in other areas. The fact remains we tried to outscore other teams in the regular season and the playoffs, and it never worked for us in a 7 game series.

4 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

It might be funny... if it weren't true.

As I recall, the puck never bounced or tumbled, it simply beat him.

That era was all about scoring. I'm convinced if we could have somehow acquired a top tier goalie, it would have changed everything.

I know. Mika Noronen...if only?..

5 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

He's currently coaching Miller and Markstrom for us :ph34r:

Uh.... apologies to Dan, if you're reading this, but you know it's true !

Notice Markstroms play has been more erratic this season? Coincidence? I wouldn't mind him as a fighting coach. Goalie coach is another story.

19 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

Not after scoring an electrifying goal half way through the game. Any logical coach would get the kid right back out there. This idea that he met his quota, and best pack it in early is ludicrous. I'm dumbfounded that there's actually a defense case for Willie's madness. I guess Goldy's coffee was just too hot for Willie.

+1 .... Don't you get the feeling that sinking feeling that  Desjardins would have treated Pavel Bure the same way?

Maybe he's got "Napoleon Syndrome" ?

18 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

There is a difference between being forced to use players like Megna with the Sedins because they're the only player you have left with speed to cover for them as slower players, and not playing someone like Goldobin in his first game with the team when LA is trying to comeback at home. Megna only stuck in larger roles after Desjardins had little other choice but to use him, and he earned trust (as Goose corrected) which has allowed him to continue to be played up the lineup as injuries happen. Chaput earned trust early on, with solid 4th line play and faceoff ability, and was tried in a few higher situations only after doing so.

Desjardins has been pretty consistent in how he grants ice time and how players earn it.

While that's all well and good (and I agree with you on the principles), how does a player "earn trust" if he's not even in the lineup?

As I mentioned earlier, Boucher was picked up Jan. 4th. He didn't play a game for us until Feb. 16th   :blink:

The kid had 20 points in 40 games last year for a New Jersey team that's in the toughest division in the League.

Now, you can point out the alleged issues with his conditioning. But who mentioned that?

Willie Desjardins:  “I think Boucher has been on the same program”  ( that Tryamkin was on )

It wasn't Linden, or Benning who mentioned Boucher's conditioning, it was Willie.

I mean, when your team isn't scoring and your management team picks a guy off waivers who by all accounts CAN SCORE and hands him to you, and then you let him sit around for almost 6 weeks without playing him... yeah, you might put on a few pounds too right? Convenient excuse!

Willy D executing the Hegelian Dialectic to perfection.....

:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

+1 .... Don't you get the feeling that sinking feeling that  Desjardins would have treated Pavel Bure the same way?

Bure would have got the Tryamkin treatment. Told to cut down on his muscle mass. Bure would have booked the next plane to Moscow.

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Coach of the Medicine Hat Tigers coached them to a WHL championship and to the Memorial Cup finals, assistant coach under Pat Quinn in the 2009 world jrs. 2010-2012 associate coach of the Dallas Stars. 2012-2014 coached the Texas Stars including their first Calder Cup. 2014 took over from Torterella and did what he couldn't do which was coach this team to the playoffs.

Benning had 8 years of very valuable experience as assistant GM of a Stanley Cup winning team. A further 10 years of scouting experience. 

Trevor Linden had years of experience as an NHLPA players association president including being an integral part of negotiations ending the lookout. 

There you go, I say it again you're completely clueless. 

Once again you move to insulting other posters...  

You tell porkies and untruths.

When someone calls you out for it , you insult them.  

Not matter how you dress it up. Not matter that they all had stellar peewee rep seasons and excelled at summer camp...

All 3   Willie, JB and TL all were NHL rookies in terms of doing the job before   at their new Canuck positions. 

Now i am sure you will once again post about how all 3 have a  great slap shot  and all  3  worked part time at  7-11 .

Whatever.  Doesn't matter how you try to dress it up. The truth is the truth. FA hired a very inexperienced management team . 

1 minute ago, darkpoet said:

While that's all well and good (and I agree with you on the principles), how does a player "earn trust" if he's not even in the lineup?

As I mentioned earlier, Boucher was picked up Jan. 4th. He didn't play a game for us until Feb. 16th   :blink:

The kid had 20 points in 40 games last year for a New Jersey team that's in the toughest division in the League.

Now, you can point out the alleged issues with his conditioning. But who mentioned that?

It wasn't Linden, or Benning who mentioned Boucher's conditioning, it was Willie.

I mean, when your team isn't scoring and your management team picks a guy off waivers who by all accounts CAN SCORE and hands him to you, and then you let him sit around for over a month without playing him... yeah, you might put on a few pounds too right? Convenient excuse!

Willy D executing the Hegelian Dialectic to perfection.....

:rolleyes:

Conditioning and Training programs are Willys cop out excuses for not playing players.

You can play 7- 10 mins a night while conditioning or training...  Desjardins only offers 5 mins of ice if your in shape anyway.

32 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

We never had the goaltending. That was the problem. Crow won a Cup in Colorado playing the exact same style, but he had Patrick Roy.

We had this:

I was there for that......

I still can't believe we traded Adrian Aucoin AND a 2nd round pick for that guy...

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

or Ovechkin...Ovy has had a pretty successful career but has been notorious for not playing a 20' game (until recent years) and still struggles to do so.  He is a pure goal scorer and his coaches have been willing to allow him freedom to produce despite his shortcomings.  If WD had been his coach when he came into the league, he would have been started on the 4th line until he could play defense to WD's standard.  It is quite possible, Ovy would have bolted to the KHL.  Not all horses are built to pull a wagon WIllie.

If Willie keeps refusing to play the kids down the stretch here he is going to get fired.  The management have blatantly said they want to see what the kids have,,,plus the city will turn on him even more. 

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Conditioning and Training programs are Willys cop out excuses for not playing players.

You can play 7- 10 mins a night while conditioning or training...  Desjardins only offers 5 mins of ice if your in shape anyway.

I think that definitely applied to Tryamkin though , lol
You could see him huffing and puffing....

Boucher though, he was playing (and scoring) everywhere he was playing. 

Bit of a slow start with 2 points in 9 games in NJ then ends up in Nashville where he scores 1 point in 3 games. Then gets sent down, and puts up 5 points in 5 games (4-1) for the Admirals before getting yanked again and ending up here.... where he sits on his ass for 6 weeks before even getting a chance to "ear some trust"

How about "showing a little faith" !!

Archived