The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal - Van - Tampa Bay

This is a long long shot. 

After this season Benning said if the Sedins want a shot at winning a cup its up to them. This is my Sedins to a cup contender proposal.

To Tampa Bay: Sedins (salary retained)

To Van: right D prospect Mathew Spencer & centre prospect Mitchell Stephens (Both 2nd round players acquired via trade in the 2015 Draft)

Interesting thought. When Benning said this I at first meant it as a challenge to the Sedins that they need to play harder if they want to win but it could be that you are more accurate in that they would have to request a trade to a contender to win....I'm not quite sure.

Regardless, I think that if the Sedins want to be traded, the Canucks won't necessarily be making the proposals, it will be the other teams making their best pitches to the Canucks. This may be a realistic return but I think it is much too conservative as there would at the very least be a a-grade prospect and/or some conditional draft picks included.

This trade would instantly make the lightning cup favourites, but I'm not sure they have the cap space for this. Besides, we can get more than two meh prospects.

Tampa is in cap hell and they have to still sign Drouin, Palat and Tyler Johnson to new contracts over the summer. I just don't see how the Lightning can take on another $7M (Canucks retaining 50%)......they don't even have enough cap dumps to give us that don't have a NMC or NTC. Not to knock your proposal but I think you need to look for another destination for the Sedins.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/lightning

No for a couple of reasons.

a. I do not believe that the Sedins want to or will leave

b. Tampa doesn't need them

c. In terms of Cap, it is not logical. We only have one slot remaining for salary cap retention, so 10 million would be going to Tampa. They do not have the contracts to dump on to us anymore, and would want to save any cap space they do have to sign Tyler Johnson, Palat, and Drouin who's contracts are expiring very shortly

T bay already has Callahan w a NMC you can't just dump the Sedins on there too they have enough ED and Cap problems as is. I would bet they would pay their 1st + just to get rid of Callahan pre ED.

If it truly were Tampa the Sedins targeted as the place they wanted to go I would shoot for something like 

To Tampa- the Sedins 50% retained

To Van- Callahan Drouin 

Fixes their cap issues and they get to dump Callahan's 5.8m x 3 on us. Thats gotta be worth Drouin who is rfa and they now won't have to worry about. They should have enough money to sign their other guys. I really don't see tampa as a good partner to trade the Sedins to. 

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

T bay already has Callahan w a NMC you can't just dump the Sedins on there too they have enough ED and Cap problems as is. I would bet they would pay their 1st + just to get rid of Callahan pre ED.

If it truly were Tampa the Sedins targeted as the place they wanted to go I would shoot for something like 

To Tampa- the Sedins 50% retained

To Van- Callahan Drouin 

Fixes their cap issues and they get to dump Callahan's 5.8m x 3 on us. Thats gotta be worth Drouin who if rfa and they now won't have to worry about. They should have enough money to sign their other guys. I really don't see tampa as a good partner to trade the Sedins to. 

You seen Drouin this year? He is worth way more than the Sedins even if Tampa gets rid of Callahan's contract.

Ask yourself this. Would you trade Horvat (same age as Drouin) and Eriksson for Marleau and Thornton?  Plus we can't even retain both their contracts(Sedins).

44 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

You seen Drouin this year? He is worth way more than the Sedins even if Tampa gets rid of Callahan's contract.

Ask yourself this. Would you trade Horvat (same age as Drouin) and Eriksson for Marleau and Thornton? 

Ya ya I would If I also had Stamkos, Palat, Johnson, Kucherov and Hedman on my team several of whom need raises and an ED coming where I were set to loose a very good player for nothing because I was stuck protecting Eriksson. Where do I sign to fix my cap/ED problem and add Thorton Marleau to that group. It's ok you can just hand me the cup right now.

Its a different situation. Horvat is our best player and all hope for the future " the holy one". Drouin is just a piece on that team his loss doesn't cripple them they were just fine sending him down to the ahl when he got too big for his britches. 

20 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Plus we can't even retain both their contracts(Sedins).

It's ok we just saved them around 11 mill on Callahan Drouin even if we can only retain half on one Sedin  they should be able to sign Palat Johnson. But I digress as I said I don't think Tampa is the right dance partner. So its a pretty moot point.

Proposal: both Sedins to New Jersey for 2016 Centre prospect Michael McLeod 

thoughts? 

New Jersey has a lot more cap space. Even if they kept their top two lines and Used the Sedins on their third line it would provide them with more offence and the coach with more options especially on PP with Sedins and Hall. 

8 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Proposal: both Sedins to New Jersey for 2016 Centre prospect Michael McLeod 

thoughts? 

New Jersey has a lot more cap space. Even if they kept their top two lines and Used the Sedins on their third line it would provide them with more offence and the coach with more options especially on PP with Sedins and Hall. 

If your gonna make proposals especially pertaining to the Sedins expect to get flamed unless you have really thought it out from all sides. And you will still probably get flamed. 

Not even gonna respond to your proposal here. In what universe do you think the Sedins waive for NJ.

2 hours ago, Stamkos said:

This trade would instantly make the lightning cup favourites, but I'm not sure they have the cap space for this. Besides, we can get more than two meh prospects.

Throw in Jonathan MacLeod and let's make it three. 

Out of respect to OP's post, the return is honestly underwhelming.  Stephens is a... decent asset coming back but not even a blue-chipper (scouting report says he's more effort and meat-and-potatoes, so may not have high-end skill), when Hansen alone got Goldie and a 4th.  If the Lightning were desperate to win I think at least giving up Brayden Point wouldn't be too much to ask for as a start.

Honestly though, I feel like a team like the Islanders (especially if they're intent on keeping Tavares in town) would be a solid fit for the Twins (of course they'd need to agree to waive and they aren't a contender as of their current composition) but they'd be playing behind a true offensive stud and a team that's got some good things going for them (quality defensemen in Leddy and Boychuk to anchor the back end (and they'd be leading any Canuck D-man on the team in scoring by quite a margin), a bunch of young, skilled guys that Vancouver could ask for in return, e.g. Strome/ Beauvillier, maybe Ho-Sang if his current tryout turns sour, and someone like Nelson would complement their skill well, plus Greiss is posting better numbers than Miller and Markstrom).  It's just that Johnny T's essentially playing in Lone Star State, but with the more free-flowing East the Twins might be able to do some damage yet. 

9 hours ago, Stamkos said:

You're kidding right? Have you even watched the Sedins play? 

9 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

You're kidding right? Have you even watched the Sedins play? 

Yes, and they aren't performing because of their matchups. Do you honestly think that they wouldn't benefit from third line minutes?

7 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Out of respect to OP's post, the return is honestly underwhelming.  Stephens is a... decent asset coming back but not even a blue-chipper (scouting report says he's more effort and meat-and-potatoes, so may not have high-end skill), when Hansen alone got Goldie and a 4th.  If the Lightning were desperate to win I think at least giving up Brayden Point wouldn't be too much to ask for as a start.

Honestly though, I feel like a team like the Islanders (especially if they're intent on keeping Tavares in town) would be a solid fit for the Twins (of course they'd need to agree to waive and they aren't a contender as of their current composition) but they'd be playing behind a true offensive stud and a team that's got some good things going for them (quality defensemen in Leddy and Boychuk to anchor the back end (and they'd be leading any Canuck D-man on the team in scoring by quite a margin), a bunch of young, skilled guys that Vancouver could ask for in return, e.g. Strome/ Beauvillier, maybe Ho-Sang if his current tryout turns sour, and someone like Nelson would complement their skill well, plus Greiss is posting better numbers than Miller and Markstrom).  It's just that Johnny T's essentially playing in Lone Star State, but with the more free-flowing East the Twins might be able to do some damage yet. 

Almost every proposal I've seen involving the Sedins has been a serious underpayment by the other team. Can't remember who said it but they said if they were trading the twins they'd expect a B grade prospect and a 1st at least for both.  Like don't even entertain the notion of trading them if we're not getting fair value in return. 

47 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Yes, and they aren't performing because of their matchups. Do you honestly think that they wouldn't benefit from third line minutes?

so you don't think it has anything to do with them being 36 years old huh.

1 hour ago, Rocksterh8 said:

so you don't think it has anything to do with them being 36 years old huh.

They'd definitely do better with 3rd line match ups

14 hours ago, hammertime said:

Ya ya I would If I also had Stamkos, Palat, Johnson, Kucherov and Hedman on my team several of whom need raises and an ED coming where I were set to loose a very good player for nothing because I was stuck protecting Eriksson. Where do I sign to fix my cap/ED problem and add Thorton Marleau to that group. It's ok you can just hand me the cup right now.

Its a different situation. Horvat is our best player and all hope for the future " the holy one". Drouin is just a piece on that team his loss doesn't cripple them they were just fine sending him down to the ahl when he got too big for his britches. 

I understand your point that Drouin isn't the essential piece for Tampa, but I think they could net a bigger return for him in terms or prospects or draft picks if they really didn't think they could sign him.  I don't think that us taking on Callahan is enough for them to trade Drouin for the Sedin's.  Although that sure would speed up the rebuild if we could! 

Archived