The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie D needs to pipe down.

Shirotashi

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Still a bush call after so many other players making the same or worse mistakes.  Shows the favoritism aspect of his coaching which is divisive.

Personally I think y'all are blowing it way out of proportion.  Imagine if prospects were as thin skinned as some on here.  There would be no pro league

1 minute ago, TheOgRook said:

Personally I think y'all are blowing it way out of proportion.  Imagine if prospects were as thin skinned as some on here.  There would be no pro league

If he could fix the damn PP I'd be freekin unicorn rainbow.

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

If he could fix the damn PP I'd be freekin unicorn rainbow.

3rd coach in a row to not be able to fix this power play.   Love me some twins but they are way too predictable and coaches just show tape.. heck, most of the players they match up against have been watching their tapes for years now.  

JB will have to fix the PP by finding us somebody who is a threat when they shoot.. maybe he already has and they just havnt arrived yet  :) 

1 minute ago, TheOgRook said:

3rd coach in a row to not be able to fix this power play.   Love me some twins but they are way too predictable and coaches just show tape.. heck, most of the players they match up against have been watching their tapes for years now.  

JB will have to fix the PP by finding us somebody who is a threat when they shoot.. maybe he already has and they just havnt arrived yet  :) 

Well your buddy Willie Boy ain't doin' squat

2 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

I think you are missing the point though. He regularly has critical public words for young players but never has them for vets or plugs. That's the double standard that people are upset about. Are the vets so thin skinned that he thinks they can't handle criticism too? Or does he really not see just how often the vets are making mistakes or not playing hard defensively? Either way, apply it all the way around or don't apply it, especially publicly. I think it's obvious that he does not have a lot of trust in the young guys being able to handle the minutes he is being forced to give them. Coaches don't often fare well in a public game of chicken with the GM though. His frustration was pretty obvious. But really the young kids are the ones that are putting in the work and keeping us in games (and Miller of course). The Sedins and Edler are not playing well at either end of the ice and Tanev is too injury prone to be in the lineup consistently. Would he make our defensive game better? Sure he would. But it's not like we are really looking that much worse without him.

20 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/button-tryamkin-will-learn-when-and-where-to-step-up-physically-1.699424

Pretty early the clip plays.

People getting worked up are eating out of Botchford's (and other media's) palm.

Exactly.  Sekeres and Price doing what they do.

WD's comments in these two interviews that people are getting all whipped up about are that Tryamkin has shown a lot of upside, he's somewhat plateaued recently, probably fatigued by his first long haul of a season and that the challenge for him is to bring what he did in Dallas every night, consistently.  Pretty much a statement that can be applied to 90% of young players.  He's being asked about player after player and he's giving a candid assessment - it's not as though he's going out of his way to single any player out.

But ermagerd!

This is apparently his worst transgression lol.

Itchy trigger fingers making mountains out of fairly mundane, fair enough comments.

But hey, media need something to feed on.

16 hours ago, J-23 said:

When he called out Tryamkin publicly, I was pissed. The last thing you should do as a coach is call out a player publicly like that. A good coach wouldn't have done that, they would've had a personal talk with that player, and thrashing Tryamkin for not going after Marchand is a foolish reason to thrash someone for. Even a personal talk for something like that is silly. Throwing players under the bus is not cool Willie! 

How do you know Willie hasn't talked to him about sticking up for his team? Sometimes commenting publicly is the push a player really needs.

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

How do you know Willie hasn't talked to him about sticking up for his team? Sometimes commenting publicly is the push a player really needs.

Isn't it a little odd to do so after a game where the player played well and did bring that edge though?

Its like he had his answer from after the Boston game all prepared in his mind and just had to get it out even if the context made no sense after the Dallas game.

Yes that was pretty uncool.....not warranted. I have been on the 'keep WD bandwagon' at least until his contract is up but this was a no class move by him.

He basically said that if Tryamkin had showed up and played that way against Boston, Vancouver would have won the game. There was a lot more wrong with the game against Boston...WD can't justify pinning the loss on one guy.

59 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

PP worked when we had two PP lines, and there was a good hard point shot. In years past the D had to respect the Twins because if the D pinched, the puck was up at the point for a Salo shot.  If the D waited for the point shot, the D was outnumbered and you then had the Twins down low.  It was a money play.

You also had to worry about a Kesler, Higgins, and Hansen line. They either got a tired 1st unit PK or the second PK line that was outmatched.

Things have changed, and we did not play to our strengths.

I would also add this: Henrik won the Hart and Art Ross trophies playing without Daniel for 19 games. So there is some proof that they can handle paying away from each other.

1 hour ago, TheOgRook said:

And then IMMEDIATELY said he's not blaming him.  He's trying to get across what a game changer the kid can be if he plus a certain way.  But in typical fashion you only clip the part of the convo that suits your twisted agenda 

The oldest trick in the book is to slam a player by slamming him and then trying to retract

fans love Tram most hate Willie. Just another nail in his coffin 

how many times has he called out his 7 point boy? And now he puts Chaput in the top line? 

And you say I have a twisted agenda? 

19 minutes ago, smokes said:

So WD is doing the same thing as Torts when he was being shown out the door

Really?

Torts threw his lineup - and his GM - under the bus.  And then acknowledged that he deserved to get fired.

WD states that a young D has upside but is showing signs of fading late in the season and will need to gain more consistency and people here equate the two?

I think a lot of you stand a big chance of being disappointed - I highly doubt that Benning and LInden read into these types of mundane comments the same level of drama that the Sekeres and Prices do in their attention-grabbing feeding frenzies.

3 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

The oldest trick in the book is to slam a player by slamming him and then trying to retract

how many times has he called out his 7 point boy? And now he puts Chaput in the top line? 

He is doing what he has been told to do....play the young guys. We have seen what Megna can do...now let's see what Chaput can do with increased minutes on the top line. Notice that Megna is now on the 4th line.

3 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

It might not be his style, but Willie needs a fight-filled night against the Flames.

Archived