The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie D needs to pipe down.

Shirotashi

1 minute ago, HomeBrew said:

But if we are talking long term strategy here, Jarvis turns 62 next week, so how long is he going to stick around for on the bench? Lidster has more years to give. Perhaps they give Jarvis another role in the organization to keep his experience around. 

It's more a support role as an ass-man. I have no problem with an assistant being a bit older in that regard. With a head coach though, you're directly responsible for interacting with the players. 
It's just my personal opinion but I'd like to see someone a bit younger leading this team forward. Finding the right guy is the most important thing though. 
I mean, Scotty Bowman's 83. But if he called Trevor up and said "Hey I'm interested in what you're doing over there. I thought I might give it one last kick at the can" ...... 

5 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I will say if I had to choose which of Lidster or Jarvis to keep, I'd pick Jarvis. He's had the most success both as a coach and a player. You can't replace 8 Cups worth of know-how.

With regards to Lidsters comments (where is that from?), the only way in which I can see what he said there actually panning out is in the way that this team competes every night. 
There is almost always something left in the tank, even if the game is out of hand, and you have to give WD props for that. 
That aside, nothing else has really clicked. 

2014/15 (year 1), there were still a lot of serviceable veterans on this team so I wasn't all that shocked we made the playoffs. 
Bieksa, Burrows, Hamhuis, Hansen, Higgins, Richardson, and Vrbata.

It's been downhill since. 
He's done the best he could I think, fwiw. But I'm not sure anyone in the organization sees him as a long term fixture. If they ever did.

Absolutely Jarvis should stay if he wants. I just hope there's not any friendship / teammate ties with TL and Lidster affecting any decision they make on his future.

Also 2014/15 they had half the injuries as the last 2 years. Willies decisions for the most part made sense that first year, but the last 2 years he continues to make questionable calls on the Sedins, the PP, end of game lineup decisions, Eriksson etc..etc..

here's the article.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Doug+Lidster+follow+Willie+Desjardins+path+Canucks/9974966/story.html

4 minutes ago, canuckfromlangley said:

So much hate on this sight lately. I thought this was a fan forum. Not i hate everything about this team forum.

Yeah, unfortunately it has been a "hate everything about this team" forum for a while. Makes it an unpleasant place to visit for Canucks fans.

9 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Absolutely Jarvis should stay if he wants. I just hope there's not any friendship / teammate ties with TL and Lidster affecting any decision they make on his future.

Also 2014/15 they had half the injuries as the last 2 years. Willies decisions for the most part made sense that first year, but the last 2 years he continues to make questionable calls on the Sedins, the PP, end of game lineup decisions, Eriksson etc..etc..

here's the article.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Doug+Lidster+follow+Willie+Desjardins+path+Canucks/9974966/story.html

Not a lot of video of him but check this out.

1979 and he sounded very much like a coach even way back then  B)

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why the necessity for public chastisement?  Why not privately continue coaching the player?

I don't even see it as "chastisement". He simply spoke the truth regarding what Tryamkin needs to do to make the next step. You guys are just blowing it way out of proportion.

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, unfortunately it has been a "hate everything about this team" forum for a while. Makes it an unpleasant place to visit for Canucks fans.

I've been a Canuck fan since 1982. I don't find it unpleasant here at all. There's a difference between simply dropping one liners, trolling, or otherwise just being a jerk - and getting into conversations with people about what you think is wrong with the team etc.

This is not a winning environment now, so of course it's not all roses and champagne. 

People have differing opinions. Not everyone can get along. That's why the block feature exists. If not for that, I wouldn't be around much either as there are certain members here that I just don't care to see/hear from. 

For the most part, live and let live

23 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

CDC is like driving by a car wreck, you don't want to look but can't help yourself......

18 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Now I know that the media has Willie fired already.  Maybe he's PO'd but who knows why?  Maybe he doesn't like being told to play the kids, should he be surprised?  No.  Maybe he's just pissed because he's had the rug pulled out from under his feet with the trades of Hansen and Burrows, there's sickness in the ranks and now he's getting roasted for a crappy home stand.  

Just maybe, Willie has had it up to here with the unreasonable expectations that he has to live with.

Willie is still the coach that is going to do the best for this team.  He is great at developing.  The Canucks need him for the next 2 seasons is my best guess.

i dont get why people think another ahl coach like green is going to help.  He has won nothing.  He has a good goalie in Demko. Many teams wanted WD, stars, pens were interested.  If he is so good, why is JV still sucking in ahl? 

tbh, tram needs to play with more edge. That's his biggest asset. Marchand was pushing him for heaven sakes.  Marchand had no fear of him. 

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

Ok, are we talking about Tyramkin or Boucher?

Boucher hasn't managed to stick with two teams already, getting claimed off waivers twice in one season. Saying what he needs to work on to stick would likely be a pretty fair comment in his case.

I am talking about the way he separates how he talks about young players and how he talks about (or doesn't notice or mention any flaws) in depth guys and vets.

There is no reason for him to be doing that through the media at this point. I mean every young player needs to work on their consistency. So do our vets and depth guys though.

He is coming across as bitter about having to play the kids more and clearly doesn't have much confidence in their ability to do the job.

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think this is more the case of "The Emperor's New Clothes" ..

There are those nodding and bowing their approval of his "new clothes"... just because he is the Ruler.

... And the there are others who are seeing and saying that he has nothing going on,.  The Ruler is Naked.. has nothing.

Well, you're right that there's nothing going on - at least with regards to the source of the "outrage" that spawned this thread.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He is coming across as bitter about having to play the kids more and clearly doesn't have much confidence in their ability to do the job.

And the crap just keeps flowing......

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

And the crap just keeps flowing......

I don't believe this opinion of Willie's frustration is "crap".   It's actually quite believable.  Willie is clearly frustrated, knows he's at the end of his rope, and is making remarks in public to relieve the tensions he is feeling.  Benning pretty much said Willie will now deploy players the way Benning wants.  

7 hours ago, TheOgRook said:

Just another day where somebody starts a thread with misleading headlines and everybody loses their stuff.. still don't see a direct quote from willie "throwing Nik under the bus.  

I'd expect more from some of our quality posters... maybe chicken little disease is contagious??

1. Create thread on coach who already has threads created on the daily about him
  2. Throw in outrage based on a quote you don't include in the post
  3. Make sure the outrage is in support of player who fans like and just had a big game
  4. ...
  5. Profit?

mWPlKoh.gif

5 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Well, you're right that there's nothing going on - at least with regards to the source of the "outrage" that spawned this thread.

I still think his comments are de-constructive... Nik has been one of bright spots this year.. and a rookie.

Willie should have focused on the Vets more,  because most of the kids have the "game" needed.. where the Vets have turned to mush.

Eriksson has been a ghost.  Edler a king of errors..  and the Twin's game has become so perimeter that they can be mistaken for advertising on the boards.

... these are the minds to get into ^^^^     Not the kids,.  He's just got to get out of the kids way.

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Ya Chaput is a weird choice to ride with the Sedins, but Bo-Baer-Granny could be our top line next year.  Now is the time to try it out I guess.

I may be wrong but didn't they play as a line already? 

Honestly Granny can play on any line 

3 hours ago, darkpoet said:

For sure.

I'm not saying Dank should have dropped his gloves and taken Marchand out back of the barn Pat Quinn style, but literally just standing there and allowing a guy to pop you 5 or 6 times in the face is unacceptable no matter who you are. 
That single instance right there is why the twins have been called "sisters" ever since. I'm not saying they aren't tough. They've played most of their careers along the boards. That's not always a pleasant area to be conducting business.
What I'm saying is, when you're in a situation like that where a guy is making you look like a complete and total pussy you have to have some kind of push back. Grab the guy by the back of the head and give him a good hard tug... trip him with your stick, how about a face wash with your glove??, hell even just shove his chest so he gets pushed away. Something.

I shouldn't have posted that vid. It's so embarrassing to watch. Not doing it again. 

Yes trust me I was fuming as well by my guy feel was Sedin took it for the team thinking that Marchand would get a penalty for sure 

what was the worse is we let them get away with it without any payback 

1 hour ago, darkpoet said:

Not a lot of video of him but check this out.

1979 and he sounded very much like a coach even way back then  B)

Yep, he is a calming factor for any team. you cannot help but show the guy respect. Plus the guy never took a game off .....literally..

The whole face off conversation makes my wonder why they brought in Manny considering Jarvis's knowledge and ability. That said I think Manny has had the time to focus on just that,  and has been effective with the help of a healthy Sutter for most of the year.

Looks like Manny may getting groomed for some kind of an assistant job as well..

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I still think his comments are de-constructive... Nik has been one of bright spots this year.. and a rookie.

Willie should have focused on the Vets more,  because most of the kids have the "game" needed.. where the Vets have turned to mush.

Eriksson has been a ghost.  Edler a king of errors..  and the Twin's game has become so perimeter that they can be mistaken for advertising on the boards.

... these are the minds to get into ^^^^     Not the kids,.  He's just got to get out of the kids way.

The vets know what they need to do, they're just getting older so it's harder to do it. I'd support the outrage if this was a Bill Peters/Eddie Lack call out like we saw recently, but this was so innocuous that it's not even worth the thread, never mind 15 pages of it.

90% of the posters haven't even seen the actual quote, certainly not prior to a couple of posters like myself actually transcribing it. Even then, most of those are still seeing red and never even read what's been posted every few pages about what the quote actually was. Which part did you find particularly egregious to be worth all this?

Archived