The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tryamkin goes to the KHL

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

Agree to disagree...the other goalies performed better than Miller, they had better win percentages and that is what matters...have a look at the stats; they don't lie.

I could see if they had worst stats than Miller, but they don't...definitely an overpayment. I see a lot more better goalies than Miller in the NHL that are getting paid less. Miller may have been great in the past, but not now.

giphy.gif

So was Miller supposed to score all the goals as well? Play both left and right defense? Maybe he should have been playing a Goalie / Center hybrid . . . . .

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Are you really trying to say that Markstrom and Bachman were even close to Miller this year?    

Good old CDC.  

You can have some real good intelligent hockey conversations here.  

OR

You could talk to Pete M

gotta love it. 

so you're saying your intelligent?

for a goalie to be hired in order to keep this team competing for a playoff spot, he failed. Lack did what Miller could not and that was get the team into the playoffs. In fact, Miller had a 3 goal lead in game 6, then he let in 7 goals...his rebound control in that game was horrible. The Canucks needed him to stop pucks when it mattered, but he was unable. St Louis needed him to stop pucks when it mattered, but he was unable. He is not a goalie a team can count on in order to get it done. 

Markstrom is better than Miller...let's see you prove otherwise. You can't by looking at their stats and the eye test some games was not in Miller's favour.

Sure, he might have had a good game or two in the last 30 games, but for a goalie that is getting paid $6M per year that is not good enough.

27 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

giphy.gif

So was Miller supposed to score all the goals as well? Play both left and right defense? Maybe he should have been playing a Goalie / Center hybrid . . . . .

Miller performed below his pay grade in his 3 years with the Canucks..very disappointing but expected (after his performance in StL).

Miller could have stopped more shots...he is a positional goalie, who doesn't react well to shots that aren't directly at him once he is in position, plus his lateral movement is not good. He is not a great goalie anymore.

In fact, he lost games for the Canucks (players were making comments like "it's frustrating when you make a couple of mistakes in a game, and it's in the back of the net". Not a strong endorsement of your goalie.

Markstrom is just as good as Miller and has the potential to get better. It's a good thing TG has seen him perform in UT and take them to the AHL Finals with a team that was offensively challenged. Markstrom and Demko are the future. 

Looking forward to our future with the young tenders.

51 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Miller performed below his pay grade in his 3 years with the Canucks..very disappointing but expected (after his performance in StL).

Miller could have stopped more shots...he is a positional goalie, who doesn't react well to shots that aren't directly at him once he is in position, plus his lateral movement is not good. He is not a great goalie anymore.

In fact, he lost games for the Canucks (players were making comments like "it's frustrating when you make a couple of mistakes in a game, and it's in the back of the net". Not a strong endorsement of your goalie.

Markstrom is just as good as Miller and has the potential to get better. It's a good thing TG has seen him perform in UT and take them to the AHL Finals with a team that was offensively challenged. Markstrom and Demko are the future. 

Looking forward to our future with the young tenders.

Obviously you are simply looking for points to confirm your own personal bias. Carry on then.

PS. Miller is a better goalie than this team deserved over the last 3 years.

13 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

Obviously you are simply looking for points to confirm your own personal bias. Carry on then.

Deserved? I didn't know teams deserve different levels of goaltending? Miller is actually a downgrade in net compared to the goalies this team has had over the last 10 years, although he did play admirably this year. However, he was a disappointment in the 1st 2 years of his contract IMO. 

23 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

Based on what?...you're personal bias...right on dude...carry on.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

so you're saying your intelligent?

for a goalie to be hired in order to keep this team competing for a playoff spot, he failed. Lack did what Miller could not and that was get the team into the playoffs. In fact, Miller had a 3 goal lead in game 6, then he let in 7 goals...his rebound control in that game was horrible. The Canucks needed him to stop pucks when it mattered, but he was unable. St Louis needed him to stop pucks when it mattered, but he was unable. He is not a goalie a team can count on in order to get it done. 

Markstrom is better than Miller...let's see you prove otherwise. You can't by looking at their stats and the eye test some games was not in Miller's favour.

Sure, he might have had a good game or two in the last 30 games, but for a goalie that is getting paid $6M per year that is not good enough.

:picard:  wow. 

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

Agree to disagree...the other goalies performed better than Miller, they had better win percentages and that is what matters...have a look at the stats; they don't lie.

I could see if they had worst stats than Miller, but they don't...definitely an overpayment. I see a lot more better goalies than Miller in the NHL that are getting paid less. Miller may have been great in the past, but not now.

mrw-when-the-new-guy-at-work-asks-me-about-a-problem-with-his-code-and-its-above-my-head-145536.gif

25 minutes ago, Pete M said:

yeah...let's ignore the facts. wow...lol

What facts? If you seriously think Markstrom outperformed Miller than there is really no point talking to you. Sure his gaa stats look a little better but he played 28 fewer games and had very shakey moments this season. If it wasn't for Miller we'd have finished below Colorado. 

Also save % was 914 for Miller and 910 for Markstrom... 

[Miller] is a positional goalie, who doesn't react well to shots that aren't directly at him once he is in position, plus his lateral movement is not good.

I've wondered why this hasn't been more of a thing around here.  You'll often see Miller make a save that puts him a bit out of position, then instead of getting back into position for the rebound, he just lets it go into the net without even trying to stop it.  It's like he's saying 'well, I stopped the first one, if you idiots aren't going to clear the rebounds, I'm not even going to try to stop the 2nd shot.'  He just doesn't seem to try after the fist shot.

This probably cost us 10 or 20 goals this year (which would have made a humongous difference in the standings).

17 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

What facts? If you seriously think Markstrom outperformed Miller than there is really no point talking to you. Sure his gaa stats look a little better but he played 28 fewer games and had very shakey moments this season. If it wasn't for Miller we'd have finished below Colorado. 

Also save % was 914 for Miller and 910 for Markstrom... 

lol...and you think Miller outperformed Markstrom, and Miller wasn't shaky.

bolded part...now you're making things up...to prove your own opinion.

11 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

I've wondered why this hasn't been more of a thing around here.  You'll often see Miller make a save that puts him a bit out of position, then instead of getting back into position for the rebound, he just lets it go into the net without even trying to stop it.  It's like he's saying 'well, I stopped the first one, if you idiots aren't going to clear the rebounds, I'm not even going to try to stop the 2nd shot.'  He just doesn't seem to try after the fist shot.

This probably cost us 10 or 20 goals this year (which would have made a humongous difference in the standings).

exactly, he doesn't react well to the second chance.

16 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

So , you believe an NHL level goalie will deliberately let rebounds in?

18 minutes ago, Pete M said:

lol...and you think Miller outperformed Markstrom, and Miller wasn't shaky.

bolded part...now you're making things up...to prove your own opinion.

I'm making things up? Lol ok champ. You said stats favoured Markstrom which is false Miller had a better save % and played over twice as many games. 

1 hour ago, gurn said:

So , you believe an NHL level goalie will deliberately let rebounds in?

Here, I'll highlight the important word so you don't miss it again:

It's like he's saying 'well, I stopped the first one, if you idiots aren't going to clear the rebounds, I'm not even going to try to stop the 2nd shot.' 

10 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Here, I'll highlight the important word so you don't miss it again:

"then instead of getting back into position for the rebound, he just lets it go into the net without even trying to stop it.  "

You said he lets it go into the net without even trying to stop it. Why would he not try to stop it unless he deliberately didn't try?

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

I'm making things up? Lol ok champ. You said stats favoured Markstrom which is false Miller had a better save % and played over twice as many games. 

Yeah, you are...see the bolded text...that is made up to prove your opinion.

Just now, Pete M said:

Yeah, you are...see the bolded text...that is made up to prove your opinion.

Hardly made up, I watched both goalies play Miller was clearly and easily the better goalie and kept us in alot of games we had no business being in.  

Hopefully Markstrom takes the next step this season, and improves on a decent showing. 

Archived