The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Tanev + 5 OA + 3rd rounder for Sam Reinhart + 8 OA

I know a similar proposal has been proposed in the past, but that was before the lottery. In any event, thoughts on the following?

• To Vancouver: Sam Reinhart + Buffalo's first rounder (8th overall)
  • To Buffalo: Chris Tanev + Vancouver's first rounder (5th overall)

Why Vancouver does this:

• Vancouver gets its first line center who happens to be a local boy (ok, so some of you guys are still smarting from Virtanen, but hey, how about that Stecher kid!)
  • With the 8th overall, there's a good chance one of the following potential 1st-pairing D-men are available: Heiskanen, Makar, Liljegren, and since Vancouver's not about to get to the playoffs any time soon, we might as well develop our Tanev replacement.

Why Buffalo does this:

• I believe they want to win soon as they don't want to waste time on some talented and pricey players they have acquired (Ryan O'Reilly, Kane, Lehner). Chris Tanev immediately makes their D legit now as he moves to their top pairing. 
  • Currently, Eichel and ROR already occupy the center position for the top 2 lines so Sam's being under-utilized. 
  • If they are concerned with the loss of Reinhart, with the 5th overall, they can always gamble on a future C (Glass, Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Rasmussen). They can also use that pick to bolster their D.

This idea for a trade is good though I'm not sure if it's doable or not. A lot of parts to assess. I am very much in favour of moving down a few spots to get some extra stuff since I don't see a huge difference between #5 and say #7 or #8 in comparison to most draft years.

29 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Tanev >= Reinhart.  They add something like a 2nd, Kane, swap of 1st for 2nd in 2018, etc.

I hear you, HW, and I would hate to lose Tanev too, but it's a matter of timing for both teams: when does Vancouver think they can legitimately compete for the Cup and when does Buffalo think they can? I think Buffalo's thinking 'now' whereas Vancouver's thinking much later (as Aquilini said, focus on youth). Hence, I had to factor in Tanev's and Reinhart's ages. If it's a matter of adding some smaller pieces on either side, then I would hope that's not a deal-breaker.

I'd be game for that.

9 minutes ago, Whale Tail said:

I think instead of the 3rd they would probably want Baer as well. If they are getting to the 'win' now phase they would want someone to replace some of Reinharts points. 

Ehh...That's getting a little rich for my blood.

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd be game for that.

Ehh...That's getting a little rich for my blood.

That just means that we are getting close to a realistic trade than::D

maybe we do Baer and they thrown in a 3rd than?

5th+ Tanev + Baer

8th + Reinhart + 3rd 

1 minute ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Props to you for a well thought out deal. I'm conflicted because I think Buffalo would prefer a LD, but they could also really use a DFD like Tanev. At the very least, it would certainly get Buffalo thinking.

Hmm

BUF

Hutton
Tanev

VAN
8th OA
Reinhart

Vancouver gives up two big pieces on D in order to replenish the future and get their #1 C

Vancouver keeps its 5th OA and adds 8th OA drafting Liljegren/Makar and Owen Tippett

Liljegren could step right into the NHL

Edler - Stecher
Juolevi - Gudbranson
Sbisa - Liljegren

(assuming they make a deal with LV to not take Sbisa, so good bye Gaunce)

Then forwards:

Eriksson - Reinhart - Boeser
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen (I believe he's still T6)
Sedin - Sedin - Granlund
Cramarossa - Sutter - Dorsett

Archived