The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Armed Forces Thread

Gurn

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Even though you and @SabreFan1 are American I know that you guys actually care about wanting Canada to spend more. Honestly I would like to see Canada at the levels in 1945 now today. Top 3 air force and navy and 1.1 million troops.

Born and raised in Europe, my wife in Vancouver and my kids in the USA.

So I guess I have interest in all 3 of those places.

But I agree with you, it's not about spending more it's being able to defend yourself.

Just in WW2 at least 9 of my close family members died.

I grew up in a place that was very diverse and probably one of the most cosmopolitan places in Europe.

Mosques, Synagogues, Ortodox and Catholic Churches right next to one another.

And one day people just flipped the switch and began murdering each other.

Those that were not able to defend themselves, went to camps or were killed.

So ever since then, I have this opinion that every country needs to have strong military to be able to defend itself.

I have been to Canada many many times and I know that lot of Canadiens believe "we are peace loving nation no one will attack us"

Can't even tell you how many wonderful people got murdered, because of their ethnicity, religion, political affiliation or material possessions.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Even though you and @SabreFan1 are American I know that you guys actually care about wanting Canada to spend more. Honestly I would like to see Canada at the levels in 1945 now today. Top 3 air force and navy and 1.1 million troops.

I and I am assuming most Canadians do not care about being a military power. I do agree that we need to spend enough so that we aren't a compete push over and can defend our interests.

I also don't give two figs about what the cheeto-dusted clown thinks of our spending. At the end of the day Canada will decide how much we spend and we won't kowtow to anyone's demands. 

6 minutes ago, Toews said:

I and I am assuming most Canadians do not care about being a military power. I do agree that we need to spend enough so that we aren't a compete push over and can defend our interests.

I also don't give two figs about what the cheeto-dusted clown thinks of our spending. At the end of the day Canada will decide how much we spend and we won't kowtow to anyone's demands. 

But if you know me buddy I have preaching this long before Trump. I particularly don't trust the Americans nor should we. Wouldn't you agree heavy investments in our military would create jobs and put Canada where it needs to be.

I know you won't watch videos so I won't post it but YouTube the avro arrow, why aren't will building it and creating high paying jobs at home. Our forces are the greatest Canadians and we should stand behind them.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually Greece did default.

I don't think that they went fully bankrupt though.  Their debt was just restructured.  They just weren't able to pay off the full amounts owed.  With people that's considered a type of bankruptcy, with nations it's just a huge downgrade to their credit rating.

If you want to see a bankrupt government, look at Puerto Rico.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

I don't think that they went fully bankrupt though.  Their debt was just restructured.  They just weren't able to pay off the full amounts owed.  With people that's considered a type of bankruptcy, with nations it's just a huge downgrade to their credit rating.

If you want to see a bankrupt government, look at Puerto Rico.

Why is Puerto Rico on the U.S?

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Why is Puerto Rico on the U.S?

They're only an independent territory.  They went into default about a year ago.  Nobody is getting their money and they've had to cut their budgets into the bone.

http://navaltoday.com/2017/05/31/canada-extends-contribution-to-combined-maritime-forces/

"Announced by defence minister Harjit S. Sajjan and parliamentary secretary Jean Rioux, operation Artemis authorizes the Canadian Armed Forces to deploy a number of maritime assets to the Combined Maritime Forces’ Combined Task Force 150 (CTF 150), to bolster security in the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Gulf of Oman, the Arabian Sea, and the Indian Ocean."

"

The extension will see Canada deploy up to 375 personnel, seek command of CTF 150 twice during the four year mandate and provide a Halifax-class frigate once every two years and a CP-140 Aurora Maritime Patrol Aircraft once each year.

Canada is also providing up to $131.4 million in funding to support the four year extension of Operation Artemis to April 30, 2021."

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

@SabreFan1@CBH1926

Edited by Ryan Strome

32 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'll believe it when I see it happen.  Trump may not even be POTUS this time next year.

WaPo didn't even get Canada's spending correct.  They said just over 1% when in actuality it was just a touch under 1%.

However she hit the nail on the head with this statement:

“On the military front, Canada’s geography has meant that we have always been able to count on American self-interest to provide a protective umbrella beneath which we have found indirect shelter,” Freeland said. But she added that to depend totally on U.S. protection would make Canada a “client state.”

It's why in the early 90's I used to have a "go-to" statement that I used to use on people when I went to the clubs on Lundy's Lane in Ontario.  The Canadian acquaintances I used to have would get so mad when I would say, "ahhh Canada, the 51st state". :lol:   I could get away with it because I was an athlete back then and so were most of my friends. ^_^

Also, I know by state she means, "nation-state".  I just get a kick out of telling that story on CDC every now and then.

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'll believe it when I see it happen.  Trump may not even be POTUS this time next year.

WaPo didn't even get Canada's spending correct.  They said just over 1% when in actuality it was just a touch under 1%.

However she hit the nail on the head with this statement:

It's why in the early 90's I used to have a "go-to" statement that I used to use on people when I went to the clubs on Lundy's Lane in Ontario.  The Canadian acquaintances I used to have would get so mad when I would say, "ahhh Canada, the 51st state". :lol:   I could get away with it because I was an athlete back then and so were most of my friends. ^_^

Also, I know by state she means, "nation-state".  I just get a kick out of telling that story on CDC every now and then.

I'm hopeful we will finally see action on this. Defense policy review is released tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm hopeful we will finally see action on this. Defense policy review is released tomorrow. 

The problem is that Canada will either have to make cuts elsewhere (like with healthcare) or issue and take on more national debt.  Both things will be a tough sell to Canadian voters who have pacifistic tendencies.

If it does go through, I really hope Canada does something more than what's already planned with it's navy.

The problem is that Canada will either have to make cuts elsewhere (like with healthcare) or issue and take on more national debt.  Both things will be a tough sell to Canadian voters who have pacifistic tendencies.

If it does go through, I really hope Canada does something more than what's already planned with it's navy.

There is so many other ways of putting together the money. Yes 15 New ships is not enough, a Canadian Senate committee said at least 18 New ships and 12 New diesel electric subs.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

There is so many other ways of putting together the money. Yes 15 New ships is not enough, a Canadian Senate committee said at least 18 New ships and 12 New diesel electric subs.

The only other sustainable way that I didn't list is the one that Trudeau will not do if he wants to stay in power.  Raise taxes.  They're hinting at a 20-year plan.

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The only other sustainable way that I didn't list is the one that Trudeau will not do if he wants to stay in power.  Raise taxes.  They're hinting at a 20-year plan.

I would welcome this plan. It shouldn't matter who is President either it's something Canada has to finally do. Canada has a rich military history and over the last 40 plus years government after government has been disrespectful to the CAF.

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I would welcome this plan. It shouldn't matter who is President either it's something Canada has to finally do. Canada has a rich military history and over the last 40 plus years government after government has been disrespectful to the CAF.

I'm willing to bet that you'd be in the large minority being ok with a raise in your taxes.

I'm willing to bet that you'd be in the large minority being ok with a raise in your taxes.

There's no room up here to increase taxes.  What ever you guys do down there, don't go for universal health care.  

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

There's no room up here to increase taxes.  What ever you guys do down there, don't go for universal health care.  

I don't care what the cost is when it comes to our armed forces. I have made that clear time and time again.

Just now, Alflives said:

The US has the GDP to be able fund single payer healthcare if a properly funded Social Security-like system were to be enacted.  It would need higher FICA-like payments out of people's income which would peeve off conservatives as well as the businesses who bribe the politicians in Washington with "campaign donations".